Long Strange Tripel | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Long Strange TripelLong Strange Tripel

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Tripel

Lately it occurs to us that if, back in 1989, you planned on starting a brewery in the back of your carpentry shop, you'd been wise to seek out someone like Harold “Trip” Hogue. A collector of ancient Volvos, Trip was well qualified for the make-do engineering required to coax recalcitrant equipment out of retirement and into making the first Boulevard beers. Today, he is our longest-tenured employee. We offer this rich, golden Tripel in grateful tribute to dedication, everywhere.

Added by homebrewhawk on 11-24-2007

Ratings: 1,546 |  Reviews: 468

Purchased at Super Market Liquors in Fort Collins, CO. Man, have they upped their game in the last year with so many new brews and the frequently seen dust on bottles seems to be no more.

Corked and caged 750ml bottle, batch T8249. Looks to be a lot of sediment in the bottle.

Removing the cage and cork, a big pop is heard. It pours a hazy orange gold with easy, a 3 finger head of billowy foam. Plenty of bubbles and I get some sediment in the very first pour.

The smell is spicy and yeasty and lightly fruity and yet, in saying that, there isn't a big aroma here. Good for what it has but I'm hoping the taste is more assertive.

I'm taking my first sip and there's some, no, lots of candy sugar sweetness, some spice with a light dashing of pepper, a good yeastiness and earthy malt flavour, and a light tart fruitiness but the sweet flavour is kind of putting me off.
I think it is authentic enough for the style but the overall taste isn't doing much for me. And..the finish I find is on the bitter side and is as equally annoying to me as the forementioned sweetness. Dang it.

On the light side of medium bodied with lighter carbonation than the look through the glass suggested but still, by no means, lightly carbonated. Great head retention and lacing but seeing yeast flakes in my first pour hurt.

Drinkability? I'm sorry, but this one doesn't do anything for me taste wise because both the sweet and bitter in this brew goes to an extreme that I'd care not to visit again. In fact, I think it's a mess and a very hard to drink brew.
I'm glad I tried it, other BAs think it is good and my hat's off to them, but this isn't one I'd drink again. No slant on Boulevard intended as I find *most* of their brews very tasty and very drinkable. This just wasn't for me.

3.03/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Had higher hopes. Kind of boring to drink, not much of a taste. Want a good triple you can find easily? Try Coppertail Unholey.

3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours a cloudy straw-peach color with a nice tan head that settlles slowly. Smells musty and lemon. Very mild aromas. Not much to say about this one, as there isn't much here.

Tastes wet sweet to start with strong flat phenolic. Not clovey and not quite smokey. Yellow cake and esters of orange, rather than my lemony expectation. Grassiness from yeast mixes with the phenolic in an unpleasant way. I know some people dig that flavor, but it makes me cringe. Bleech. Dry finish leaves lingering phenol. Light body, but finish isn't quite as crisp as I'd expect in a Tripel.

3.06/5  rDev -25.9%

11oz bottle poured into a Bruery tulip

Appearance: Great orange/tan honey color. Big head with ok retention.

Smell: I'm mostly picking up the yeast and malt. Plus maybe some cloves.

Taste: Bready, sweet, some banana.

Moutfeel: Good carbonation, with a medium body. The aftertaste is a little too dry, almost puckery or like eating dirt. And that aftertaste will sit with you.

Overall: I enjoy trying Belgian style ales. This is an OK one, but not one I'd hunt down again.

3.08/5  rDev -25.4%

3.11/5  rDev -24.7%

pours a semi-cloudy orange with a very large off-white head, and some lacing.

smell is not to strong, yeast, slight fruit, and a bit of pear.

taste is carbonated, fruit, sour malt, ends dry and slightly bitter.

overall just an average tripel, does not match up to others.

3.18/5  rDev -23%

(Served in a chalice)
A- This beer opens with a soft pop of the cork then pours a full light tan foam head that fades back into a cobweb. There is a sea of microbubbles that swirl through the orange body.
S- This beer has a soft floral perfume note with only a faint sweetness. Otherwise pretty clean
T- This beer has a soft light sweetness to a thin flavor of fruit that fades to a pungent hop finish with a soft pine note. The faint note of apricot and a big boozy alcohol heat that covers everything but the hops.
M- This beer has a light thin mouthfeel with a soft fizz and no alcohol heat when cold but it lingers in the aftertaste. Then it soon grows to a big alcohol heat that grows and grows.
D- This beer is a bit thin and light which is ok until the big boozy alcohol heat and pungent hops bitterness covers up all the subtle flavors.

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance: Pours clear, golden body with a fizzy white head.

Smell: Sweetish candi sugar aroma with notes of bananas, cloves, with a bit of peppery alcohol.

Taste: Honey-coated maltiness with a sticky candy sweetness. Obligatory Belgian esters. A mild, fleeting bitterness is encountered along the way. Touch of peppery alcohol. Yeasty, candi sugar finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. Somewhat syrupy.

Drinkability: The Long Strangly Sweet Tripel was just a hair too sweet for me.

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

Long Strange Tripel from Boulevard Brewing Co.