Dry Stout | Boulevard Brewing Co.

good
Dry StoutDry Stout

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Velvety black and perfectly opaque, this surprisingly smooth, drinkable beer is a delightful harmony of smoky roasted flavors and tangy, coffee-like notes. Available only on tap at fine establishments throughout our distribution region.

Added by Jason on 06-02-2002

3.84/5  rDev +7.6%

Enjoyed on tap at The Westside Local in Kansas City where it was poured into a standard pint tumbler. It's been a long time since I had it last, so I figured I better do it before it goes the way of the Dodo. Boulevard discontinued the bottled version awhile ago and sent out the final kegs of the draft version back in March 2013 if I have heard correctly.

Appearance - The body is dark walnut brown bordering on pitch black. No light is passing through whatsoever. Atop the body sits a surprisingly unimpressive three-quarters finger, and the bubbling gives me the impression that this was not served on nitro tap, as is standard of this beer. Head is a light brown cocoa and the bubbles are similar to what you might see on a soft drink.

Smell - Faint roasted malt characteristic, some tree bark and earthiness, as well as faint undertones of roasted cacao nibs. While all those elements are detectible, the entire smell is a bit polite for my taste. Of course, I think that's fairly typical of the style.

Taste - Similar to the smell, with notes of walnut, roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate and freshly damp soil. And like the smell, the taste isn't terribly robust or in your face. The roasted characteristics give way to an ultimately dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and carbonation on the light side of moderate. The overall feel isn't nearly as creamy as it's supposed to be, but I can't penalize them too much because I again think this is not on the standard nitro tap.

Overall, this is a beer I really like, but I can understand why Boulevard might be discontinuing it. I see it as a better version of Guinness, but I also don't drink the style terribly often, so I'm not a reliable consumer. And I have a feeling most regular Guinness drinkers would just assume stick with their favorite. It's a tough spot for Boulevard to be in, hence the discontinuation. I'll miss Dry Stout, but there are so many other Boulevard beers that I'd be much sadder to see disappear.

3.25/5  rDev -9%

3.25/5  rDev -9%

4.25/5  rDev +19%

3.74/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sampled on tap at the Boulevard Brewery tasting room on 7/5/2013. Wish they still bottled this beer, they have gone to keg-only on this brew. So any recent bottle reviews have been aged (send some my way!). Very aggressive settling. Faint nose of chocolate and coffee. Tastes of a quality but uncomplicated dry stout. Light-bodied and crisp, with a dry finish. In the vein of Guinness, but a bit dryer. Like I said, wish it was more available outside of local bars and restaurants.

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Dry Stout from Boulevard Brewing Co.