Bourbon Barrel Quad Barrel-Aged Ale (BBQ) | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Bourbon Barrel Quad Barrel-Aged Ale (BBQ)Bourbon Barrel Quad Barrel-Aged Ale (BBQ)

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Based loosely on the Smokestack Series’ The Sixth Glass, this abbey-style quadrupel is separated into a number of oak bourbon barrels where it ages for varying lengths of time, some for up to three years. Cherries are added to make up for the “angel's share” of beer lost during barrel aging. Selected barrels are then blended for optimum flavor. The resulting beer retains only very subtle cherry characteristics, with toffee and vanilla notes coming to the fore.

Added by jdubjacket on 07-11-2008

Ratings: 2,449 |  Reviews: 694

1.42/5  rDev -66.4%

It tastes an awful lot like Bourbon which you might like, however I did not find it appealing or palatable.

I don't see the connection to making beer taste like Bourbon. If you want to try this beer without buying it.. Take a glass of wine, and toss in a shot of bourbon.

1.6/5  rDev -62.1%

25.4oz. Bottle of the 2011 vintage poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Reddish brown with a nice frothy tan 1” head. Nice lacing

Smell: Some dark fruit, definitely some bourbon/booze, and a light sour funk.

Taste: Sour funk muted by bourbon, very little flavor development beyond that. This beer is definitely more “Flemish Red” than Quad. No real development of what I love in a quad, the deep dark fruit flavors, some hints of coffee and chocolate, balanced Belgian candy sugar to provide a light sweetness without becoming cloying, NONE of that. Sour cherry and bourbon comprise 99% of the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: Clean and well carbonated on the Palate.

Overall: I had tried to determine whether this beer had any sour characteristics prior to purchase and the feedback was more along the lines of “maybe / maybe not”. Let me remove all doubt, it DOES. I will review this beer as a quad and as such it is a major failure. I love Belgian quads and strong dark ales, they are my favorite styles of beer (by-far). I loathe sour beers. All I can say if you make a sour beer call it a sour beer, if I didn’t know better I’d call this an infected quad.

1.75/5  rDev -58.5%

2.14/5  rDev -49.3%

I don't like Boulevard beers at all. I think it's the yeast strains they use but they all have that same taste on the back end that makes me unhappy. With that said I figured based on reviews and the style I had to give them one more chance. My bad. This was supposedly barrel aged and Quad. I'm not saying Boulevard are liars but they are liars. I did however taste some very faint cherry tartness at the end. This actually faded away after a few more sips.

Pours a boring color that could be confused with a Leinies Red perhaps?

This beer smells fantastic if you enjoy the smell of wet socks.

The taste was like a watered down anything Unibroue with a lame attempt at putting cherries in it somehow. The cherry taste like an extract unlike lets say the fantastic New Glarus Cherry Tart. I don't see the point of spending the money on this when you could snag a Three Philosophers much easier. That is a Quad that looks, tastes, and feels like a Quad with cherry. Boulevard is not for me for I enjoy flavor instead of wet socks. I do love their design though and many many many people love their beers. Sorry guys, but cheers to Boulevard for brewing anyways!!

2.18/5  rDev -48.3%

This was an extra in a trade, thanks Jim. Pours cherry red with a bunch of large bubbles rising up, then receding to a collar around the edges. Nose is heavy oak, sour cherries, a light and sweet vinegar touch. Really comes across like some weird American sour. Mouth is super sharp carbonation with a palate of butter, oak, sour cherry, brett. I don't know if wild yeast was actually used with this but it has the wet sock aspect of brett. Alcohol heat and some caramel type malts bring up the back. I have to say, this is completely disgusting. Just way too much of everything, and the buttery, brett like elements clash horribly with the base beer. Could be a Cigar City sour, probably.

2.19/5  rDev -48.1%

"Purchased at John's Grocery in Iowa City. This beer pours a dark brown/reddish color with a thick head. Aroma of sugar, cherries, oak, and alcohol. Flavor of cherries, sugar, and a whiskey flavor. A little too much for me. " It's been a while since I've had it so I wouldn't mind going back and revisiting a bottle to see if my tastes of changed.

2.28/5  rDev -46%

2.3/5  rDev -45.5%

Bottle # 6629 from 2009 vintage. Pours a thick cloudy caramel with a two finger head and thin lacing. Nose- plums, plastic notes, light cherry/brett, dusty. Taste- hot and thin with an unpleasant sourness to it. Really little depth to this except for the wood and malt sweetness. Finish has an unpleasant burn and abrasiveness to it. This is some bad hootch.

2.32/5  rDev -45%

Hazy, muddy, dark orange in color. To be honest, the look's a bit light and off. A 2 finger head forms easily, light tan in color.

Aroma is big bourbon, yeasty, funky, and actually overpowering-ly tart and off-putting even with the planned cherries.

Taste is much of the same: bourbon, yeast, sweetness, noticeable tartness, and yeasty, acidic and stringent. Not ruling out the possibility of a bum bottle.

Feel is medium in body, slightly creamy, low carbonation.

Maybe it was a bum bottle...the tart characters definitely didn't seem right... shared the bottle and we both ended up pouring some out in the end.

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%

2.66/5  rDev -37%

2.67/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown color with a smooth, silky, creamy, long lasting head of white foam. Aromatics are very simple, a touch of cherry. Not much quad left in here, as the flavor is dominated by whiskey and sour fruits. Too sour, with no malt depth. The oak contribution didnt provide much nuance of coconut and vanilla, just funk. Not a beer I enjoy.

2.7/5  rDev -36%

Batch 2010-1, Bb 11/2012

A: Pours an apricot ale with excellent clarity. Little to no head formation. Empty surface. Rare and transient lacing.

S: Not what I had expected. Cherries smell tart and at the forefront of the beer. As I readjust my nose, the grain starts to come through. This smells more like a Flanders Oud Bruin than a Quad. Interesting.

T: ABV is way to naked here. Jesus, it's difficult to get past the Alcohol in here. Brutal. Once I get past here, there are sweet grains, oak tones, sweetness. Edit: as I have allowed the beer to breath a bit more and warm, the bourbon becomes more welcoming, balances a little better with the cherries.

M: Medium to full body with high carb for the genre. Slicks the tongue and resonates as such. Syrupy.

D: This beer is a far shy from the Sixth Glass I do so enjoy. The barrels and cherries overwhelm this beer. Maybe time does this beer justice, but right now - I can't handle it.

2.7/5  rDev -36%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

reviewing from notes, 750ml corked and caged bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip.

*Cork was a PAIN to get off

A: Upon opening, the beer poured a hazy reddish brown color; beer sort of resembles a hazy flemish red. 2 fingers worth of head came with the pour that disappeared quickly, little to no lacing left on glass.

S: Cherries, cherries, cherries. Cherries are the main aroma coming off this beer followed by a tart/sour funkiness. Bourbon with a small amount of vanilla character are present as well as some alcohol heat. I can't tell where the quad is in this beer.

T: There is some what of a quad base in this beer (you will find small, SMALL amounts of dark fruits and spices), but for the most part this beer taste like a bourbon barrel aged flemish red. On that note, it is a very interesting beer on how the cherry tartness is playing with the vanilla bourbon qualities. There is quiet the amount of booze coming from this beer as well, could use some more time in the cellar.
I am going to only give this a 3/5 because while i find the beer interesting for what it is, the beer is no where near a quad.

M: Medium bodied beer that is slightly creamy. Carbonatin is good throughout. Pretty boozy with some heat coming off the tail end of the beer.

D: Pretty poor on the scale of drinkability, the boozyness is really hurting it. Has some bite on that finish that is a little much to consume alot of. Also the tartness really wears down the palate.

When i opened this beer i thought they had bottled a flemish red into a bottle that said "quad." Was not what i was expecting what so ever.

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

Bourbon Barrel Quad Barrel-Aged Ale (BBQ) from Boulevard Brewing Co.