Lunar Ale | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Lunar AleLunar Ale
3.42/5
Lunar AleLunar Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Dark Wheat Ale

Our first new year-round beer since 1996, Lunar Ale is in a category all its own. Brewed using a unique aromatic yeast, this refreshing variety is best described as a cloudy brown ale with a complex, malty aroma and flavor, and a crisp, dry finish.

Added by bditty187 on 01-13-2007

2.97/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle via trade thanks to stephens101 on BA.

Pours cloudy mud brown with a one-finger off-white head.

Aroma is pretty nice and typical with banana, clove, and malty sweetness.

Flavor starts off decent, with caramel malt, banana, and clove. Nothing special, but all right. Then a weird off-flavor hits on the finish: something fairly acrid and mildly vegetal, possibly DMS. This lingers on the aftertaste.

Palate is somewhat thin and watery for the style.

Overall, a somewhat boring and slightly flawed example of the style. Would be good for someone like Indian Wells, but is a disappointment coming from Boulevard. Drinkability is not bad though despite this.

2.97/5  rDev -13.2%

I wasn't really sure what the style of this beer was supposed to be. Says Dark Wheat above, but wasn't very special in the dark or the wheat category.

A - Hazy light brown/dark gold. Some head
S - Apple, light caramel, belgian
T - much of the same notes from the smell, not particularly interesting though.
M - Watery, Carbonated
D - ehh, isn't terrible, but not interesting.

Pours to a thin white head and deep amber color. Aroma is of cloves and bubblegum with some sweet malt coming through. Flavor is more of the same with a slightly malty finish. Not a terribly enjoyable beer in my opinion, but it is decently made. I've had better amber wheats.

Pours brown in color with no head forming on the pour. A bit of light peaks through the edges and adds a reddish tone. Smell is all roasted malts.
There is a definite spice and lemon flavor going on in the taste. Characteristics and flavor closely resembling a wit. Decent twist on the style. However with the flavors, I'm expecting something very light, crisp and refreshing.
Another uninspiring beer.

A - hazy auburn, short off white head that quickly dissipates.
S - Light caramel malts, a touch of wheat and a complimentary light bitter hops
T - similar to the aroma
M - light bodied.
D - Had this with a spicy mexican dinner. The lightness of the beer with just this side of the middle caramel body complimented my dinner quite nicely. On it's own merits I'd choose something different but to compliment a spicy dinner it worked for me.

3.03/5  rDev -11.4%

12oz brown bottle
"Best By 12/24/07"

a: Slightly hazy amber brown with a small amount of white lacing around the edges. No lacing.

s: Mild aroma, hints of caramel malt and wheat, little else.

t: Weak flavor, some malt and wheat, a touch of bitterness in the finish.
The sweetness of the malt is similar to a soda.

m: Carbonation provides some bite. Body is light and smooth.

d: Goes down pretty easy, but the flavor just isn't very good.
When I heard that Boulevard was making a new beer, I was thrilled.
When I first tried Lunar, I was dissapointed.
Maybe I just built it up too much in my mind, maybe I just don't like the style, but I keep wanting to like this beer and its not happening.

On a positive note, I do seem to dislike it less each time I try it.
I think this is Bully's worst offering, but that only goes to show how good the rest of their beers are.

3.03/5  rDev -11.4%

Hazy medium-dark brown beer. Head forms nicely but dissipates quickly. Yeast + malt odors. Taste is a combination of malt and light spice with a gentle tangy bite of a finish. The mouthfeel is medium to light with generous carbonation and a moderate amount of sticky residue. Nothing in particular stands out about this beer. While I wouldn't turn it down if offered to me, I also wouldn't choose this beer over something with more character.

Like other reviewers, my brother noted similarities between this beer and ZON. He summed his opinion up by stating "it's a lot like a darker ZON without the orange and coriander."

Lunar Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.