Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Double-Wide I.P.A. | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.
3.96/5
Very Good
Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

Added by SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%

1.5/5  rDev -62.1%

3.42/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I really love Boulevard Brewing Co. but this one I just don't get. I thought I may have had a bad batch but from reading other reviews I reaffirmed what I was tasting.

From the outside looking in it shines the way a DIPA should - dark creamy orange with a nice head. Smell of sweet hickory BBQ along with pines and spices.

However this brew is just bitter. Not a lot of depth here. Straight alcohol and a slow sipper for sure.

I'm going to stick with the Sixth Glass, Tank 7 Farmhouse and Long Strange Tripel

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a reddish amber thar is very hazy with an tannish 3 to 4 finger head with great retention. Don't plan on drinking this beer for several minutes! Great lacing as well

S - Orange and lemon aromas right off the bat. There is some pine mixed in and there are scents of the caramel malts and well as a roasted aroma.

T - First thing I noticd as the great balance of hops bitterness versus the sweetness of the malts. It was more pine tasting upfront than citrus which surprised me and it was followed by a very nice roasted flavor. Great tasing beer.

M - Mouthfeel is very heavy. This is definately a sipper! Leaves the mouth feeling somewhat dry as well

O - This is a wonderful BIG beer from Boulevard. Lots of flavor that is done correctly. Great use of hops and malts. Good carbonation. Will be keeping this one around!

Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.96 out of 5 with 2,646 ratings