Bourbon Barrel Quad Barrel-Aged Ale (BBQ) | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Bourbon Barrel Quad Barrel-Aged Ale (BBQ)Bourbon Barrel Quad Barrel-Aged Ale (BBQ)

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Based loosely on the Smokestack Series’ The Sixth Glass, this abbey-style quadrupel is separated into a number of oak bourbon barrels where it ages for varying lengths of time, some for up to three years. Cherries are added to make up for the “angel's share” of beer lost during barrel aging. Selected barrels are then blended for optimum flavor. The resulting beer retains only very subtle cherry characteristics, with toffee and vanilla notes coming to the fore.

Added by jdubjacket on 07-11-2008

Ratings: 2,461 |  Reviews: 698
3.34/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2015 Version

Dark, copper hued body; thick, sticky, chunky head. Malty nose with some dark fruit qualities; raisins; mild spiciness. Boozy flavor atop a fair malt sweetness; dominant phenol presence; caramel and mildly charred sugar. Heavy body; fairly thick and chewy; warm; strong alcohol heat.

The boozy heat overwhelms an otherwise decent heavy malt base. One is left with feelings of harshness that the under-performing sugary sweetness just can't compensate for. Rather disjointed and lacking in refinement.

2.9/5  rDev -31.3%

2015 variety.

The pour yield a fizzy, what I normally expect from a sour, head. It seems to last and has some retention and lacing, but in a quad it seems really out of place. Nearly to the point I'm questioning what I'm about to drink.

I really cannot smell much of anything. I get this fruity ester that I have gotten in Boulevard's other smokestack series beers, but with nearly nothing behind it. I think there's some chocolate and bourbon or something like that but I honestly cannot get through the esters.

The beer has a lot of rich flavors and character. Bourbon certainly, chocolate, vanilla, Belgian fruits, rum, grapes, plums. I think there's some good stuff going on, however the mouth feel.

The mouth feel is over the top overly carbonated and thin as heck. It completely ruins the beer.

I'm not sure if I'm just the only guy not a fan or what, but the way the smokestack series is carbonated ruins what I think are otherwise decent beers. I'm sorry but they've either changed up the beer, people had older bottles, or I'm just alone in hating the way this drinks. A real shame because I think the flavors in this one are decent.

Quick edit, but if you swirl the glass for 2-3 minutes and get the carbonation out, it really does improve the beer. As this is likely not how it was intended to be, I won't amend the scores, but it makes a world of difference. The aroma and flavors are much more pronounced and the beer is now much more drinkable. Still a bit thin while being rather boozy so take that as you will.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.74/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

BBQ pours a dark brownish reddish color with a small lacing head. Big bold oak aromas with big hints of tart cherries. Taste is smooth, oakey, spicy, tart cherry flavors, and a warm alcohol ending flavor. Great body, everything blends well. Overall its fanatic, noticeable terry, warm vanilla; everything comes together perfectly.

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beauty in this beer is in its subtlety. It has a wonderful complexity of flavors with none overpowering the others. Nothing jumps out and says BAM. Light bourbon, light vanilla, light yeast, light alcohol (12%!) with a barely noticeable hint of cherry. All with a velvety solid mouthfeel, not too thin. The medium carbonation is a bit high for my preference but still ok. I typically like bigger beers that are more over the top, but this quad impressed me more and more with every sip.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

4.07/5  rDev -3.6%

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Being a Kansas City local, this is probably my favorite of the Smokestack Series that I have tried. I would also rate it higher than other Bourbon blends (i.e. Stone). It mixes nice without the synthetic flavors that I sometimes get with others. Has about two fingers think of topping. Color a nice reddish tent. Overall, I plan on picking up a few more of these before they are out of supply.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

4.77/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Perhaps the best stout I have ever had!!!

3.4/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Overall, pretty let down by this. Very little bourbon taste nor as much quad. The cherry taste is subtle. I was really excited to try this, but kind of let down.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hearty, ruddy ruby color. The head is light beige and 2" thick, but sizzles to a thin film quickly. The first thing I can smell here is rye and wood. It is abundant. Maybe the addition of cherries is throwing my nose off a bit, but the sweet fruit presence smells almost like a jar of syrupy, cocktail cherries. The mix of that and whiskey has me thinking of a Rob Roy. It makes me want to dive right in! Not as sweet as I was expecting. Actually, it's mild in all aspects. Not what I was anticipating at all. The alcohol finish is nice, smooth, and warming. This pretty much made me feel like I was drinking the last half of a glass of good bourbon that was accidentally served over ice. Pretty thin. This wasn't what I was expecting, nor was it what I wanted, but I DID really enjoy this.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Overwhelmed by the complexity and thorough enjoyability of this brew. Barrel aging adds all the right notes, lots of woody and smoky notes, yet still unbelievably silky smooth.. Near perfect quad....no wonder Duvel bought them out

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.84/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bourbon Barrel Quad Barrel-Aged Ale (BBQ) from Boulevard Brewing Co.