Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Double-Wide I.P.A. | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.
3.96/5
Very Good
Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

Added by SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007

4.2

Ratings: 2,646 |  Reviews: 793
4.12/5  rDev +4%

I'm going to have to agree with the brothers here, this is an exceptional beer. Mine poured a medium dark copper with some red because I was drinking it in daylight. On top was a thick, dirty tan head that started at about an inch and a half, dropped the inch, but the rest persisted throughout the drink, leaving a thick, scattered lacing as the beer level sank. I didn't think the nose matched the appearance. I picked up on some grassy notes, maybe some apricot, but to be honest it didn't jump out at me... The taste was back on target, with grass, pine, apricot and caramel malt rolling across the tongue to a significant astringency in the back of the throat, with heat from the alcohol. The mouthfeel of this beer is medium heavy from the malt, but hold it on your tongue and savor the bitterness. I'm a DIPA fan, and this one is good, really good.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a deep amber brown with copper hues beneath the cloud of tan head that very slowly dissolves to leave a sticky, scattered lacing.

An impressive combination of apricot and grass hops float from the glass with a noticeable caramel malt as well.

The flavor starts out with apricot and grass hops similar to the aroma but becomes more woody and piney as it warms while the malty backbone holds up for the duration of the beer.

The Double Wide offers a thick palate coating mouthfeel with generous carbonation and a bitter, biting finish.

One of the maltier Dipa’s I have had yet with abundant hops as well. This beer is serious. Tons going on here.

3.56/5  rDev -10.1%

This is a pretty damn good DIPA.

A: Beautiful rosy, copper color.

S: I don't know if it's just me today or what, but I'm getting some funk from the brew. Some kind of old, white cheese. Not necessarily blue cheese, but something in that section of the cheese shop.

T: Long toffee finish. Great dose of hops.

M: Shining point of this beer. Velvet, creamy, mouth-coating texture that drenches all of your taste buds with hops. Perfect mouthfeel.

O: Like I said before, pretty damn good.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

A - Pours a ruby amber color with a massively thick, billowing, light caramel colored head. The foamy head lingers for a very long time and clings to the glass like cotton candy. There's an ever so slight chill haze when cold but went away as the beer warmed up.

S - Small amount of doughy malt base with light ruby grapefruit peel, papaya, and light colored tropical fruit. Overall, the aroma is light but pleasing.

T - Hop forward with mint, pine, and grapefruit citrus from top to bottom. The malt is nowhere to be found and is detectable right at the end in bits and pieces in the aftertaste, but not much. Light herbal presence.

M - A full bodied Double IPA that glides over the tongue with slight carbonation and leaves a coating of pepper spice, grapefruit bitterness, and pine with a semi-dry finish.

O - I didn't like it much at first but as the beer warmed it really opened up and it grew on me. The aroma was a downer, wish it were stronger.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

2.99/5  rDev -24.5%

At first, I got what seemed to be resiny hops on the nose...but soon that subsided and turned into a very sweet nose with toffee, earthy notes and what smelled a bit like maple to me. To be quite honest, I'm not a fan of it.

Pours a hazy dark golden color in my glass with a pretty impressive head...slowly dying down with good lacing.

A blast of medicinal hop bitterness is what I get right away...leading into a body of fair sweetness, but nowhere near as sticky as I'd expected from the nose. Some toffee is there...kind of fruity, perhaps a little orange...an earthy note. Bitterness is astringent and lasting on the finish.

Not my favorite DIPA by any stretch, though I'm relieved it's better than the aroma led on.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Really enjoyed this double IPA. I personally get more pine than citrus, still good hoppy flavor. The color was a pleasing dark amber and the finish had pleasant bitterness.
I did not feel the heat from the alcohol, it was well presented.
I would buy and drink again.

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a copper amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive as well, with considerable apricot, pine, and dry citrus. The flavor profile replicates nose, with a nice hoppy bitter finish. The beer is actually nicely balanced, with more than enough hoppy bitterness to balance the modest malty sweetness/tropical fruit. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a fairly long finish. Alcohol is well integraged into the flavor profile.

While nothing extraordiary, this is a very solid DIPA.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Rich amber colored, two finger bubbly foam dissipates to one finger quickly, leaves little lacing and it's a bit cloudy.
It smells like pine and caramel. The aromas are very nice but clear pretty soon after the pour.
The hops are resinous and taste like pine, that gives way to caramel and I get a lemony finish.
It's medium bodied...the hops are resinous and bitter up front which is balanced nicely by caramel malt. It leaves a think and bittersweet aftertaste.
A tasty IIPA that has some nice malt character to go along with the hops. I really enjoyed having this.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.51/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours copper color with frothy tan head. Head is rock hard, sits up top and doesn't want to go away. Lots of bubbles but rather transparent.

Beer dated "Best By 09/2012" I fear I have purchased an older bottle of IPA. Still 2 months to go but I can tell there is a muted hop presence here.

Malt sweetness in the nose up front with some residual hop aroma to to balance it out. Hints of tropical fruit underneath the malt.

Lots of caramel malt up front with some bitterness and hop flavor following through afterwards. Layers of flavor, some butte or toffee tones to the malt. Residual slick piney hop flavor rinses around the mouth.

Smooth, luscious body. Silky yet washes away cleanly.

Lots of caramel and malt up front with the flavor, I can't help but wonder if I had a fresh bottle what the hop flavor and aroma would do on top of that sweet base. As it is this is a bit darker and maltier than I am used to in an IPA, but the balance is very well done and flavors are clean, plus the body is quite rich and satisfying.

Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.96 out of 5 with 2,646 ratings