Nutcracker Ale | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Nutcracker AleNutcracker Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Availability: Fall

Nutcracker Ale is Boulevard’s holiday gift for real beer lovers. This hearty, warming brew is a classic winter ale, deep amber in color, with hints of molasses balanced by the “spiciness” of freshly harvested Chinook hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-11-2002

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

4.5/5  rDev +19%

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

3.25/5  rDev -14%

3.73/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz bottle poured into my Devil's Backbone glass. It poured caramel brown in color with a frothy, bubbly head covering the top. Good head retention.

The aroma has a good amount of malty, caramel flavors to it with some notes of brown sugar as well. I get some herbal spices to it as well, which compliment the maltiness pretty well.

The taste shows a little more of a herbal hoppiness to it with a touch of pine and citrus. The malty, caramel and brown sugar flavors come out as well, especially in the finish. It comes together pretty well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being a little above average. Overall it was a pretty good beer. Pretty flavorful and easy drinking. There wasn't really anything really outstanding about it but it was a pretty solid version of the style.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

I really enjoyed this brew when I had it around Christmas time. Lo and behold, I’m in this ghetto little liquor store I’ve never been in the other day, and I ask the guy for some Boulevard. He points me in the right direction and says “I gotta get rid of this Nutcracker Ale s*it, or it’ll go bad. I’ll give you half price.” Ok. Did you really have to twist my arm? Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance – Pours an awesome looking dark amber/toffee color with a nice three finger head and excellent lacing for the entirety of the glass. It’s everything I remembered this beer to be.

Smell – The nose on this brew is interesting. At first whiff it kinda smells like a pale ale, but after a few sniffs there is certainly a malty presence and even a subdued spice in the smell. Got a nice pine, citrus hoppiness.

Taste – Malts and spices up front, on target with the winter warmer style. What I really like about it is the citrusy and pine hops at the finish to balance it out. A good combination, not like many other winter warmers I have had. I really enjoy this brew, kinda wish they did it year-round.

Mouthfeel – Light bodied with some decent carbonation to it. Not too bad at all. Finishes with some bitterness that will stay with you a minute.

Overall – Like I said, I really like this beer, and wish they would do it year round and just call it something else. It’s got a decent ABV, tastes good, just presents a taste and style combination that you don’t see every day, which I think is what makes it so fun. I could easily drink a copious amount of this brew while I read a book by the fire in between runs for logs. Awesome.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

Nutcracker Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.