The Sixth Glass Quadrupel Ale | Boulevard Brewing Co.

The Sixth Glass Quadrupel AleThe Sixth Glass Quadrupel Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

”Do you know what dwells in a glass?” asks Ole, in Hans Christian Andersen's The Watchman of the Tower. Better known for stories such as The Little Mermaid, Andersen wrote this short, cautionary tale for a somewhat older audience. Our quadrupel ale, also meant for the mature connoisseur, is a deep and mysterious libation, dark auburn and full-bodied, its sweetness deceptive. As Ole describes the glasses in turn, their contents become more ominous until, in the sixth glass...

Added by Bitterbill on 11-15-2007

12oz to duvel tulip
Quadrupel
10.5% ABV
Best by 12/26/14

A – Opaque murky brown. Can barely make out some sediment and bubbles near the glass wall. Thin but complete layer of khaki head.

S – A lot of alcohol and some slightly sweet dark fruit. The alcohol is potent. Dark cherry, raisin, a bit of leather.

T – Some dark fruit that’s washed away by the alcohol. The alcohol isn’t very sharp, but it’s there. The cherries and raisins are up front (though a fizziness detracts) and then get washed away by alcohol. Very slight characteristic Belgian taste emerges for a second, then a light alcohol taste is the only taste. Finishes out with alcohol and a pinch of dark fruit.

M – A fizziness up front that obscures the taste for a second, I don’t like this. Medium bodied for most of the way through. Alcohol is apparent but not sharp. A semi-wet finish, appropriate for style.

O – Unfortunately this beer has large dings in every major category. I regret buying a four pack to cellar, but will see if the alcohol mellows with age. It ought to, or I also made a small (much smaller) mistake on buying a half case of Parabola; so I’m definitely hopeful. Alcohol was everywhere, almost like someone put brown sugar, cherries, and raisins into some Malibu/tonic. I don’t have much nice to say, so I’ll stop writing.
3, 2, 2, 2.25, 2.25; 2.15.

2.16/5  rDev -47.2%

750 mL bottle into a Duvel tulip. Reviewed from notes.

After an "Old Man and the Sea"-esque struggle, I was finally able to uncork this sucker. Pours ruby, magenta, and it's nearly translucent. 1.5-finger tan head that really lasted, with a creamy consistency. Nice lacing.

Dark fruits in the aroma, with some toffee and brown sugar as well. There's a definitive sour twang as well, with a tart cherry-like smell that becomes more evident as it warms. I'll be damned, but this almost smells like super generic, bottom-of-the-barrel duck sauce, saccharine sweet with a touch of citrus. There's also a slight metallic note at work, though it's not terrible

The taste is very bready, with a ton of biscuit malt. The dark fruits from the aroma come into play, but that bread character totally overwhelms them. Astringent bitterness in the finish, this isn't nearly as sweet as the aroma. Worst of all, there's a tinny, metallic taste that's terribly off-putting.

Mouthfeel is a little overcarbonated, and could stand to be toned down. For a beer this big, it's quite thin.

Given that St. Bernardus is roughly the same price, this is quite a tough sell. An inferior quad, and an unfortunate miss from Boulevard.

2.2/5  rDev -46.2%

I had many friends tell me that "The Sixth Glass" was some outstanding brew and that I needed to try some. So i dropped about $10 on a 4 pack of some on my way home from work. Popped the top and the beer smelled good. Took a swig and let me tell you it was a terrible tasting beer. I should have thrown the whole pack out the window but I figured I'd give it a shot. No matter how many you drink, it's still terrible.

It has some side effects.

1. Gut Busting Diarrhea that gives you very little notice.

2. After 2 at 10.5%, you become the ultimate asshole

3. A 3 day headache that would make a preacher curse.

My advice don't waste your money. I realize it's voted world class but pond water is more tasty! Or hell sewer water!

2.25/5  rDev -45%

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.54/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.55/5  rDev -37.7%

2.71/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer comes in a rich amber red color with a fluffy white head.

The aroma has bright fresh sugary fruit sweetness. Tart plums, some breadiness, caramel sweetness. Boozy cherries, figs, alcohol comes through.

The flavor attacks aggressively of alcohol throughout. From the top of the back to the back of the throat, there is alcohol burn. There’s a slight candied fruit note, almost a gummy candy flavor, but other than that, alcohol is all I can find.

Booze booze booze. The beer was absolutely dominated by alcohol. It gets even worse as it warms and I had to pour it out. I don’t know if it was infected as it nasted like nail polish and alcohol.

2.71/5  rDev -33.7%

A = brown, cloudy and thick, a little like an unfiltered cider. Head puffs up to about an inch but is thin an dissipates quickly.

S = Figs, apples and an almost soapy alcohol

T = More figs and apples, brown sugar. Very sweet aftertaste with a metallic hint. Alcohol.

M = Not much body, with an astringent feel left behind.

D = Lacks balance between the sweet fruits and the alcohol. Reminds me of watered down raisinjack. I'll finish the bottle but won't buy another.

2.85/5  rDev -30.3%

Tasted 27 August 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a clear dark amber. Despite a very gentle pour, I've got some serious floaties in my glass. One finger of yellowish head, good retention, decent lacing. Not bad, just wish those floaties were back in the bottle.

Smell is delightful quad-essence. Big, sugary, and fruity. Brown sugar and figs dominate, with noticeable alcohol in the back. I'd like a little more yeast, please.

Taste is, well, just not all that good. It has a good side, but the bad side is much too strong to let that nice friendly side shine through. Good side is soft and sweet, though not as deep as I'd like it to be. Bad side is sharply bitter, with the alcohol screaming at me as if this were straight liquor. I know to expect the alcohol taste in high-ABV beers, but this is something else entirely.

Medium body, very sticky, but with really high carbonation. Should a quad be this fizzy? I don't think so. A little odd.

After continuing to sip this, I had to downgrade the taste from a 3. I struggled through this glass, and I don't ever plan to drink it again. Hoping that Boulevard's BBQ is nothing like this (at least, nothing like the bad half). How does a 10% beer come across as THIS alcohol-forward.

2.87/5  rDev -29.8%

Drank a 750 ml bottle from Batch 68256

A-Clear mahagoney with large than head that hangs on.

S-Sweet, malty, raisin, toasted and burnt malt

T-Hoppier than the world class Belgian Quads and unlike them the alcohol is not well hidden.

M-Light for the style. More carbonation and astringency than others.

D-Below average for the style due to the alcohol burn that is balanced better with the real good versions of this style

The appearance and smell are by far the best attributes of this quad. I had big hopes that quickly faded after tasting. Not a bad beer but doesn't match up with some of the Belgian/Netherlands versions.

The Sixth Glass Quadrupel Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.