Single-Wide IPA | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide IPASingle-Wide IPA
3.75/5
Very Good
Single-Wide IPASingle-Wide IPA

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American IPA

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

Added by kcillini77 on 12-15-2008

3.7

Ratings: 1,971 |  Reviews: 541
3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer has a pale color with a decent cream color head. You can smell a ton of floral hops. It has a good balance of the citrus hop flavor and a light, sweet malt flavor. It has good bitterness as well. Light body and carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer.

2.97/5  rDev -20.8%

What follows is a review not easily written. I don't want to slag what is really a pretty decent ale... but I'm so disappointed.

So I'll explain that first. I went into the Single Wide having had the Double Wide on at least 3 occasions and not even knowing there WAS a Single Wide IPA. I think the Double Wide is a masterpiece. The Single Wide is just a bit better than average for an IPA (which is way better than average for beer in general) and I expected a lot. I realize that issue is with me and not the beer. I don't blame the beer or the good folks at Boulevard who do a GREAT job.

My first bit of apprehension came with the pour. Much lighter in color than the typical IPA. In fact if someone told me this was a Boulevard and didn't specify which I'd guess Boulevard Wheat right off the bat. There are flavor resemblances too.

Nose is bready... conspicouous absence of typical hop aroma I'm used to in a solid IPA.

It is IPAish but something is missing... can't place what. This is not to say this beer doesn't have the hoppy notes expected in an IPA... but it's more of a straight bitterness than a balanced hoppy, grassy, citrusy flavor. It's just kind of there and not very complex.

It's a good brew... not a great brew and that's what I was hoping for. I'd take it over many other beers but for IPA's put it in the 40th to 50th percentile. Just keep in mind that as far as I'm concerned anything above the 25th in IPA's is still going to be a drinkable ale.

3.94/5  rDev +5.1%

This is one I've been anticipating for a good bit. I have kept grabbing something else and finally picked up a sixer tonight.

A: Hmmm...I'm a little confused. This beer looks very similar to Boulevard's Wheat. A hazy golden color, that reminds me of wheat.

S: Very grassy and lemony.

T: I have to agree with some other posters: (reluctantly, as I previously thought they just couldn't appreciate my local area brewery) this taste in some ways like a hefi. It's very lemony and grassy. I do disagree with some, because I do taste the hops. It is not the most overwhelming IPA I've had, but I believe the bitterness is there enough to put it on the light end of the style. It is wierd though, like a IPA hefi hybrid.

M: Is typical of an IPA, kinda light and no malt heaviness.

D: Pretty drinkable for an IPA, but remember I said it was on the lighter and of the style and hefi like as well. It goes down pretty smooth. Not what I expected, but not a let down either.

3.76/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear golden color. 1/2 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and great lacing. Smells of citrus hops, piney hops, hint of spicy hops, slight resin, and sweet malt, . Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level and a average bitterness. Tastes of strong citrus hops, spicy hops, slight piney hops, hint of alcohol, slight sweet malt, and a hint of resin. Overall, good appearance, decent aroma, body, and blend.

3.16/5  rDev -15.7%

Was not super impressed by this IPA. It Pours a light brown with a thin tan head. The nose is quite sweet with some floral hops in there as well. The taste is also on the sweet side needing more bitter hops to bring it together. Medium body is a bit thin. Not a bad brew, just not my idea of an IPA.

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

12 oz bottle into a pint gotta be fresh - its a new release

A - Pours a light golden color. Is somewhat opaque from a small amount of hazing. My guess there is yeast in there from BLVDs usage of bottle conditioning. Head formation is vigorous, but then dissipates to a light white film.

S - Piney and floral. There is a nice strong grassy hop scent all over it. A light amount of sweetness hangs around in the background.

T - Starts off sweet - a strong malt backbone. Bitterness moves in quickly with a hair of hops backdrop. Finishes with a huge bitterness and hoppy hit. Does leave behind a potent bitter bite.

M - Thick and creamy - for the ABV of this beer, the body is surprisingly strong. The mouthfeel is what i would associate with many cask ales - almost frothy.

D - Very easy to drink. ABV is higher but manageable. Carbonation, while moderate to strong, is not not weighing down my palette.

After enjoying DW from BLVD, I'm actually thinking this is an improvement. Finally an IPA commonly available in Iowa that I am proud to put in my regular rotation.

3.69/5  rDev -1.6%

Received this as a bonus on a trade from Monsterfast. Thanks man.

A: Pours a darkish lemon to washed out amber color with a ¼ inch soapy white head. Lacing looks like dish washing suds, draped on the side of the glass on pour and continues like a sheet of foam to the bottom after finish.

S: Fresh lemon and citrus nose. Smells very refreshing without being indulgent. Where are the floral hop notes?

M/T: Light to medium body, watery and a good amount of carbonation. The lemon taste is pretty powerful and a little one dimensional. I have never tasted this much lemon in an IPA before. Even with the lemon aspect, this beer is hugely refreshing and finishes exceptionally clean. However, this beer reminds me more of a Hefeweizen then an IPA. I detect little to no hop presence whatsoever.

D: I struggled with this beer, on the one hand I found this beer hugely refreshing and tasty. On the other hand, it really didn't seem to belong in the IPA family. Its barely even pale. However with the light body, low bitterness and virtually zero aftertaste, I could session this beer. Not a pallet killer!

3.3/5  rDev -12%

Got this trailer trash, uh I mean beer from homebrewhawk thanks for the beer.

Poured into a pint glass at 46 degrees.

Appearance: There is a light amber color with an orangish hue . There is a monster 3 finger head that is foamy and bubbly. The head is white and the retention is lacking a bit. There is ton of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is hazy but some light does penetrate. The head clings to the side of the glass like spit wads on the ceiling.

Nose: A ripe grapefruit and lemons with a nice floral esters. The malts are there in the beer with a hint of sweetness.

Taste: Okay the ripe grapefruit and lemon degrade to a slightly overripe. The hops are in the beer, but the backbone is slightly week.

Overall: The mouth feel is astringent and carbonated. The body of the beer is medium and the bitter finish linger for a moment. Boulevard making an IPA is a bit out of the ordinary for me. Most of Boulevard beer are mediocre to okay. This beer is mediocre. I just wish the nose meshed with the taste it would have been a great IPA.

3.11/5  rDev -17.1%

This pours a slightly hazy very bubble and foamy light gold. I couldn't get to the smell before the taste as I kept on having to drink some of the foam down.

The smell is pretty one dimensional..it smells bitter. Mostly from lemon.

The taste starts of with that lemon followed by some grass and light pine but really, I can't get any malt flavour out of this at all. I'm a big fan of Boulevard so I'm a bit taken back at this offering.

It has a good medium mouthfeel but the carbonation is way over done, imho.

Drinkability? Not so good. I'll be glad when I'm done with the bottle and my other bottle....I'll probably try to see if I can trade it away. Other peeps *do* like it, it's just not a brew for me.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

This beer pours into a pint glass with hazy yellow-orange color and a tall head. Nice retention and lacing on the glass.

Aroma is soapy citrus with a bit of floral.

Flavor is unique but I'm glad I tried it. The reason being that I've heard of "soapy" IPAs before but had never had one. This is definately what this beer is. Floral lady soap with a dash of lemon pepper.

Mouthfeel is okay but it seems over carbonated and slightly lacking in body. I think the big carbonation and soap combination makes it really feel like a mouthfull of suds. Drinkability suffers on all of the aforementioned characteristics.

1.9/5  rDev -49.3%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle, best by date of 8/24/09 printed on the neck. I was excited to see this along with the Irish Red now available in Colorado.

Appearance: Way over-carbonated, a slow pour results in half a glass of foam. Color is a hazy orange.

Smell: Something is a bit off - after the wild pour and a slight funk in the aroma, I'm getting worried.

Taste: Lots of hop bitterness, but the flavor isn't hops, its more of a funky note, and I can't imagine that is by design.

Overall impression: I was thrilled to see Boulevard hit the shelves in Colorado, but now I'm a bit worried. The Irish was mediocre, this is worse. I'm not sure if its infected, or just how this beer tastes, but I found it barely drinkable.

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

Slightly hazy golden color with a substantial dense white head that hangs around producing some decent lacing.

The aroma is citrus - grapefruit, hints of lemon and tangerine - with pine resin and some grassy notes over a subtle biscuity malt.

The taste is similiar with a very definite grapefruit note up front, followed by pine resin and biscuits. The finish is dry and heavy on the piney, grassy hops.

Medium bodied, with plenty of carbonation, easy to drink and not overpoweringly bitter. Altogether a very nice IPA for hop lovers.

2.6/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

beer pours a huge head easily 4 inches way to much would not dissipate color is dark yellow.. the smell is lemon and yeast smells not too much going on here the taste is worse it was lemon sour taste a little hop and malt and citrus ... this tasted more like a wheat or a Belgian ale(not a good one cause i like Belgian ales).. mouthfeel was acidic and yeasty.. not a very drinkable brew.. i dont know maybe i got a bad bottle will try again..but for now the worst IPA ive reviewed

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Served out of a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Bronze color with, holy smokes, the largest head I have ever seen out of any beer. I poured the second one ultra slow, and just a tremendous head of this beer. Stays throughout.

S: Smelled very hoppy, with no malt or sweetness.

T: Left much to be desired to be honest out of an IPA. It wasnt as malty as other IPAs, which left it unbalanced. As well, the hops were very singular in taste. It tasted like a 2 hop ale, leaving it uncomplex. It was more like, say, an Amber Ale with way more hops but no more complex in taste.

Mouthfeel: Good, not too carbonated, not too watery.

D: Very drinkable considering the non0complexity of this beer. I expected more from Boulevard on this, seeing as their Double Wide is so much better.

Poured from the bottle a hazy golden-yellow with a massive white head that lasted to the end.

Nice aroma of lemon and grassy hops along with a pinch of malts.

Opens with a hit of hoppy bitterness followed by caramel maltiness for balance.

Medium bodied, dry, and moderately carbonated.

A nice sessionable IPA from the folks at Boulevard. Enjoy one.

3.78/5  rDev +0.8%

Falling Rock Tap House had this one as well as some other Boulevard brews. That's good to know.

The Single Wide is an AIPA, but almost tastes like a 2IPA. A nice looking beer. Cloudy golden with a dense head that just did not quit. It stayed at about one finger, a quick swirl even 3/4 of the way down produced a 2 finger head. Good lacing.
Hops are dominant. Some citrus and flower, but mostly resin and pine. Alcohol comes out, too.
Not a very balance IPA. Hops are strong. Again, citrus and pine. Grassy, like dry hay on a hot summer day. This is a darn fine beer, perhaps a bit heavy on the hops. Malt was not present.

3.78/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a hazy golden color with a large whit head that hung around for awhile. Moderate amount of lacing is left on the glass surface. I smell citrus and grassy aromas from the hops. Large hop aroma but nothing from the malt. The flavor is likewise dominated by the hops. Lemon, orange, and grapefruit is detected. Nothing from the malt. I would of liked to see some presence from the malt. A touch overcarbonated leading to a harsh finish. The body is on the lighter side. Nice low ABV and appealing if one likes nothing else getting in the way of the hop flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Poured into New Belgium Globe.

Appearance: Pour a huge fluffy/rocky white head. That lingered for a bit leaving some nice lacing. Has a hazy light golden amber color.

Smell: Mmmm hops. This has lots in the nose. Some grassy notes, lemon zest, orange zest, grapefruit, some piney notes. There is a faint hint of some toasty malts underneath all the hops.

Taste: Taste mimics nose some what. Lots of piney notes, a very nice grapefruit like bitterness. Orange zest, lemon zest. Nice balance with some sweet/toasty maltyness. Very well balanced.

Mouth: Sort of thin in the mouth, a nice mild carbonation keeps it bright on the tongue. Leaves a nice mouth cleansing aftertaste.

Drink: This is going to be my go to hoppy beer. Drinks like a dream, one of my favorite IPAs. Very solid offering from Blvd.

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Picked up a few of these in MO on a recent trip. Best before August 22nd, 2009. Served in my Surly pint glass. I'm a little congested today, so I may be overly hard on smell/taste...

A - Three fingers of creamy off-white foam that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves a pretty solid band of lacing. Murky golden color, with some visible suspended solids from the bottle conditioning. Good looking brew!

S - Plenty of hoppiness - very earthy, with lots of pine, grass, and floral notes. There's some lemon and grapefruit citrus, but it's further in the background. There's a little bit of biscuit-y malt but it's fairly subtle. Not a huge bouquet - and I don't think that's only because of my stuff nose.

T - I get the grass, lemon, and some sweet citrus on the tip of my tongue, but as it moves through my mouth it becomes significantly more bitter in character. Not much malt presence at all. It's nice, but largely neutral.

M - Crisp, dry, ample carbonation, It's got some solid viscosity and residual oily resins.

D - Pleasant taste, low ABV and bitterness - it'd be easy to put back a few of these before the carbonation got a bit to bloaty. If this were my local option I'd be OK with it, but the taste doesn't make me want to keep my fridge stocked like I try to do with Two-Hearted or Furious.

A few recipe changes away from being a contender.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

Clear pale golden hue with a nice frothy full head.

Hops hit the nose drowning out almost all else, but a faint lemon citrus zest.

The beer has a nice citrus up front more on the lemony side of things. A nice change from the usual cal-stlye IPA taste. Nice mellow flavors with a little herbalness in the back.

Very sessionable IPA from Boulevard everything I would expect from them and a bit more.

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

on draft at the stable

poured a bright light copper with fluffy white head and incredible lacing.

smell was citrus and dry, slight hidden malt

taste was dry, very dry, with bitter hop flavor from the swish around the mouth through the finish. light malts through out.

this was slightly carbonated a little too much for me. this added to the dryness overall by giving it some bite

overall, not bad. there was a ton of hype on it so i expected a hop bomb but it was more subtle than what i was hoping for. i will need to check out the bottled version. overall, good stuff.

3.86/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Into my pint glass. A nice, yellow-amber color, with a rich, creamy, two inch head that eventually diminishes to an eighth-inch. Very nice.
Smells nice- pine, citrus, banana.
Taste is great. Well balance of hops and bitterness. Malty with a slight citrus flavor.
Mouthfeel is nice as well- crisp, refreshing. Slightly dry.
This to me is a session IPA. I could drink a bundle of these in a sitting.
Perhaps one of the most well-rounded IPAs I've had. And at the price ($6.50/6-pack), it's proof that great-tasting, quality beer can come relatively cheap.

4.21/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Poured out a somewhat cloudy, orange color with hints of gold. It had a a pillowy, foamy, white, three finger head that left sticky patches of intricate lace.

S - It smelled of tons of pine and citrus. It also had a light caramel malt aroma.

T - It started with a very sharp, bitter hop bite. A very piney and grassy hop character. It had a nice roasted malt flavor with a citrus kick.

M - It was sharp and crisp with a dry finish. A medium-bodied IPA.

D - An amazingly drinkable IPA. And at $7.89 a sixer, it'll be on hand quite often in my fridge.

3.74/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Edited review in 2018: this has either improved since its introduction and my initial review 9 years ago, or my palette has become more forgiving. This was a good looking beer upon it's pour - huge head, nice hazy dark blond color. Good smell, pine and citrus hops. Mouthfeel is decent with some forward hop bitterness. Taste is good and moderately hopforward. This is a good IPA that could use a little more depth.

4.23/5  rDev +12.8%

Served with private tour given by tour guide Poncho (acomplished homebrewer)

With a million and half dollars of new brewing and bottling equipment you need good beer to pay off the investment.

Boulevard Single Wide was well brewed to style (I know - I spent the morning judging American Pale Ale and the mini-Best of Show group including Imperial IPAs and Eng Pale Ales.)

House yeast offers a nice clean character to go with the complex hop aroma and flavor. Base malts support the moderate hop dominated balance. Wonderful appearance even with some obvious dry hopping. Those 1st wort hop flavors are especially delicious and are making me wonder if the bottled versions are as flavorful and drinkable.

Amazingly the next day I found a hoppy APA on tap in Columbia MO that I liked a bit more and as a result have revised my point evaluations down 0.5 for aroma and drinkability. Red Ale and Stout were also served and sampled at the brewery. Amazing improvement in the Irish Red over the bottled versions that I have had in past years.

Single-Wide IPA from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.75 out of 5 with 1,971 ratings