Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Tank 7 Farmhouse AleTank 7 Farmhouse Ale
4.17/5
Tank 7 Farmhouse AleTank 7 Farmhouse Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Most breweries have at least one piece of equipment that’s just a bit persnickity. Here at Boulevard we have fermenter number seven, the black sheep of our cellar family. Ironically, when our brewers were experimenting with variations on a traditional Belgian-style farmhouse ale, the perfect combination of elements came together in that very vessel. You could call it fate, but they called it Tank 7, and so it is. Beginning with a big surge of fruity aromatics and grapefruit-hoppy notes, the flavor of this complex, straw-colored ale tapers off to a peppery, dry finish.

Added by grumpy on 06-19-2009

Ratings: 5,203 |  Reviews: 1,064
4.58/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The grapefruit taste and hops blend perfectly together. This is an outstanding farmhouse ale.

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is my first review so here goes... This is what a beer should look and taste like. As a relative rookie at this I must say that this is at the top of my list right now. The look and and aroma of this beer was exactly what I love about beer. I will definitely keep this one as one to compare others. I did not give it a 5 on everything hoping that I find something that will top this.

4.98/5  rDev +19.4%

My second favorite beer of all time behind Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Maybe this one would be a tie with Odell IPA. There’s just something special about this brew that can’t be described until you taste it. I didn’t love it the first time I tried it, but I did like it, and as I continued to find it and drink it I’ve grown to love it. This is the kind of beer I think that you will either hate it and never drink it again, or it’s funky high-gravity-ness will draw you in.

3.3/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.19/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a perfect pint glass. I know Boulevard primarily for their sour offerings, so this one is new to me.

Appearance - Poured slightly overzealous, four fingers of frothy, pillowy white head. Thick globular lacing. Held up to the light, it is golden, light, light orange. The stream of bubbles are abundant. Re-poured more delicate, still four fingers of head.

Smell - Amarillo hops are very forward, lots of citrus aroma up front. Orange, grapefruit. Little bit of yeast on the nose as it warms towards room temperature.

Taste - Getting shades of lemon, orange peel. Grapefruit is the dominant citrus. Pepper lingers at the back of the palette. Light bitterness. Prominent hops, not a significant malty profile. Wheat accents the pepper finish quite nicely.

Mouth feel - Light, but very effervescent. Not as dry as expected - the mouth feel is almost "juicy" leading to a moderately dry finish.

Overall - A very unique saison. Higher carbonation than average, more fruit forward than spice. For 8.5% abv, the alcohol is very well hidden. Not my favorite offering from Boulevard, it's no Love Child, but a great example for the style. Would buy again.

3.56/5  rDev -14.6%

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

4.46/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.87/5  rDev -7.2%

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my favorite beer in the country, and I travel for a living. Other competitors would be a few "Big Eddie" recipes, Kentucky Ale, and on a hot summer day, or a ball game, Sunlight Cream Ale from Sun King Brewery. Tank 7 is NOT your typical over-hopped fad beer. Don't let the light color lull you into a false sense of security though. It's a very balanced, but powerful brew. Enjoy!

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Strong beer with nice balance between bitterness (strong happiness) and smoothness. The first thing that hit me when I opened the bottle was a fruity (mango) scent which persists throughout drinking it. Pours out a cloud, golden (like a cornfield) color with thick lace. If strong beer is your 'thang' go for it.

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle, date stamp of L032017 1151 D. Best before 15 Dec 2017. Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Slow pour gave a mostly clear golden yellow with nice streams of bubbles coming up through the glass. Thick pillowy head with lots of lacing noted. Great looking beer.

Smell: Citrus, leafy, peaches. Very nice.

Taste: Cracker like malt with lots of citrus flavor and some hints of berry. Herbal bitterness with just a hint of noble hops to it.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, dry finish with some stickiness on the teeth.

Overall / Drinkability: Refreshing and a good slow sipping and savoring beer. I think this would pair really well with food. Fits the European style for a Saison quite well. Very good and I'll have to pick up again. I wonder how this beer would change with if some of the yeast sediment did make it out of the bottle during the pour, but, I think this one is just right with the slow pour.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Love this stuff. Really glad my local grocery store stocks it. Introduced me to Saisons. Try all kinds but keep Tank 7 as my go to.

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.44/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.39/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Smell is hops mostly, also fruit is detected. Taste is mostly hops, but not spicy or overly citrus either. Finishes very clean, is medium carbonated, and has a light feel overall. Beer is refreshing, and very sessionable.

This is my 1st beer of the Saison/Farmhouse variety, and I enjoyed it. Not a mind-blowing tasting beer, but it is good and will seek out other Saison beers in the future.

3.46/5  rDev -17%

Good Beer, but WAY overrated by the KC locals

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.52/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.17 out of 5 with 5,203 ratings