The Sixth Glass Quadrupel Ale | Boulevard Brewing Co.

The Sixth Glass Quadrupel AleThe Sixth Glass Quadrupel Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

”Do you know what dwells in a glass?” asks Ole, in Hans Christian Andersen's The Watchman of the Tower. Better known for stories such as The Little Mermaid, Andersen wrote this short, cautionary tale for a somewhat older audience. Our quadrupel ale, also meant for the mature connoisseur, is a deep and mysterious libation, dark auburn and full-bodied, its sweetness deceptive. As Ole describes the glasses in turn, their contents become more ominous until, in the sixth glass...

Added by Bitterbill on 11-15-2007

Ratings: 2,899 |  Reviews: 831
3.91/5  rDev -4.4%

My first official review!

Appearance- Started pouring this into a glass and instantly loved the caramel hue to this dark amber. Gave a great thick head, but it dissipated pretty rapidly; however, it left pretty lasting lines on the side of the glass. I saw small amounts of sediment towards the end of the glass, but that doesn't bother me.

Smell- You can definitely smell the spice aromas in this beer. They reminded me of a Fat Tire, but on steroids.

Taste- I liked the strong flavor of this beer. It was well balanced. It had sweet notes, followed by slightly bitter, with a spicy overlay. I wanted to open the second one before I finished the first.

Mouthfeel- I thought the carbonation fit well with the beer. It was just bubbly enough to awaken my taste buds. I felt like it left my mouth a little filmy afterwards. I didn't enjoy that very much.

Overall- I really enjoyed this beer. I would definitely recommend Sixth Glass to a friend. For a 10% beer you can taste it, but it didn't overwhelm me. Strong bold flavor, but smooth all the way through.

4.66/5  rDev +13.9%

My first review! The past few weeks I've been drinking these and really digging the taste. Out of the handful of quad ales I've tried, I like this the best. Drinking one right now, good rich color, a lot of particles in it but I like the added sediment. You could pour it slowly to reduce the cloudiness. Head doesn't stay put for long though compared to other abbey ales kind of reducing aromas. Or maybe I should stop typing and finish this brew right. Cheers!

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle poured into Chimay goblet.

A - Pours a murky burnt orange / brown with 2 fingers of foamy off white head, which dissipates fairly rapidly. A good amount of yeast sediment from my pour.

S - Lots of dark fruit in the nose, with a definite sweetness and maltiness. Raisins and sugar are apparent.

T - Dark fruits are at the forefront: raisin, plum, caramel, sweet bread, molasses, and candied sugar. No bitterness to speak of. This is a sweet, malt forward beer with minimal bitterness and spice.

M - Sticky sweet moderate body with moderate-to-high carbonation. There is a sticky, sugary fruitiness that lingers in the mouth.

O - A pretty good quad, especially from an American brewery. Nothing spectacular, but it is solid in every aspect.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

The Sixth Glass Quadrupel Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.