Double-Wide I.P.A. | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.
Liked This Beer
3.96 w/ 2,646 ratings
Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

Added by SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007

Liked:
3.96/5
Alströms:
4.2

Ratings: 2,646 |  Reviews: 793

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good Sticky Head. Reddish rust in color. Clean grassy scents with hop aromas bursting off the surfaces.. Hearty medium body with a smooth carbonation that flows very well.

Bittery beer. Not being a hop IPA guy, here i sit with another IPA beer that just bores me. The finish is semi-dry. Thirst quenching. I mean for an IPA it's pretty competitive.

Too carbonated for me. However, I let it set awhile and it kept getting better to me. If you enjoy this type of beer complement it with sonic sounds of guitarist T. Akiyama on his Relator cd.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

4.56/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought a double-wide (27.5 oz) bottle of Double-wide Imperial IPA in a bottle shop. Poured into a Saxo Tulip.

Pours an orange copper color, hazy, with a stiff and resilient foamy eggshell white head.

Smell is a pungent pine and citrus aroma

Taste is a sweet citrus, pink grapefruit favor u front, with a biter lemon and pine flavor on the finish. very little malt presence, and not a lot of alcohol taste or heat.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and not particularly chewy or cloying.

Overall a very drinkable, if not sessionable, brew especially for the style. Smooth and not overpowering in any sense.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into my Alchemist pint glass.

A- Hazy burnished orange color, dark and unfiltered looking; yet there is some abundant carbonation visible with a close look. The tan colored head is huge, lasting and leaves lots of lacing.

S-Lots of citrus hops, earthiness from pine and wood, some alcohol. The label cites apricot, I'll give it that.

T-The hops lead the parade, citrus frutiness barely yields to some caramel maltiness. And there's no doubt about the 8.5% abv, it's a bit boozy.

M-Lots of oily, resinous body and hop zing, long dry finish. Notes of alcohol.

O- Sometimes the abv gets in the way of flavors, clearly the case here, for me anyway.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: Dark orangeish cinnamon. Off white head that settles to a film. Pretty good soapy lacing.

Aroma: Sweet caramel coats over a nice pine body. Some fruit notions in the end.

Taste: Some caramel sweetness up front before a solid piney, spruced up body. Faint spiciness and even some smokiness near the finish.

Mouthfeel: Dry and medium in weight.

Overall: Not a ton of complexity but everything that it does have is solid. The 8.5% ABV is pretty smooth.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into fantome snifter

A- Pours darker than I expected. Big head that leaves tons lacing

S- Floral hops with a bit of pine in the background

T- More of the same floral notes, touch of pine to balance. Taste is surprisingly soft for the 8.8% ABV

M- Not much carbonation despite big head

O- Decent IIPA. Nothing killer though

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz bottle, best by 8-9-13, poured into a half pint glass.

A~ Pours a light burnt orange, with a slight haze to it.
Love the full 2-3 inches of chunky head that's hanging around leaving a nice lace.
S~ Sweet piny hops, citrus and malt.
T~ Real nice balance of resiny-pine & sweet yeasty malt - it works very well for me with a moderate taste of booze.
B~ Nice medium creamy body with a nice bitter finish .
O~ Just got the sampler single, but now I'm wishing I had another.
This is, by far, my favorite of their Smokehouse series that I've tried so far.
I'm glad I took the clerk's suggestion and would buy it again (4 pk next time).

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 80.2% out of 100 with 2,646 ratings