The Sixth Glass Quadrupel Ale | Boulevard Brewing Co.

The Sixth Glass Quadrupel AleThe Sixth Glass Quadrupel Ale
4.16/5
Exceptional
The Sixth Glass Quadrupel AleThe Sixth Glass Quadrupel Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

”Do you know what dwells in a glass?” asks Ole, in Hans Christian Andersen's The Watchman of the Tower. Better known for stories such as The Little Mermaid, Andersen wrote this short, cautionary tale for a somewhat older audience. Our quadrupel ale, also meant for the mature connoisseur, is a deep and mysterious libation, dark auburn and full-bodied, its sweetness deceptive. As Ole describes the glasses in turn, their contents become more ominous until, in the sixth glass...

Added by Bitterbill on 11-15-2007

4.5

Ratings: 2,922 |  Reviews: 838

1.25/5  rDev -70%

1.8/5  rDev -56.7%

Ugh, miss. Raisin finish is too much to bear. Not good at all.

1.95/5  rDev -53.1%

12 oz bottle, poured into a wide-mouth snifter at approximately 50 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange-amber, and forms a thick orange head with good retention and lacing. I'm hesitant right away, because I've found orange in the color of a beer, particularly in the head, generally indicates significant hop presence.

Smell: Sweetness strikes right up front, all cotton-candi sugar, wreathed through with notes of plum and fig. There's something faintly floral in the aroma as well, but as it is faint, I'm keeping hope alive.

Taste: Right out of the gate, and through the entirety of the tasting process, my hop-sensitive tongue picks up a significant torrent of something floral and spicy, which dominates the entire flavor profile for me start to finish. By the end, I can pick out something resembling a caramel and candi sugar sweetness, and possibly some dark fruits, but for the most part I get only a mouthful of floral-spice hops that also have some citrus along.

Mouthfeel: Extremely sharp with carbonation.

Overall: I won't be picking this one back up. When I want a quad, I'm looking for yeast esters to shine against a backdrop of sweet malt. This doesn't accomplish that at all. It tastes like an attempt to hop up a quad. Back to Abt 12, Rochefort 10, Three Philosophers, Trois Pistoles, and so forth I go.

1.96/5  rDev -52.9%

12oz to duvel tulip
Quadrupel
10.5% ABV
Best by 12/26/14

A – Opaque murky brown. Can barely make out some sediment and bubbles near the glass wall. Thin but complete layer of khaki head.

S – A lot of alcohol and some slightly sweet dark fruit. The alcohol is potent. Dark cherry, raisin, a bit of leather.

T – Some dark fruit that’s washed away by the alcohol. The alcohol isn’t very sharp, but it’s there. The cherries and raisins are up front (though a fizziness detracts) and then get washed away by alcohol. Very slight characteristic Belgian taste emerges for a second, then a light alcohol taste is the only taste. Finishes out with alcohol and a pinch of dark fruit.

M – A fizziness up front that obscures the taste for a second, I don’t like this. Medium bodied for most of the way through. Alcohol is apparent but not sharp. A semi-wet finish, appropriate for style.

O – Unfortunately this beer has large dings in every major category. I regret buying a four pack to cellar, but will see if the alcohol mellows with age. It ought to, or I also made a small (much smaller) mistake on buying a half case of Parabola; so I’m definitely hopeful. Alcohol was everywhere, almost like someone put brown sugar, cherries, and raisins into some Malibu/tonic. I don’t have much nice to say, so I’ll stop writing.
3, 2, 2, 2.25, 2.25; 2.15.

2.16/5  rDev -48.1%

750 mL bottle into a Duvel tulip. Reviewed from notes.

After an "Old Man and the Sea"-esque struggle, I was finally able to uncork this sucker. Pours ruby, magenta, and it's nearly translucent. 1.5-finger tan head that really lasted, with a creamy consistency. Nice lacing.

Dark fruits in the aroma, with some toffee and brown sugar as well. There's a definitive sour twang as well, with a tart cherry-like smell that becomes more evident as it warms. I'll be damned, but this almost smells like super generic, bottom-of-the-barrel duck sauce, saccharine sweet with a touch of citrus. There's also a slight metallic note at work, though it's not terrible

The taste is very bready, with a ton of biscuit malt. The dark fruits from the aroma come into play, but that bread character totally overwhelms them. Astringent bitterness in the finish, this isn't nearly as sweet as the aroma. Worst of all, there's a tinny, metallic taste that's terribly off-putting.

Mouthfeel is a little overcarbonated, and could stand to be toned down. For a beer this big, it's quite thin.

Given that St. Bernardus is roughly the same price, this is quite a tough sell. An inferior quad, and an unfortunate miss from Boulevard.

2.2/5  rDev -47.1%

I had many friends tell me that "The Sixth Glass" was some outstanding brew and that I needed to try some. So i dropped about $10 on a 4 pack of some on my way home from work. Popped the top and the beer smelled good. Took a swig and let me tell you it was a terrible tasting beer. I should have thrown the whole pack out the window but I figured I'd give it a shot. No matter how many you drink, it's still terrible.

It has some side effects.

1. Gut Busting Diarrhea that gives you very little notice.

2. After 2 at 10.5%, you become the ultimate asshole

3. A 3 day headache that would make a preacher curse.

My advice don't waste your money. I realize it's voted world class but pond water is more tasty! Or hell sewer water!

2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.54/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.55/5  rDev -38.7%

The Sixth Glass Quadrupel Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.16 out of 5 with 2,922 ratings