Bob's '47 Oktoberfest | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Bob's '47 OktoberfestBob's '47 Oktoberfest
3.67/5
Bob's '47 OktoberfestBob's '47 Oktoberfest

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Our fall seasonal beer, Bob’s ’47 Oktoberfest is a medium-bodied, dark amber brew with a malty flavor and well-balanced hop character. With this Munich-style lager we salute our friend Bob Werkowitch, Master Brewer and graduate of the U.S. Brewer’s Academy, 1947.

Added by Todd on 08-31-2002

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

3.87/5  rDev +5.4%

From notes:

Nice pour. Chestnut, acorn..with a bit of amber. The head is nice looking at first but dies down. Average lacing

Nutty aroma up front but the hops are not shy here. Sweet caramel and very ripe apples.

The hops are the balancing force here. I'm guessing the Noble variety...it should be...with the sharp green grassiness and light citrus. But the malt is what I'm looking for. It seems they put in a ton of malt just to counteract the hops. That is, it seems the hops were the first ingredient (well, besides water) and they said, 'oh snap...we need more malt'. Caramel and toasted bread, some light apple. Nutty. Somewhat grainy, not as clean as I would like.

While this may be a better-than-average marzen, it's still a nice beer.

3.82/5  rDev +4.1%

I picked this beer up at the 1960 and Cutten Spec's a couple weeks ago. A little late in the season to see an Oktoberfest, but I am always excited to see any new O-Fest I haven't tried. Let's see what this particular offering from Boulevard has to offer.

Appearance: Pours a very clear slightly orange-amber color with a small 1/4" head of off white bubbles after a pretty aggressive pour. The head faded to a pretty substantial ring where the beer meets the glass. There are a few bubbles rising, but they seem to only stick for a few seconds once they make it to the top.

Aroma: The aroma in this beer is pretty much like I would expect it to be. Mostly toasty notes from Munich malt and some mild light caramel sweetness, some bread crusts, and a subtle noble hop character in the background providing background support and adding fresh complexity. As the beer warms up some, the toasty notes soften up and leave the light caramel and mild hops in the nose primarily.

Taste: The flavor has significantly more bitterness from the hops than the aroma let on. There is a pretty significant slug of toasty sweetness to hit you in the beginning of the sip, but then the dryness from the attenuation and the hops take over and lead you into the finish. In the very end, there is a little bit of relief from the hops, but this isn't until late. The carbonation is ample for the style, but the body is a little light, so it comes across feeling a bit thin on the palate.

Opinion: I was diging this beer until I got to the drinking part. It isn't bad, but the balance is a little off for the style. It is OK for a commercial beer, and I wouldn't mind drinking it again as it definitely IS drinkable. I just really enjoy Hacker Pschorr O-Fest, which is practically like a milkshake in flavor and mouthfeel. This beer is a long way from that, but still a decent attempt at the style and one worth trying out if you get a chance.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: nice orange hue with a completely clear body and a finger of frothy ivory foam. I like it.

Smell: sweet, caramelly malt aroma. Hints of nuttiness. Hops are practically nonexistent, though, and the overall effect is imbalanced.

Taste: again, sweet and caramelly malt with very little hop character and a low bitterness which only lightly appears at the end. The hops I do get are noble and earthy in character.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and concomitant creaminess. I like it!

Overall: a decent Oktoberfest, but I don't think I'd seek it out again.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Bob's '47 Oktoberfest from Boulevard Brewing Co.