Fleur De Houblon | Brewery Ommegang

New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Availability: Summer

Nothing is more evocative of summer than the beautiful aroma of flowers, and the favored flowers of brewers are hops. Our brand new summer ale, Fleur de Houblon (Hop Flowers), is brewed to bring the many elements of summer into a refreshing and easy-to-drink Belgian-style ale.

Fleur de Houblon is a rich gold color with distinct floral hops in the aroma that follow through in the taste. Whole-cone Bravo hops are used to impart their earthy, fruity, and floral aromas and flavors. The body and flavor are clean and dry, with pleasing complexity and spicy notes from both primary and secondary fermentation with our unique Ommegang house yeast.

Added by THANAT0PSIS on 04-15-2013

Ratings: 1,084 |  Reviews: 190

I picked up a bottle of Brewery Ommegang's Fleur De Houblon a couple weeks ago for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I like Brewery Ommegang and I always try to get some of their new seasonal's to try and this one seems a little interesting, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks really good, it's got a clean and nice design with a nice hop cone and leaf being the focal point, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a very cloudy straw yellow color that took on more of a golden color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of chunky lacing and it left a little bit of spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness and it's followed by the Belgian yeast being the first to show up and impart lots of estery aromas with some banana and spices coming through and the banana aromas seem to stick out more than the spices. Up next comes the malts which impart a biscuit malt,, sweet malt and doughy aroma and it's followed by the hops which impart a nice citrus rind and tropical fruit aroma with some pineapple and citrus rind aromas seeming to stick out the most. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I have no complaints at all.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the yeast being the first to show up and imparts all those Belgian yeast aspects that they did in the aroma with neither aspects seeming to stick out the most this time. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma but they seem to be a little bit lighter. On the finish comes the hops which still impart those citrus rind and tropical fruit like aspects with the citrus rind and pineapple still coming through the most and there's a medium amount of bitterness with a sweet malt, Belgian yeast and citrus rind like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, I have no complaints at all.

M- Smooth, fairly clean, very crisp, slightly fizzy, a little refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel that worked really well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought it was a good example of a Belgian Pale Ale, I thought the extra hops worked pretty well with this beer and I thought it lived up to being called a Summer Ale. This beer had very good drinkability, it was smooth, fairly clean, very crisp, slightly fizzy, not filling, refreshing and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a few of these in a row with no problem, especially on warm day and I think it makes for a good Belgian Style Summer Ale. What I liked the most about this beer was the drinkability, it was very good and I liked how refreshing it was, it's just what I look for in a summer time beer. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't a single thing that I disliked or would change about this beer, but do I wish it was just a little cheaper. I would for sure buy this beer again and I wouldn't mind keeping a few bottles around throughout the summer. I would recommend this beer to anyone who likes Belgian style beers. All in all I was very happy with this beer, it satisfied my urge for a nice summer time brew and I thought it really hit the spot. This isn't my favorite Belgian Pale Ale or my favorite beer from Brewery Ommegang, but I think it's very solid and as far as a Belgian Style Summer Ale this would have to be my favorite. Great job, you guys really know how to make refreshing and easy drinking Belgian Style beers, keep up the great work.

12oz bottle into pilsner glass.

A - Hazy yellow golden with a titanic bubbly white head.

S - Banana, clove, lemon zest, bread, yeast, bubblegum.

T - Lemon, citrus hops, banana, sweet grains. The hops are more pronounced here than in the aroma. Finishes fairly sweet with a hint of tartness. Belgian yeast and spices are evident.

M - Creamy and smooth, light body. High carbonation, somewhat dry finish.

O - A nice Belgian pale ale that is easy to drink and very refreshing on a hot day. Good balance of flavors.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A beautifully complex brew. Summer Ales are ostensibly 'simple' and 'light'. But this one is sublimely bitter with an enduring aftertaste without being heavy. Boasts a 6.8 ABV but still feels summery. Has that distinctive Ommegang tingly mouth-feel.

Fleur De Houblon from Brewery Ommegang