Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Tank 7 Farmhouse AleTank 7 Farmhouse Ale
4.17/5
Exceptional
Tank 7 Farmhouse AleTank 7 Farmhouse Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Most breweries have at least one piece of equipment that’s just a bit persnickity. Here at Boulevard we have fermenter number seven, the black sheep of our cellar family. Ironically, when our brewers were experimenting with variations on a traditional Belgian-style farmhouse ale, the perfect combination of elements came together in that very vessel. You could call it fate, but they called it Tank 7, and so it is. Beginning with a big surge of fruity aromatics and grapefruit-hoppy notes, the flavor of this complex, straw-colored ale tapers off to a peppery, dry finish.

Added by grumpy on 06-19-2009

Ratings: 5,218 |  Reviews: 1,065

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

I haven't had this for a while because I usually don't buy large-format or 4-packs that exceed $10, but hey, 4-packs on sale today! The first time I had this my wife and I were in the mountains for a wedding during the summer, the whole town shut down at 8pm, and all we had was a frozen pizza and a 750 of Tank 7...and it was an excellent dinner. I'm no less impressed by Boulevard's legendary farmhouse tonight. Lovely soft haze, pineapple-meat yellow, and an airy head make this ale look as appetizing as it tastes. The nose is really so complex it's hard for me to sort out, but I get a lot of tropical mango-fruit and floral notes, and the spiciness just gives it that extra edge over a lot of others. Assertive for sure. Mouthfeel is smooth and velvety, nice carbonation, and bordering on thick. Alcohol is apparent in flavor, numbs the tongue and takes your breath away a little at first, wouldn't call this beer "hot" though. Tropical and light citrus fruits (notably lemon) play against a spicy backdrop. Really nice beer. And three left!

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Deep goldenrod color, with an exceptional wildflower white head. It brought joy to my heart to see this beer in a tulip glass.

S: Green apple, apricot, fermented peach

T: Almost impossible to describe. I'll start from the end. Delicious crisp hop flavor, which taste almost too fresh. It is lightly earthy and almost lightly leathery also. The taste on the front of the palate is similar to a delicious crisp apple juice mixed with lemon, complemented by a heavy alcohol base.

M: Smooth, slightly bitter erring on the lowest part of that spectrum and exceptionally crisp. It drinks similar to a good mead or cider.

O: Bought this beer in a build ur own four pack and so far it is my favorite. This beer is a must drink!!! Get it!!

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Yellow and bright. Big bubbly white head.

S: barnyard hay, lemon, and hops.

T: Fresh hops, lemon grass, funkiness, wet hay, pepper and spice. This is a lovely mix of flavors. The hops up front make it even better.

M: Light side of medium with a crisp carb bite. The texture strays away from "smooth" which is actually pretty nice for this style.

O: Love this beer. I've finally reviewed it after the 50th time I've tried it. Great beer and worth the four pack (although I'm drinking it on tap right meow).

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

3.76/5  rDev -9.8%

Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.17 out of 5 with 5,218 ratings