Double-Wide I.P.A.

From:
Boulevard Brewing Co.

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.
Notes: The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

Reviews: 795 | Ratings: 2,652 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by tgoldian:

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

This brewery is hammering some dingers. This is a very good (1.5X) IPA. As in a top ten. Creamy with grapefruit. There is more hop taste, balanced terrifically than bitterness. Would have again in a minute.Ahtanum, Centennial and Chinook hops, and the taste was not in my face.

4.07/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Cloudy, copper colored, large amount of head when poured into my SA glass. So much that I had to drink and then repour when there was room. I would estimate 2 1/2" of nice white head. As I drank, the head disappated at a normal rate, nice lacing followed.

S - citrus, flowers, malt, a hint of pine, yeasties

T - Sweet, citrusy, amber malt, bitters, and what tastes like bitter orange peel

M - malty, somewhat heavy, nicely carbed. The yeasties and the extra malt (cloudy) give a nice texture to the brew which leaves a good aftertaste and a nice coating of IPA on my tounge.

D - Very good beer all the way through. I would buy if available in St. Louis.

I do want to say that this beer was a sample 12oz bottle that I got from a Boulevard rep. This is not the production 22oz corked bottle that is available, there is a chance that the beer that I reviewed may not be the same one being produced.

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

Presentation: 12oz slimline, classy-looking bottle. Great to see the Smokestacks in 12oz four packs now, and especially at this price, it's a steal! Best by 7/8/11.

Appearance: Pours an attractive dark burnt orange/copper hue into my snifter, lots of sediment in suspension, and a big dark ivory cap with really nice retention

Smell: The aromas almost blend DIPA and American Barleywine...there's a ton of hops up front, herbal piney aromas mostly, but with a strong kick of sweet orange liqueur as well. But there's also a decent amount of pale and sticky caramel malt here as well.

Taste: Taste is more firmly in the DIPA category. It's definitely not as full/heavy as a Barleywine, and it's a little leaner as well. Mild malt backbone with lots of piney/herbal hops. Not nearly as much citrus as in the aromas, though there's just a touch at the back. A bit one-dimensional, though that dimension isn't bad. Bitterness is pretty high, and w/the fairly high levels of carbonation this seems just a bit prickly.

Mouthfeel: Fairly high levels of C02

Drinkability: Medium-high

Conclusion: This is a pretty tasty beer, but deft. not the top of the Smokestack series which, overall, is awesome.

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

A-Cloudy amber color,great foamy head that slowly breaks down to beautiful lacy head
S-First apple come to mind then a mild citrus aroma, then very faint vegetative odor nothing bad but very different
T-This where this beer really shines. The pine,citrus and sweetness hides the abv the back half is that good old bitterness. But that vegetative smell is incorporated in the taste hence why I don't give this a 5.
M-Nice carbonation fine bubbles very enjoyable
D-Even with the 8.5abv this beer is very easy to drink, one must keep track.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

3.21/5  rDev -19.3%

The first time I had this beer I used a snifter, this time I used an imperial pint glass. It pours with a thick head with moderate retention that leaves some lacing. It is almost the color of tea. It doesn't have a strong nose, but what is present has hints of citrus and grain. For as thick as the head is, there isn't much carbonation on the tongue. There is lots of hop bitterness that stays in the mouth well after a taking a drink. It has just a hint of sweetness at the finish. This is a very drinkable beer.

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Nice hue, excellent head, solid head retention...

S: Median hop presence for a DIPA, nice piney smell.

T: First note is mildly sweet, then a dry hop finish.

M: Fairly thin mouthfeel, but the carbonation holds up, hard to explain.

D: Solid DIPA, especially for the price. Wife likes it, and she is picky! The best from this brewery I have tried yet.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

Beer name/Brewer: Boulevard Double wide

Serving info: Large Bottle caged and corked. No freshness/vintage dating that I could find.

Pours: Quite cloudy, medium almond amber, under a LONG lasting khaki head. Great head! Slow to turn to a super thick collar and leaves gobs of thick strands of lace.

Nose: Minty pine nose, underplayed with dark toast vapors

Flavor notes: Tasty hopped up ale, with notes of more mint, leafy, herbal hops and malty underpinnings.. Heady brew @ 8.5 %, but to my taste buds the alcohol is nowhere in the flavor profile. Quality stuff, I enjoyed every sip!

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Got the nice corked bottle, batch D8121. It pours an old penny copper with a creamy head with lots of relief. It leaves a chunky lace down the side of the glass ... very funky/cool looking. The smell is all hops; you can tell this IPA means business. The flavor isn't as explosive as the bouquet would suggest, but it is very tasty hops, with a fine malt backbone to balance it out. It is rich in the mouth, but a tad astringent. At 8.5%, it is officially a sipper for me, but what a treat. Double IPAs don't make their way to my town too often, and for a hophead this one is very much appreciated.

I've long enjoyed Boulevard products, but this is my first from the Smokestack series. Very nice.

Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 89 out of 100 with 2652 ratings