Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Tank 7 Farmhouse AleTank 7 Farmhouse Ale
4.17/5
Tank 7 Farmhouse AleTank 7 Farmhouse Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Most breweries have at least one piece of equipment that’s just a bit persnickity. Here at Boulevard we have fermenter number seven, the black sheep of our cellar family. Ironically, when our brewers were experimenting with variations on a traditional Belgian-style farmhouse ale, the perfect combination of elements came together in that very vessel. You could call it fate, but they called it Tank 7, and so it is. Beginning with a big surge of fruity aromatics and grapefruit-hoppy notes, the flavor of this complex, straw-colored ale tapers off to a peppery, dry finish.

Added by grumpy on 06-19-2009

Ratings: 5,201 |  Reviews: 1,063
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I finally got around to trying what is now Boulevard's best-known beer (though I still love me a good old fashioned Pale Ale), and I get what the hype is about for sure. This is really nicely balanced and flavorful, and very drinkable despite its 8.5% ABV. You definitely get the fruity esters up front, but not too much of the dry finish that is advertised on the brewery's description of their beer. For me, that works well. I'm not sure why it took me so long to try this, but my first one will not be my last.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

3.88/5  rDev -7%

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

Finally trying this after years of passing it by on the shelf.

Poured into a stemmed tulip glass. Pours a cloudy golden straw color with a 3-finger effervescent white head. The head leaves in a hurry, leaving some random cobwebs of lace.

The aroma is full of spicy yeast and pepper, with loads of bready malt and lemony citrus. There's a soft touch of sweet orange before a back end of grains and hops.

Lots of sweet dough and grass up front on the flavor, followed by a wave of peppery spice and citrus. Finishes bitter and hoppy.

The feel is medium-light bodied with pretty hefty carbonation. Very refreshing with an exceptionally crisp and dry finish.

Overall, a pretty good farmhouse ale. Given the price, it's probably not a beer I'd buy again, but I'm definitely glad I finally got to try it.

4.02/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.02/5  rDev -3.6%

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a single-serve into a tulip--I simply cannot believe I've passed on this brew over and over and over and....anyway.

Pours a fine hazy gold with heavy effervescence and an excellent foamy, frothy head. Part farmhouse, part wit in appearance.

The aromas are spectacular and complex. Initially presents as overhopped for the style on the nose, but sweet pineapple and tart green apple with ester/banana background notes quickly step in and provide balance. Spice notes of white pepper and clove arrive, especially as the brew warms. A touch of grain and yeast in the background.

The flavors are somewhat similar, yet also distinctly different from the nose. The sweetness and hops switch places, with tropical sweet, banana, and tart apple up front, and less hop character on the tongue to balance. The hops are more grapefruit than lemon on the tongue, after being pretty piney on the nose. After the fruity sweetness at the front end, the middle rounds out with yeast and bready notes--a more muted semi-dry sweetness. There is a hint of acidic/astringent (lemon) "bite" at the end, coupled with spice notes of white pepper and clove that provide a fairly dry crisp end of the sip. The flavors are more subdued than the nose, maybe disappointingly so, but still very enjoyable and complex. If there is one noticeable flaw that might rise above personal taste, it's that there is a lack of expected "funk" coupled with a bit of overweening sweetness.

The mouthfeel is medium light to medium. The strong carbonation mixed with the crisp finish make this eminently drinkable.

OVerall, I should be ashamed for seeing, and then passing on this brew by one of my favorite American brewers for years in favor of more hoity-toity or experimental Farmhouse brews. Is it a classic Saison? No. But it's a pretty darn good one.

4.09/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a very hazy yellow with a large white head. Smells of yeast, bananas, other fruits, and grain. Tastes of Belgian yeast, seeet fruits, and grains. Medium bodied with high carbonation. Overall it's a great farmhouse Ale.

1.29/5  rDev -69.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a hazy yellow and leaves the same colored body with a two and a half finger white foamy head that rises a bit and then falls producing a thick spider web foamy lacing; the aroma has some slightly sweet lemon, just a tad of a graininess, some super light grapefruit notes, light yeast enters in as it warms; the taste has sweet lemon yeastiness and a bit of some funk leads to a peppery dry aftertaste and finish; the palate is light to medium, mostly sessionable, carbonation is extraordinarily smooth; Overall, this is a fabulous beer.

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Smooth two-finger head, fairly clear straw gold color, decent lacing.
S: Immediate pepper and yeast notes, with a nice, crisp hop bite, some lemon in here as well, smells like a saison haha. Quite sharp nose
T: immediate esters and pepper, with some residual sweetness, and a mild clean hop bite. there are some earthy, dirty notes here that are not very pronounced, and (i'm gonna come back to it again) some grainy, bready sweetness here. I think I even detect a hint of melon. Gonna be honest, I don't love american hops in my saison, unless they are dry hopped and even then it can be very hit or miss (it's a miss here)
M: dry, but not overly so, could stand some more wheat in the grain bill IMO.
O: it's good, it's not great, for an american saison, it's very good, I know a lot of people swear by this beer, but honestly, I don't love it, I love belgian beer, it's where my heart is at, if you love belgian beer with a subtle american spin on it, you'll like this, but to me, there is something about the body and hop profile that is a tad too americanized for me and as such, it's better than okay, but it sure as shit isn't great, take it with a grain of salt, coming from me, I don't take a risk on beers very often, I buy stuff I know or can find out about easily enough, or I don't buy, for this reason, I haven't had a lot of 'okay' or 'bad' beer, so my standards may be higher than most. not saying I have a more refined palate or anything like that, but most of the breweries I buy from have been open for 100 plus years, it's good enough, but I don't love it.

Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.17 out of 5 with 5,201 ratings