The Sixth Glass | Boulevard Brewing Co.

The Sixth GlassThe Sixth Glass

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

”Do you know what dwells in a glass?” asks Ole, in Hans Christian Andersen's The Watchman of the Tower. Better known for stories such as The Little Mermaid, Andersen wrote this short, cautionary tale for a somewhat older audience. Our quadrupel ale, also meant for the mature connoisseur, is a deep and mysterious libation, dark auburn and full-bodied, its sweetness deceptive. As Ole describes the glasses in turn, their contents become more ominous until, in the sixth glass...

Added by Bitterbill on 11-15-2007

Reviews: 805 | Ratings: 2,812
4.62/5  rDev +13%

Thanks go out to n8dietz... you da man!!!

Mahagony and ruby caramel color beneath a luminous three finger head. The retention is fleeting after a few sips. No lace or stickage from the foam. The bubbling is very nice.

I smell baking bread and smoked black cherries on my first whiff. Then a more simply sweet aroma of caramelized brown sugar mixed with a vanilla bourbon. Superb aroma to this quad.

The taste starts with caramelized cherries and apples. The middle has those sweet flavors take on a more oak and sweet whiskey character. Carbonation from start to finish seems to add flourish to the abv. warmth from the midle to the finish. It's a bubbly and palate warming sip.

This is indeed a spot on quad. Sippable, complex and pleasant on the palate. One of the best tasting quads I've had yet.

4.62/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a goblet.

Boulevard's Quadrupel offering pours a rich dark amber color with just a touch of garnet hue. The light colored head dissipates very quickly leaving only a rim around the edge. The aroma is sweet and fruity with hints of apple, pear, and dates. The first sip delivers a well balanced beer. There is a caramel sweetness followed by just the right amount of bitter. There is a lingering alcohol warmth after swallowing. Subsequent sips provide a depth of sweetness. the caramel fades a bit and the fruity notes come forward. Sixth Glass has a rich mouthfeel with a mild foamy effervescence. It's not too syrupy, but delivers a richness that a Quad should. Overall, this is a great beer. It keeps one wanting more, sip after sip.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Found it on sale, looks good to me.

A: Big pop when the bottle opens, lots of fast fading carbonation. Big sticky head.

S: Sweet with caramel and tropical fruit.

T: Great work, Boulevard, this is the best beer I have tried from your brewery. True to the style, nothing off or cloying about it. Strong and sweet, the maltiness comes through perfect. As far as being true to the style, this gets high marks, I might have mistaken it for something made in Belgium.

D: Very nice, and a good deal for what I got it for. Give it a show for sure.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Served with course #1 of the 17th Annual Labor of Love Belgian Beer Dinner - steak tartare wrapped in leek.

Beautiful burgundy dives to the bottom of the glass, sloshing upwards gently. I pour but a bit, to share with the others who thirst.

There is caramel sweetness that will ooze out of my pores. There are dates and cherries, the oxidation slight and carefree. The booze lingers throughout the adventure, never overpowering, omnipresent. Each small sip a moment of divine pleasure. Subdued hops round out this beer beautifully. I announce the winner of round 1's pairings, and one of my favorite flavors of the day.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Please allow me to introduce myself..."

Deep ruby-brown, with a tidy head - looks pretty great in my Smokestack Tulip.

Boozy, with brown sugar, molasses, blackberries. Fills the nose like if you were walking into a professional kitchen with all the smells.

Boozy here too, but not to be imposing, hiding the ABV really well (and will probably hurt tomorrow) with no burn - currants, blackberries, whiskey, tobacco. If an upscale men's clothing store bottled a beer, this could be it.

Silky like creme brulee - just rolls across the tongue as if the two were one.

Probably not my favorite beer simply because it's not my favorite style, but no doubt one of the best I've ever had - wonderfully done.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Cigar City snifter.

Pours a ruby brown with minimal head. Smells strongly of spiced plum, brown sugar, fresh french bread, and cranberry. Tastes has a muddled start that opens up to more plum, stewed grape, and candi sugar. Semi-dense mouthfeel rounds out a near perfect example of an americanized quad.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a reddish brown until back lit when is glows with a bright rich looking orangish amber with some haziness. This Quad looks so inviting that this mammoth head is hard to wait on,but it actually deflates in a timely manor leaving huge webs of lacing covering the entire Duval snifter it's served in. Smells like straight up maple syrup,dark fruits and alcohol. This is delicious,Quads are not at the top of my favorites list,but this one is winning me over! Tastes are dark fermented fruits(raisins) and alcohol with subtle yeasty character,syrup and honey sweetness finish off this boozy beast. Full bodied and warming to the tongue encourages sipping,not to mention a ABV that I would have guessed to be even higher than 10.5. This one is an stunner from start to finish,pure darkness at its best.

4.59/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Boulevard may be one of the best breweries in the country. Within each category they brew something special. The Six Glass is no exception. Poured into a tulip, with a thick tan head that stays, with each sip a beautiful lace coats the glass.

There are toasted fruits, like peach or figs, with a caramel sweetness.

A great attempt that brings some American pride to such greats as St. Bernardus or other great Trappist Quads.

4.59/5  rDev +12.2%

You might think I'm partial just because I'm a KC guy, but when I first had this ale I didn't know I was trying either a quad or a beer from Boulevard. My first sip woke me from my general malaise and had me hooked for life, rekindling childhood memories of experiencing my first oreo cookie dipped in milk. I thought I had accidentally opened a St Bernardus 12, but after a quick check it was just something "random" my friend handed me from his dad's liquor store in KC.

I asked for a second one, and noted a dark muddy orangish mahogany pour with a nice foamy head that stuck to the glass and eventually slipped back down into the glass. The smell was complex and strong, with hints of everything from dark fruit to pear. It was too aromatic for me to figure out if it was heavier on the dark or light fruit side, but the smell of Belgian sugar was evident.

The taste leads is prevalently that of darker fruit including raisons and plum, but the sweetness on the finish is nice and balances out the alcohol well. The beer is incredibly smooth and I like the extra carbonation that beers like St Bernardus 12 seem to lack.

I wish I could find this stuff anywhere, because it's excellent... an improvement on most authentic Belgian quads!

4.58/5  rDev +12%

Enjoyed in a tulip glass

A: pours a very thick mahogany to cherry red that is warming just to look at, pours with two fingers of very frothy and creamy head that is a gentle tan and lingers for a bit, leaves little to no lacing on the glass
S: interesting scent, a sweetness of cherries with something quite reminiscent of tobasco sauce underneath
T: wow, begins simple and typical enough but then, my god do the cherries kick in, i mean pure fresh cherry taste as if i was eating them just now, i had to check to make sure there wasnt a pit in the glass just to be sure, backs out a bit sour but nicely enough
M: medium carbonation off the bat, sits nice and thick through the middle and leaves with just the slightest alcohol tinge just to remind you that it is 10.5%
O: this was a reall incredible brew, im a big fan of this style and i think this one is a homerun, my biggest concern is that this one might gave just passed ommegang three philosophers which has a particularlly important place in my heart, great style, great brew, well done

4.58/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A stunner..... a real stunner.i had this side by side with the so called top quads, rochforte 12 and st. Bernardus and this was as good if not better....has that subtle sweetness to make this as good a non barrel aged quad as you can find.excellent.

4.58/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: Dark caramel color. Tall head with almost soft peaks. Effervescent bubbles like champagne that roll on the side of the glass.

Smell: Almost peppery. Ether-alcohol right on the nose.

Taste: I feel like the alcohol is right on point, the strongest taste. But it's supported well by a subtle hint of smoke that drifts on the palate. Slight malt charateristics beneath that.

Mouthfeel: Greatest part of the style. As I said, effervescent. It's texturally light because of the carbonation, but retains a slight malt heaviness.

Overall: $10.99 for a four pack and it is worth it. The body and flavor are both well-balanced. Many subtle flavors at work. It's really a fantastic beer.

4.58/5  rDev +12%

I snagged this bottle from the QFC down the street, and I really wasn't planning on reviewing it. The back label description--invoking Hans Christian Andersen's tales--hooked me, and I decided the Sixth Glass would be the perfect accoutrement to a rainy afternoon of reading and hot baguette.

I was right! From the get-go this thing has impressed. Classic Belgian aromas of sugar and yeast hit me the moment I uncorked, and are now mixing with an almost citrus-y freshness in the glass. It's a deep, deep honey/amber color, clouded, with a huge 3-finger tan head when poured into a wine goblet. There's lacing in the bottle--but not on the glass really--though a thin layer of foam is still there minutes after pouring. I may have never seen a beer with a more invigorating and lively head.

Flavors expand from the aroma: it's malty, yeasty, very rich and caramelly. Cant taste the alcohol at *all*. This thing was bottled in June 2010 and 4 months later it's as mellow as I'd expect after a few years in the cellar. This batch'll be gorgeous with some aging.

The mouthfeel may be my favorite part of the whole experience. The carbonation is at the pinnacle point of perfection, and swishing/chewing reveals a tiny bit of alcohol ester and an almost syrupy coating after swallowing. I hate beer descriptors like "syrupy" and "medicinal" because they remind one of Childrens' Cherry Cough Drops or something, but I mean this in the best possible way.

Drinkability is dangerous; try to pace yourself, given the ABV...but if you find yourself chugging, at least you're not alone. *upturns bottle*

*Edit: by midway through the bottle, the residuals are now lacing on my glass. Small development, but worth noting.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Split a 12oz with my wife and poured into a couple of white wine glasses. Huge fluffy head, totally clouded, dark amber brown ale.

Aroma is super-booze, yummy yeast, cidery aroma with fig and dark fruit. As it warms I get some strawberry and raisin aromas. Tastes boozy but not too hot. Definitely sweet and jammy, but there is a tinge of bitterness in the finish, probably from the alcohol, but I certainly don't mind it. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, with very slight carbonation.

This is not the first time nor the last I've had this. It is an excellent American quad, with wine like qualities and a lot of complexity.

4.56/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a beautiful orange/amber with a billowing off white head. Decent lacing.
S: insane amounts of sweet malt, dark fruit and sugary sweetness. Outstanding.
T: complex as all hell and mighty tasty. Follows the nose quite well. Sweet up front with malts jumping out right away, the fruit comes next and brings some acidity, but balances nicely. A sweet finish that is both boozy and warm.
M: decent carbonation with body that actually isnt too heavy and leaves you wanting more. Not creamy, yet not thin.
O: a fantastic quad that I can't recommend enough. The flavors, body and finish are impecible. It's complexity is enhanced by the fact that the booze don't overwhelm it. This stands up to 3Philosophers and the best of the Belgians.

4.56/5  rDev +11.5%

Very dark, velvet color in a dark bottle. Held the bottle up to light to check the sedimentation on the bottom, but I couldn't see a thing! Poured a good two finger head, and dissipated rather quickly to a film.

Smelled very sour, like a wild yeast almost. Probably the only offputing thing about this beer. Aside from extremely sour smell there is a very strong sweet malty smell and date/cherry or otherwise dried red fruit smell. Very sweet, very rich smelling.

Taste pretty much matched the smell, aside from no sourness. Very thick, rich, sweet, dark taste too it. A golden ale to the extreme. Reminds me much of "salvation" golden ale but richer. You can definitely sense the high alchohol in it, but it's not at all overpowering, probably due to the rich, full sweetness of it.

Overall a very heavy and tasty beer. A good after meal desert almost. I would not recommend drinking this with any food or shortly before or after a meal as it is VERY rich. Definitely pick this up if you have it on hand at any place around, I will definitely drink it regularly if I can find it around my hometown, but I have only seen it at Fred Meyers grocery.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

I drink this brew in celebration of the successful completion of an exceptionally demanding class. Thanks to Freethyhops for the hook-up. He's my main man in 'Bama...

By the way, when was the last time you were stoked on an American Quad? If ever I have been, it eludes me now.

A - Rich ruby-mahogany hue, generous amounts of frothy foam, delicate lacing.

S - Huge aroma of black truffle. Due to the outrageous cost of truffles (starting around $100 per ounce for garbage quality) I don't expect many to have a real frame of reference for the flavor. (Incidentally, if you want to taste big truffle flavor, try truffle oil or Caciotta Al Tartufo, an Italian truffle-laden cheese) Anyway, back to the beer... Besides the sublime suggestion of truffles, the aroma is pleasantly saucy, malty and full of dried-fruity notes.

T - First off, this Quad tastes authentically Belgian; I doubt it could be identified as a stateside brew in a blind test. The flavors tend towards reserved in the grand spectrum of the style, especially when compared to the ultra-vinous, sweet, and/or boozy examples. The flavors are very balanced; the malt richness is constantly available, but it is dry enough to allow for the subtleties of the brew to shine. Big raisin, a healthy alcohol kick, and delicious yeasty spiciness are the mainstays of this brew. The same elegant hint of black truffle is available in the taste, especially towards the finish. I am very much a fan.

M - Very well-carbonated, at first perhaps slightly too much so; it is straddling the line between sharp and prickly.

D - Excellent. I can't imagine someone not liking this. Also, I am beginning to suspect that Boulevard, all things considered, may be just be one of the best breweries on Earth.

4.54/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look - cloudy brownish orange with a great off white head and great lacing.
Smell - sweet fruity Belgian yeast with a slight bit of spice.
Taste - sweet Carmel Belgian yeast with slight fruit like the smell.
Feel - creamy full body with lots of carbonation.
Overal - incredible quad!

4.54/5  rDev +11%

From a 12oz. pre-release bottle (an experimental batch before the released version), aged for over two years. I don't know if the recipe has changed from my bottle to the current version, but I'm reviewing this under the assumption that it hasn't.

A: Gorgeous deep red, maybe a pinch of mahogany. Pours with a 3/4-finger head that quickly vanishes to a miniscule trace of cream on top.

S: Sweet vanilla. Hot, banana and alcohol. Sweet. Apricot. Very sweet and malty, with lots of honey. There's a surprising amount of oakey vanilla flavor in this. Raisins. Honey, caramel and toffee. It's like I can taste one of every flavor in this beer. Smells surprisingly similar to a barleywine.

T: Pretty bitter. Nice estery Belgium flavor, but sweet. Slightly copperish apple taste like that of Chimay Grand Reserve. Luckily, not too much like Chimay. Much sweeter as it warms, with a nice honey flavor. The esters give it a hot finish. It is, however, surprisingly smooth for the ABV. The Belgian taste is smooth and delicious, and actually reminds me of a very sweet geuze beer taste. There are lot of different tastes battling for control of my taste buds as I sip this.

M: Chewy. A little astringent.

D: High. This beer is delicious. I'll bump it down a peg to 'fairly high' due to the strength of the beer. One bomber of this and I would be gone.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

A- Pours a dark tan with a 2 finger head into my Boulevard Smokestack chalice.

S- Fruity.

T- Very sweet without being overpowering. Might I add that this is quite delicious.

M- Thick and chewy for an ale looking beer.

D- At 10.5%, I assumed this wouldn't be too drinkable. I was wrong. If I had more, I'd drink more. Very well done.

Score one for Boulevard Brewing Co. I've always been a fan, but they've outdone themselves this time.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz.(poor person size) to a Burnt Hickory Brewery snifter at 60-65 degrees
A- Clear red-copper hue with a wispy but abundant beige-gold head that dissipates quickly as anticipated.
S- Rich sweetness with a hint of clove spiciness, high alcohol content apparent.
T- Malty and caramely with the alcoholic bite that is smooth and at no point bitter. he alcohol bite serves this beer well as it gives a warm feeling, leaving you with a raisin like taste .Sweetness without overt fruity or overpoweringly caramel.
M- Light, highly carbonated, very smooth and bubbly.
O- This is a good, true beer. It's not a sneaky buzz. You are keenly aware that you are, in fact drinking beer and needn't play is it will sit you down. That being said the flavor is superb, well-rounded without frills, which is easy to appreciate.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured out of 12oz bottle into tulip.
Best by 04/12/15

Appearence: Muddy/light brown, maybe a sort of purple. Small white head forms then dissipates rather quickly.
Smell: PLUM, raisin, fig, blueberries. Slight boozy smell but not huge, or at least well hidden from the ridiculous aroma of dark fruits.
Taste: All that apply to the smell and then some. A bit of spice on the tongue.

I was blown away when I opened this bottle. The smell of all sorts of sweet, dark fruits blasted me in the nose. Frankly, quads aren't the most attractive looking beers in the world so I didn't take long to admire the appearance of it, but man does it smell fucking wonderful! Upon smelling this brew, it's hard to believe that it is 10.5% ABV and even though it's more relevant a taste upon drinking it, the presence of dark fruits and spices are much easier to identify. I don't know enough about quads to be able to compare this to the style, but I know that I definitely like this beer, like a lot.

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Beautiful hazy bronze. Pours a thick off white head that dissipates into a ring.

S - Sweet brown sugar and molasses, hint of rye.

T - Wonderful complex sweetness and spice taste you would expect in a quad, this is my 6th or 7th time with this brew and I think I have finally identified the taste that makes this one special. Rye! I guess I owe it to the wonderful hop rod ale by Bear Republic, but I taste a distinct rye now that makes this beer remarkable.

M - Somewhat thin, but warming from the alcohol. Dryness that again I attribute to the rye.

D - This aspect of the ratings always puzzles me, of course you don't want to guzzle something like this for a session, but on the balance its a very easy drink given its abv.

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

color of the beer is a crystal clear copper,pours three fingers of frothy head that retains very well. solid stream of bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass reinforcing the huge head.
Smell- very interesting aroma, in a good way. Caramel, dates, toffee upfront with a hint of booze and some slight fruitiness and tartness as well in the finish.
Taste= similar to the shell, very unique. Sweet malty characters come first, notes of toffee and dates are very present then comes some Belgian funkiness and some light fruit such as apples and white grapes, the booze provides a bit of warmth but there is no harshness there.
Feel- quite light, yet far from thin. nice carbonation, finishes very clean, not quite dry but evaporates nicely off the tongue, like a fine wine.
Overall- Really superb and unique take on the style. wonderful job. would love to try again.

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured out of the magnum into straight sided hotel room glasses. (Point for honesty?) A slow pour got us a huge light tan head that never left. Under that beautiful foam is a deep mahogany brew through which a trickle of tiny bubbles can be seen.

The alcohol is right up front in the nostrils. There is a light oakiness, some over ripe fruit, molasses and cocoa.

There alcohol shows up first, but not alone. There is a rich doughy, nutty, malty chocolate body. Then a parade of dark, sweet fruits begins. I get dark cherry, current, prune finish with a slight dark chocolate fade.

The mouthfeel is an enigma. A sparkling wine meets a warm, big beer with a smooth, silky feel but yet an alcohol warming. Amazing.

This is a big complex beer that stands alone. I'd love to try it again with a strong smoky cheese or a creme brulee. I look forward to it in a snifter!

The Sixth Glass from Boulevard Brewing Co.