The Calling IPA India Pale Ale | Boulevard Brewing Co.

The Calling IPA India Pale AleThe Calling IPA India Pale Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The Calling is an undeniable IPA we were driven to make. It's our tribute to like-minded dreamers, adventurous spirits, and glass half-full optimists. It's also our most heavily hopped beer ever, bursting forth with unmistakable tropical fruit and pine hop aromas and flavor supported with a slightly sweet malt character, tapering to a crisp, dry finish. Heed your call and enjoy.

Added by JLaw55 on 12-23-2014

Reviews: 230 | Ratings: 1,487
4.24/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I picked up this bottle at the FGBS here in Lancaster, PA & set it aside for a minute until it suddenly became one in a horizontal! I am bipolar in that I hate the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody, but on the other hand, I love it! it truly gives me opportunities for reviews that I had not previously considered.

From the bottle: "75 IBUs".

Enough! Let's drink! I Pop!ped the cap & grabbed the bottle by its swan-like neck for a gentle pour. The bottle seemed to warm to my gentle caress & gave me no grief as I emptied its belly. The goose was plenty full & and gave up a load for its king. I swirled it 'round 'n' 'round in the glass to raise a finger or two of foamy, soapy, eggshell-white head with modest retention. Ah, ye need not be modest around the likes of me, doll! I've sailed the seven seas, drank deeply of the five Cs & I've seen & done it all, sometimes twice over. Arrrh, yer a golden lass, ain't ye? She weighed in at 24-carats or SRM = 4 -5 with NE-quality clarity for all to see. Suddenly, I was beset by The Gelt Gang of Midas, Mammon & Croesus, all actin' like I owed every man-jack onenna 'em boyos a taste! "Aht wi'ye," I screamed, drawing my cutlass from its scabbard! What buffoons! I lifted me tankard to my nose & breathed deeply. Oi! Did fackin' Simcoe, the ship's cat, take a wee p**s in me beer again?!? I'll cut off the purr (Ha!) kitty's head & use it fer chum fer tonight's keelhaulin'! Aarrgh! This be some smooootttthhh ale! I drank off half of me tankard before I realized it. I like the way that Simcoe managed to bury some berries as part o' her treasure since I taste 'em, but she's still shark bait! Buried blueberries in cat p**s, that's what I like my beer to taste like. Arrrh. The fack 're ye lookin' at, boy-o? I may have a peg leg, but me third leg will still stand up in the presence of a lady, even one such as this! They shoulda given that whoremonger, Helga von Hinten, on "Taboo", an eyepatch. I'd lift it up & skullf**k her like there was no tahmarrah. As it is, jammin' me peg leg in one side & me third leg in the other will have to do. Oh, 'tis a beer fit fer a king, if I actually answered to one. Did I tell ye about our last sail to India? We encountered the flotsam of one of their wrecks! Nowt but a pig on one plank & a cockerel on another! Th' wee beasties were joyous to see the likes of my motley, scurvy crew until the boys wanted to eat them. We're a superstitious lot & I cautioned them that doing so might see us in Davy Jones' Locker. They acceded & now, they are our mascots. I even had our South Seaman tattoo one on the top of each of me feet. That way, if we do sink, I'll make like Jesus Christ himself & walk home, across the water. Speaking of water, I need to make some! This has been quite the drink, I'll tell ye! I was really into the whole kitty/berry bit & I foresee a keg o' this coming aboard for our next voyage.

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

L: Cloudy, orange juice appearance with swirls of yeast on pour that even out to give a uniform haze throughout the glass. A quarter to half-inch head that fades to a spotty, mold-like look on top. Thick, sticky lacing hugs the side of the glass, which I respect.
S: Orange, mango citrus and yeast. I may be drinking this one too cold. I should have let it warm to let the aromas shine through more.
T: At 8.5% there is no hiding this one. Alcohol (like rubbing alcohol, not that I drink it!) almost right off the bat, followed by tart citrus and lip-smacking juiciness.
F: Good carbonation bite. I like it!
O: I enjoy a high alcohol beer that hides it very well. In this case, the alcohol is a tad too prominent for me, which doesn't make it bad, it just loses something. I've had 10% beers that conceal it better, so that to me is the beer's biggest weakness. Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't refuse one, nor should you refuse to try it.

3.77/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a slightly hazy lighter straw yellow with a light white fluffy head. The smell is pretty unremarkable. It's has a very mellow nose, not what I had expected. Nose is of very light pine, almost non existent. Taste of pine, light citrus and a tad bit malty sweetness. It is not overly bitter actually pretty mellow for a so called double IPA. Has a crisp semi dry finish.

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Really light for a Double IPA and a ton of carbonation, bubbles for days, almost looks like a hard cider.

Smells are a little disappointing as I don't get much of anything. Some orange possibly? A tad of earthiness.

Taste, I'm desperately seeking out the 75 IBU's and the 8.5% alcohol. This is incredibly easy drinking, like get yourself in trouble because you downed a 4 pack, stand up to use the bathroom and find yourself on rubber leg street trouble. A little creamy, light, effervescent. I'm really questioning my tasting abilities here. I would never consider this an IPA. The only hints of bitterness present hit the back of my throat with the stickiness that takes a dozen or so gulps to wash away.

But it's actually really good. Whatever it is. I see a few reviews similar to this but the ones praising the grapefruit and pine bomb are simply non existent here.

UPDATE: Next beer from same 4-pack, totally different experience. Much better head retention, cloudier and less effervescent. The taste is much more pronounced, lots of juiciness, heavy on the orange and much greater bitterness. Even better than the last one, really big difference, Score adjusted.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

Draft offering appears a hazy pale yellow color with a white cap that fades leaving a full wall of lace.

Nose is predominantly herbal and citrus hops. The taste is uniquely lemon forward, fruity and sweet like candy almost to the extent that it is perfume-like.

A light bodied brew with modest carbonation. Unique, intetesting and worth trying but I still am not sure what to make of it.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle stamped "Best by 12 Jan 2017" poured into a pint glass.

Look: Hazy golden yellow with a one finger white head. Good head retention.

Smell: Piney hops up front, citrus in the middle, and finishing with more pine.

Taste: Solid malt base, bright pine notes, and a sharp hop bitterness on the swallow. Slightly unbalanced ratio of hop bitterness to flavor.

Feel: Medium body with moderately high carbonation and dry.

Overall: A pretty decent beer. Would have liked to have had some more hop flavor to round out the bitterness.

3.5/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

09/01/2015

Bottle to pilsner glass.
LOOK: Hazy yellow. Lasting White head.
AROMA: Really nice. Aroma is peach, Orange, hops grass, fresh air? Smells great.
TASTE: Taste is a bit of a downer after the nose, but not bad. Some fruitiness, hops come in late but muddled with ash, hair spray, wood.
FEEL: Average carbonation. Feel is light, but a bit astringent.

Interesting beer. Potential here, just not my cup of tea, so I rate it a little better than middling..

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from long-standing notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an unmarked pint glass.

A: Clear, bright gold with a touch of chill haze. Quite a bit of visible carbonation and a big fluffy white head with fairly good retention for a hoppy beer. Very nice looking.

S: Dank, melon, and tropical fruit hops over crisp cracker malts. A touch of grassiness as well. Pretty nice here as well - good fruity aroma, and the malt base gets out of the way.

T: Dank, grapefruit, tropical fruits and melon. Crisp cracker malts, and dry enough to make me wonder if this could be brewed with some honey. More melon flavors come back near the swallow, and finishes with lingering grapefruit pith bitterness.

M: Light body, good carbonation sensation, and the alcohol content is quite well-hidden.

O: Enjoyable, well-made beer. A really nice option to have on the shelf, and an IPA I would grab without hesitation if I saw it around.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Slightly hazy golden color with off-white head. Aroma has overripe fruits and grassy hops. Taste starts with the hops up-front, fruity and resiny, but also quite malty. Finishes quite bitter and harsh. Medium body and carbonation. Quite classic IPA with a pretty harsh hop profile.

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

Got this one from the Albert Heijn somewhere around here.

From a bottle into a snifter
Best Before 19 May 2017

APPEARANCE: Pours a 2+ finger, slightly looser looking, a touch foamy white head with good retention. Clear amber orange, rather light amber, with higher carbonation. Head slowly fades to a full foamy cap and clings to the glass. Splotchy wisp remains leaving a bit of lacing as the glass empties.

SMELL: Caramel and toffee aromas, grapefruit, light orange and lemon citrus zest as well. Fruity and plenty of citrus fruit aromas.

TASTE: Toffee and caramel with light melon notes up front. Some grapefruit at the swallow with a bolder and lingering finish of caramel sweetness, some light alcohol, some grapefruit and light citrus flavors, as well as some healthy hop bitterness. Plenty of sweetness up front here as well.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy and smooth enough on the palate, goes down fine and finishes slightly mouth-coating.

OVERALL: This is okay. The hop profile is not quite as impressive as I’d hoped, especially after the citrus and fruity qualities on the nose. A decent beer but not in the top class of DIPAs.

10-7-16 (draft, Laurel Tavern, Studio City) faint "tropical" aroma, not that much different than the "Fortunate Islands" I just finished, maybe a smidge maltier, somewhat caught in between styles, 3.1

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%

L- Definitely a lighter IPA. Straw and amber color combined. Nice foamy white head.
S- Awesome aroma. Banana, orange, mango, and some other tropical sweetness. Hoppyness follows the initial fruity aroma.
T- Flavor is off the bat tasty with a slight, slight booziness that follows. The flavor is toned down and makes the beer overall very refreshing. I think it works pretty well with this beer, light and flavorful. I could drink these all night long.
F- Champaign-y. Fizzy and pretty heavy carbonation, at the same time, the beer is pretty damn thin. But, I like it.
O- Best beer I've had in a long time. It's tasty, and elegant. For an imperial Ipa, its very smooth and light. This is what I love about beer, if you can make it different enough, I will like it. Like I said, I could drink this all day. Good job, Boulevard Brewing Co. I will seek this out again.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

I guess my bottle is not super fresh because the piney and fruity (apricot, maracujá) are a bit faded. Taste is great with enough malt sweetness to balance the bold hops. Dangerously drinkable for the abv. I am happy that Boulevard is now that easily available in the Netherlands. Blame it on their deal with Duvel Mortgart

A - nice clear golden amber in appearance, white head doesnt stick that long.
S - big pine, grapefruit, hop resin, lemon
T - big pine, grapefruit, orange, lemon, hop resin, nice and bitter
M - light medium body, alc covered, aftertaste is bitter grapefruit rind and pine
O - pretty standard west coast style ipa. Better than your average beer, average for your average ipa.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy yellow with a good 2" foamy head and great lacing that hangs on glass each sip. Smells very fruit filled with nice hops notes. Taste is awesome, smacked with hops and nice bitter blend eased with some citrus to provide a balanced and very pleasing beer. The finish is clean, dry and slightly bitter with a finish of citrus. Overall an excellent beer, this is one of my favorite IPA so far, very happy with this one and will always buy it when available.
Cheers to Boulevard great beer!!!

3.59/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Draught @ Hooters Kansas City. This one pours a clear golden color. There was a thin white head with minimal lacing. The nose is lighter. Malts and grassy hops. The taste is a bit light for the style. Some sweet malts, faint bitterness. Some grain and orange flavors.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Pure chance that I bought this. Recommended by a fellow beer enthusiast. Just bought one to try. Glad I did and I'm on my way to buy a few more. Definitely hoppy as they said on the bottle. Just a "tad" of bitterish after taste. Generally that turns me off but this is an exception to my huge generality.

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Although The Calling is an impressive IPA, it is not a unique one. It has all the calling cards of an IPA that wants to stand out but still gets the silver; bright but strong, citrus-y but keeps it's bitterness intact and out of the way of punches of orange and sour... It didn't surprise me to see that it boasts a safe (but strong) 75 IBU.

Enough to draw attention, this beer screams "I have attitude, but only enough for you to remember I'm not terrible". 8/10, What it lacks in clarity and innovation is made up for in reliability as a respectable (but expected) taste.

3.91/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had a bottle of this from a buddy of mine poured into a pint glass. Nice looking beer good taste normally I do not like beers from this brewery but I would buy this one.

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the neck of the bottle: L0510 6 0922 D 07OCT2016

Appearance: The body is a light golden orange color that is too hazy to see through but I can see a lot of fine-grain suspended solids. The head is white with a fluffy, creamy, bubbly appearance that has very good lacing and retention.

Aroma: It starts out with this decent apricot aroma but it fades into the background quite a bit. The aroma of this beer is nice at first but not very strong. Alcohol comes through a bit which isn't really a bad thing considering it is 8.5% ABV but it is worth mentioning. There is a bit of a spicy yeast aroma.

Taste: It has a bit of a sweet grain flavor with a bit of honey and a light bit of pine with an orange rind flavor at the end. It has some good flavors and the flavors seem to be "bright." There is a grain flavor but it isn't heavy tasting and it doesn't have a caramel or toffee flavor to it.

Mouthfeel: It is a lighter bodied beer that has a bit of texture on the palate. It is not a crisp beer but it is not a chewy one either. It straddles somewhere inbetween.

Overall: This beer is a bit of a mixed bag. It tastes good but it isn't particularly memorable. I had a good drinking experience with this beer but there were no real elements that stood out to me. Overall I would recommend it as it is a good beer. I would probably drink it again too. The greatest strength of this beer is that it feels very light for what it is. I think that if the aroma of the beer were improved it would probably bring the entire drinking experience to another level. I would look for it in a keg because of the possibility that it might have an improved aroma.

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Alaska and Tahiti were both on business trips to Kansas City (for some reason) an hooked up. Nine months later they had this little dude to take selfies with. Pine needles and citrus on a bed of hops.

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured into pint glass and my nose was blasted with pine. Mango arrived soon after. After first pour, between the almost rancid pine and the unexpected amber color, I was a bit unhappy with my new selection- However, after the first sip I was pleasantly surprised. The finish is completely opposite of smell. Extremely smooth and crisp, a bit sweet and leaves me wanting another. In spite of the smell, this is extremely drinkable and will definitely be buying again.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip

L: Pours a light golden amber color... two fingers of sticky white head. Great lacing.

S: Pineapple, mango, and citrus. Very fruity hop aroma.

T/F: A strong malt backbone sets the table for a bit fruity/citrus hop profile. Lots of tropical fruits and mango... faint pine in the background. Almost sweet... resinous and oily. Finish is clean.

O: If you like big tropical fruit style hop profiles then this is your bear. A delicious DIPA... one I could have every day.

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

The Calling actually screams to be drunk - its fetching, blazing golden highlights practically reach out to grab you! Unfortunately, this otherwise clear, coruscating, honeyed appearance is mired by flakes of yeast sediment, likely the result of poor storage - not on my end, but the retailer's - over the last couple, particularly hot summer months.

Still, the head is hearty and the aroma healthy - there's no shortage of tropical and orchard fruits in this bouquet. There's a green tea-like bitterness that underscores flavours of peach, tangerine, pineapple and apricot. Subtle chamomile and jasmine-like floral notes make their way in there too, as does a pinch of dried oregano-like herbalness.

The Calling drinks with an almost fruit nectar-like mouthfeel that is pulpy and viscous with sweet, borderline juicy undertones. That oversteeped green tea and the little bit of steamed spinach bitterness keeps it from tasting too exotic, though strong flavours of melon rind, sweet pear, lychee fruit, and pineapple flesh are hard to ignore.

Let's get something straight: this isn't trying to be the most monumental, over-the-top American DIPA - a year-round offering, the 8.5% and 75 IBU aren't marketed to die-hards willing to sleep on the sidewalk waiting for a limited release but, rather, aims to appeal to those who like hops and may want to trade-up to something grittier and gutsier (but still have an easy ride).

Indeed, The Calling is neither more sharp nor abrasive than most standard IPAs, despite its chewier, chunkier core and more intriguing hop profile. Hardly more challenging than Single Wide, this has a little more dimension but is doubtful to prove to be too rich for most people. It is a very attractive, approachable DIPA whatever your preferences.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

New at my parts, this great little IPA immediately introduces itself as a representative of the Sip of Sunshine school of IPAs, with two slight differences. It is a touch more bitter (although this bitterness tends to dissipate, the more you drink of it) and it has a velvety feel.
Otherwise, it's robust but not obtrusively so. Great nose, perfect head, lacing and carbonation.
An excellent choice if you are looking to pick up something refreshing yet serious. One of my favourite beer of all time.

The Calling IPA India Pale Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.