Long Strange Tripel | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Long Strange TripelLong Strange Tripel
4.16/5
Long Strange TripelLong Strange Tripel

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Tripel

Lately it occurs to us that if, back in 1989, you planned on starting a brewery in the back of your carpentry shop, you'd been wise to seek out someone like Harold “Trip” Hogue. A collector of ancient Volvos, Trip was well qualified for the make-do engineering required to coax recalcitrant equipment out of retirement and into making the first Boulevard beers. Today, he is our longest-tenured employee. We offer this rich, golden Tripel in grateful tribute to dedication, everywhere.

Added by homebrewhawk on 11-24-2007

4.5

Ratings: 1,548 |  Reviews: 469

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My store ended up with a case of this tripel back in January that was scheduled to "expire" in february and I couldn't get the distributor (who shall remain nameless) to switch it out. It ended up underneath a table and after I rediscovered it a few days ago, I decided it would make an excellent xmas present to myself. And I was right- pure heaven. Served in a goblet from a champagne style bottle.

Appearance- Rich gold color, good head and lacing

Smell- Fruity, spicy, w/ cinnamon, cloves, orange peel and honey.

Taste- Rich and malty, spices and oranges with no bitterness. The alcohol content is well disguised.

Mouthfeel- Crisp with vigorous carbonation.

Overall- Loved it, and I think the extra (and accidental) bottle conditioning didn't hurt.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

750ml C&C bottle poured into my FW snifter glass – split two ways
Notes taken on 10/26/13

A: Hazy goldenrod body with fine bubble action that conjures up a pure white topping. Sound retention with a rather low level of stick. Only some modest dotting and light alcohol streaks noted down the glass.

S: Light fusty citrus peel with golden orchard fruits and a touch of yeasty bread. There is a soft caramel sweetness and not much alcohol coming through the nose. Faint hit of spicy phenols on the back end with white peppercorn, banana, and clove. Very subtle and not overbearing. Smells pleasing and nice with a more delicate approach.

T: More golden fruits like pear and apple but not in a tart or sour way. Spices of coriander, pepper, and clove. Firm with a crackery malt base and a hint of caramel sweetness. Touch of banana peel there. Very smooth with the alcohol really well masked. Some subtle bitterness on the finish but it’s not harsh and does not detract from my overall enjoyment. All in all a pretty damn tasty brew.

M: Very frothy and almost over carbonated. Light, airy, and soft with a drying crispness. Mild bitterness and a very clean finish.

D: I am no purist and am far from an expert on this style but I found this to be a relatively tasty brew and very drinkable. Not a big fan of heavily phenolic brews and this one suits me just right. Would definitely have again.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a tulip glass, had a friend pick this up from Specs in Houston, we don't get Boulevard in this part of Louisiana. Firstly, I'm a big fan of the Trippel style so hopefully I'm not too biased in my review.

Appearance -Orange/ Gold colored, typical trippel color. Poured a relatively big head though that may have been operator error; somewhat thick head stayed laced around the edges.

Smell - A medley of citrus, somewhat hard for me to pinpoint, kind of has a malty aroma as well.

Taste- Very similar and follows the smell, but I get a bit of grapefruit and a slightly hoppy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Not a heavy but moderate and very balanced carbonation.

Overall - There is nothing at all wrong with this beer and a lot of good things going on with it. It is almost a perfect example of the style with a hoppy finish. I really like it and will get my hands on some more and try later.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Long Strange Tripel from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.16 out of 5 with 1,548 ratings