Bourbon Barrel Quad Barrel-Aged Ale (BBQ) | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Bourbon Barrel Quad Barrel-Aged Ale (BBQ)Bourbon Barrel Quad Barrel-Aged Ale (BBQ)

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Based loosely on the Smokestack Series’ The Sixth Glass, this abbey-style quadrupel is separated into a number of oak bourbon barrels where it ages for varying lengths of time, some for up to three years. Cherries are added to make up for the “angel's share” of beer lost during barrel aging. Selected barrels are then blended for optimum flavor. The resulting beer retains only very subtle cherry characteristics, with toffee and vanilla notes coming to the fore.

Added by jdubjacket on 07-11-2008

Ratings: 2,448 |  Reviews: 693

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Wow, a fantastic beer! Sometimes the Belgian style beers don't work for me ... I think it's related to the yeast they generally use. However this one is delicious. First, upon removing the cork you get a very strong pop ... probably the strongest of any beer I've uncorked. I expected high carbonation as a result but that's not the case ... carbonation level is perfect. Taste is exquisite. There are certainly bourbon barrel overtones. Practically no hop bitterness. The alcohol is well hidden but warming. My only gripe is the cherries ... I think this would be an even better beer without them.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

4.43/5  rDev +5%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

I found that this beer gets exponentially better as it warms up. I'd recommend pulling it from the fridge and letting it sit for about 30 minutes before drinking it. I poured a glass straight from the fridge and set the bottle on the counter. The first glass was good, but I found that as it got warmer the carbonation died down a little bit and let the flavors of the beer come through. Needless to say the 2nd and 3rd pours from the bottle were much better than the first glass. The flavors are as described on the bottle, but you'll enjoy them more once the beer gets closer to what I would call a white wine drinking temperature.

Easily one of my favorite beers, and I am glad I got 4 bottles of it this year.

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottled 2013 in 750ml

Appearance: Amber, brown color, nice white head on the pour. Quite fizzy, lot of head out of the pour.

Smell: bourbon, vanilla, oak, dark fruits

Taste: initial glass was very heavy on bourbon and alcohol presence. Not unpleasant but the flavors really came out after it had a chance to air out and warm a bit. Whereas the initial impression was of bourbon dominance, an amazing blend of tastes came through: vanilla, wood, lot of fruit flavors for a quad (cherries, dates, melon), toffee. Just a delicious blend where the barrel aging complements everything but doesn't take over the beer completely. This is one of the best bourbon barrel aged beers I've experienced. Bit of alcohol warmth but it is a pleasant presence.

Overall: fantastic beer. I enjoyed the Sixth Glass from Boulevard and am a sucker for Quads in general. This one takes it to another level with a vast array of flavors. My second favorite quad after Stickee Monkey (which debatably isn't even a quad). Great job as usual by Boulevard, wish I got regular distribution from them.

3.64/5  rDev -13.7%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Bourbon Barrel Quad Barrel-Aged Ale (BBQ) from Boulevard Brewing Co.