Seeyoulator Doppelbock | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Seeyoulator DoppelbockSeeyoulator Doppelbock

Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Doppelbock

Availability: Fall

Doppelbock was first brewed in Munich around 1700 by the monks of Saint Francis of Paula, to sustain them through the Lenten fast. They called their full-bodied brew “Salvator.” Today it is customary to pay homage to the good brothers by giving doppelbocks names ending in “-ator.” Our version bids a fond aufwiedersehen to tradition, charting a flight path into bold new territory. Medium amber in color, it offers a heady, estery banana aroma. Rich maltiness predominates, with cedar aging lending just a hint of spice to the finish.

Added by Bitterbill on 09-05-2009

Liked:
3.93/5
Alströms:

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

Draught @ brewery tour: This one poured a fairly clear amber color with a very small white head. It didn't last and didn't leave much lacing at all. The aroma is sweet, malty caramel with a hint of nuttiness and spices. Perhaps some fruits in there also. The taste is quite good. Sweet and malty, with just a touch of bitterness leaving a hint of a dry taste. Very Nice!

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours murky brown with a lively 2 finger light tan head. Has some orange/copper highlights. Decent lacing.

The smell is surprisingly sweet. Dark fruits, bananas, bready malts, maybe a hint of something woody, but I can't say for sure. The sweetness is almost Belgian-like.

The first sip retains the sweetness, but every subsequent sip brings out more bitterness. The fruitiness is still there, but roasted malts and toffee come out a lot more, as well as what I'm expecting is cedar flavors. Maybe not as rich as other doppelbocks I've had, but it's pretty satisfying and unique.

The finish is long with bitter roasted malts and bananas.

The mouthfeel is slightly thin, but the carbonation is pretty nice. I think I would have liked the finish to be more dry. The beer seems to keep piling up in my mouth.

The drinkability is decent, but with the long finish, it starts to feel heavy on the palate.

Overall, interesting take on the style. Not my favorite of the new Boulevard beers, but not a disappointment.

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Trappistes Rochefort goblet this beer settles a nice, slightly dark red/orange color with a 1 finger white head and doesn't really stick around too long. Practically no lacing in the glass. Smell is of mild fruit with a bit of woodiness and medium strong malt as with most stronger doppelbocks. Taste is almost sour to the tip of the tongue with a slight bitterness towards the back. A little spice and a hint of alcohol, not strong but noticeable on the palate. Similar to average German dopplebocks, Boulevard provides a nothing spectacular but in no way disappointing brew to be enjoyed if not just for the experience of trying something new. Not different but new as in not previously available. Not sure that I will be revisiting this beer any time soon but I wouldn't say that it's not worth a try. Just not that into much for German style brews unless they're authentic or extraordinary I suppose. Still worth a try so check it out.

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%

750mL bottle poured into a pilsener glass.

A: Pours out a light, slightly chill hazed peachy brown, looks a little bit like iced tea, especially with the thin and wispy cap of sandy white head that tops this beer. Head fades into a ring rather quickly, no lacing, but a decent amount of carbonation showing through in some slowly rising ropes.

S: If it didn't look like a dopplebock it certainly smells like one; loads of rich, sweet malt dominate the nose, it's a thick, biscuity, almost caramel covered dinner roll kind of doughiness.

T/MF: Slightly peppery/herbal kind of spiciness to it on top of a thick layer after layer of maltiness. Bits of honey brushed sweetness here and there play together with a slightly boozy sweet dryness. Feels much lighter than the ABV would indicate, an almost effervescent, bubbly kind of feel, fills the mouth on every sip then becomes a bit chewier as the bubbles subside on the tongue. There is a lightness in taste, that is, a lively, crisp kind of sweetness, not a lingering, slick, sticky kind of sweetness that say, Samiclaus has, but then again this beer is about half the size of that beer. I guess what I am trying to get at here is an underlying kind of fruitness displayed by this beer, it really plays well with the peppery/ sweet/ doughy aspects of this beer and adds a certain character to the beer that I am really thoroughly enjoying at the moment.

D: Offff this beer may feel light on the tongue but it packs quite a punch in the stomach. Through one glass and really wish I had a friend to share the rest of this bottle with.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

half a 750ml bottle was poured into a DFH tulip

A- pours a near opaque ruby color. not as dark as most dopplebocks, almost looks more like a barleywine. very unique. produced a 2 finger white head. not a ton of lacing. the head reduces to a thin film after a couple minutes.

S- smells almost like a strong ale or an imperial read. almost a little hop aroma on the nose. maybe it's the cedar adding some earthy tones. a very unique aroma. it's subtle though and difficult to pin point certain things out.

T- definetely one of the most crisp and most hop driven dopplebocks I've tasted. I will state that I am not very familiar with how cedar affects flavor so, some of these flavors could be attributed to that. All the flavors are very enjoyable. some other standout flavors include a load of caramel malts and a pleasant breadiness. the only fruit like flavor i can pick up is maybe a hint of banana

M- for a dopplebock I feel this one is quite thin and overcarbonated. it fits the beer well but it actually seems too off for the style and takes a little bit away from the beer. I can't deduct a ton of points as it's still very enjoyable

D- no problem taking down my 12ish oz's my buddy shared with me, and I'm sure either of us could have put the whole bottle down in a sitting. Very good stuff. The smokestack Series has yet to disappoint.

Poured from 750ml bottle into New Belgium Globe Glass.

A. 2 finger head when poured from 750ml caged and corked bottle. Dark amber color. Good lacing and good head retention.

S. Malty smell mixed with the cedar gives an interesting aroma. Slight yeasty smell as well, with some alcohol. Can't really smell the banana that the bottle label describes.

T. Sweet maltiness. Cedar adds different and interesting touch. Little spiciness. Fruit taste that is hard to describe. Little bit of alcohol on the finish.

M. Medium bodied. Medium-low carbonation. Sweety boozy finish.

D. Goes down pretty easy. I will admit that I am a little inexperienced with the style, but I liked this beer. I feel that it makes a nice Autumn addition to the Smokestack Series which continues to impress me.

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a clear, amber orange color, but was expecting darker from a Doppel, and had an impressive 3 finger yellow head which made some nice lacing. Yellow head? That's very odd. Aroma is Belgianesque, reminds me somewhat of Maudite, only with the added cedar wood, with some nice caramel and light banana in the background. Taste is average but not really what I really look for in a Doppelbock. To much Belgian yeast flavor going on here, but the underlying caramel and toasty sweetness is nice. The cedar is as noticeable on the tongue as it is in the nose. Mouthfeel had some crisp carbonation at first, but it escaped rather quickly leaving the beer lightly silky and smooth. Not bad, but really not what I look for in a Doppelbock. Why mess with a tried and true style? I applaud their creativity, but I can't see myself picking this one up again.

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Pours a dark ruby red color with a little bit of haze. A two finger beige head forms and leaves some patchy lace.
S: A rich malty aroma. Dry wood, dark fruits, toasted caramel.
T: Again, wonderful rich malty taste. Dry wood, some smoke, dark fruits, and sweet toasted caramel malt.
M/D: A full body and medium carbonation. Dry with a sticky syrupy consistency. A good warming feeling that lets you know there is some alcohol. A great beer to sip on. Something to savor.

A great Doppelbock that follows the style. The Boulevard Smokestack Series can do no wrong. Another great beer from the series, and a great warming beer for when the temperatures cool off. Highly recommended.

3.46/5  rDev -12%

This beer pours a cloudy dark amber color. The head is a solid inch in height, and recedes very slowly into nice lacing. This beer is definitely on the lighter end of the color spectrum for a doppelbock, but that doesn't bother me much. The aroma is mostly cedar. Everything else is almost lost among the wood. The cedar is nice, but I would like to take in some more of the nice maltiness that lies beneath. The taste is slightly less cedar like the, and the malt comes through a little more. However, it is still far from balanced. The mouthfeel is full bodied with lively carbonation (especially for a doppelbock), and a velvety texture. Overall, this is by far my least favorite of the smokestack series, but I think that speacks more of how good its predecessors than about how bad it is. While writing this review I really got to thinking about why I value balance in barrel/wood aged beers. I asked myself, "is it far to keep asking this beer to be more balanced?" I came to the conclusion that this questions certainly needs to be answered on a case-by-case basis, but it more cases balance equals complexity.

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a corked and caged 750ml bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet. Extra special thanks to thehand for the trade!

Batch Number: 1-2009 7/10

A: Pours a cloudy and hazy reddish amber color. Covering this is a gorgeous looking, khaki-colored, three finger dallop of cream on top. Retention was awesome and the ropes and splotches of lace left behind were beautiful.

S: Toasty malt (caramel, toffee, and nuts) was in full effect along with spices, green apple, berries, a touch of alcohol, and cedar. As it came up to temp it started to smell like one of those cedar sashays (sp?) that you throw in your closet to keep it smelling good.

T: Much like above with more of a toasted malt and roasty nut flavor. Earthy and grassy hops, dried herbs, slightly tangy apples, vanilla, spices, cedar, and coconut. Did I mention I'm a sucker for cedar?

M: Surprisingly spicy and bitter, for the style. I expected greater sweetness but was rewarded with a refreshing peppery spiciness. Likely due to the cedar.

D: Man, do I dig the beers in the Smokestack Series! I don't usually drink doppelbocks, but after this I may have to work more of them into my rotation!

batch 2- 2009
8/10

pours redish brown with a big 2 finger pillowy head that leaves spotted lacing

smells of fruit and sweet toasted malts and alcohol

taste - besides the fruit and malts i pick up some woody flavors which i am guessing comes from being aged on cedar - this beer was a bit too sweet for me to give it a better score

mouthfeel - medium body that is smooth which is what i want in a doppel

drinkability takes a small hit for the sweetness of the beer

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

Batch 1-2009. Corked and caged bottle.

Pours into a tulip a deep copper/red with 3 fingers of off-white head that recedes to a thin cap after a few minutes. Moderate-heavy carbonation is visible.

The aroma consists of bready, toasty, and caramel malts, and a pleasing spicy woodiness from the cedar aging. The bottle says "bottle conditioned lager" but a faint banana ester suggests that there is a Bavarian weizen yeast influence in this beer...very intriguing.

The base of the flavor is toasty Munich-type malts and sweet caramel malts. A clean and distinct cedar spiciness is evident throughout. The alcohol presence is only faintly detectable.

This beer finishes only slightly sweet, unlike many higher ABV doppelbocks, which tend to finish very sweet and although this may be a little out of style, it really lends to the drinkability.

I have to say, this beer was pleasantly surprising. I was expecting it to be the muddle of flavors that these somewhat experimental beers tend to be, and it certainly doesn't resemble a traditional doppelbock; however what it is is an extremely smooth, complex, and original beer that pushes into new beer territory and perfectly embodies the essence of autumn. A total success in my opinion.

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured into a tulip with a thick rocky head. Medium brownish amber color. really a lot lighter in color than I was expecting.

Such a rich aroma, Vine fruits, rich earthy malt, and just a kiss of alcohol on the end of the nose. inhale too much and it'll burn.

Tastes of rich malts sweet vine fruits and a touch of cedar in the end. EArthy in every category but really not as thick and creamy I was expecting. Nice take on the style.

Mouth is dry. I really can only diss the beer on this one thing. Doppelbocks to me are viscous and thick, and this one isn't. kinda a rare miss. Drinks fairly easy and if it were 20 degrees cooler it would go down quicker.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from the bottle intoa Snifter

Pours a very deep carmel brown with a nice thick fluffy head. Laces sticky.

Nose is of very rich vine fruit and fig. Very earthy overall. Bannana and sweet malt with untertones of alcohol.

Suprisinly subtle and extremly earthy hops, malt and fruit all very earthy. Alcohol burns the throat on the way down but its not overlly boozy

Mouth is silky and medium bodied, easy to drink and very straightforward.

Easy to drink and overall a very god fall offering from boulevard. They continue to make good beers and take some nice chances.

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

GLASS: Pokal
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
BATCH NUMBER: 1-2009 7/10

The cork was a bitch to extract. I actually had to use a corkscrew to get it out. When I did though, it came out with a nice 'pop'.
Pours up a nice dark, yet crystal clear, amber color. Over three-fingers of light tan colored foam make the head. Retention is good and lacing is clumpy and somewhat sticky.
(I gave my second glass a 'hard' pour and got, easily, eight-fingers worth of foam!)

A mild nose, full of light notes of malty goodness. A slight earthy/woodiness. Toastiness with hints of jams/fruits.

Okay, certain brews like Celebrator, Salvator, and Optimator have spoiled me for Doppelbocks. I want them to be thick and hearty. This one is not. It's still quite good, but it seems a touch too light.
It's got a good maltiness coming through. A decent amount of dark fruits show up, mostly cherries and berries. A nice mild level of spice presence. A fair amount of yeastiness. An earthy/woodiness, which I presume is from the cedar aging. I wanted a more prominent wood-like characteristic from this. I guess you only really get that from oak.

Medium bodied brew. Carbonation level is high, but not overdone. Smooth, with a light presence of creaminess.

The 8.5%abv is only minorly noticed, which is good. It drinks easily enough. Personally, I think I'd rather have one of the forementioned brews, but this would be a good one to have in a party atmosphere.

2.35/5  rDev -40.2%

A=this was the hardest cork to open that I have ever had. Really pissed me off to start sipping this beer. The pop was quiet which lead me to believe this is another low carbonation Lost Abbey beer. The pour actually yeilded a large three finger rocky head with tiny bubbles and some decent lacing totally unexpected from the cork and pop. The color is a hazy amber pretty good looking I'm actually impressed.
S= very quiet in the smell area.... smells like beer I guess. There's a small malt coming through and a tiny amount of spice but really not much of anything. The smells was a lety down after the awesome appearance.
T= pretty good but nothing spectacular. Similar to the smell only less malt and more spicyness. Really smooth and delicious but not much is going on with it. Some alcohol comes through but very little.
M= pretty high carbonation sort of feels like a BMC.
D= definitally unimpressed with this beer. Nothing special going on. The more I think of it the more it tasted like a good malt liquor to me.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

The bottle was very tightly corked, kinda a pain to get open.

A: Huge, expanding head of a very light tan with varied bubbles. The head is taking its sweet time to shrink as well -I did the hard pour method, I've found that to be really good for aroma. The beer is a rudy red orange brown. A little haze to it, but no visible particles. When the head does leave, it leaves just a little lace.

S: A toasted malt smell with some very fruity notes. Like a jam or something, particularly a raspberry smell. It isn't terrifically strong of a smell. It's sweet, but I wish it was a little sweeter smelling and more malty.

T: It stays very fruity, but there's a dry roasted flavor buried in there and I also get notes of bitter hops. There is bready base I suppose. But it isn't terribly complex. More like the few German dopples I've had, but still with some American-ish notes, particularly the fruity esthers of the yeast.

M: Mildly sparkling to me,which I don't like in a db. I want it smoother.

D: Quite drinkable, though it's making me a little gassy. But at eight and half points, this is very friendly.

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%

750 mil smokestack bottle into a pint

A - Pours a brown color with amber hues - a bit "bright". Head formation is strong, 2mm head. Dirty white in color. Very hazy beer, lots of apparent carbonation.

S - Starts off with a yeasty, bready malt backbone. Malty sweet. Just a light amount of phenolic tones in the background - driven by that 8.5%.

T - Starts off with a nice malty sweetness, some bready notes. Moves to some caramel and toffee tones - certainly has the taste of piles of residual sugars. Leaves behind a bit sour note complemented by some phenolic tones.

M - Moderate to strong body - thick and creamy. Carbonation is above average, a bit biting at times. Clinging and cloying in the aftertaste from the unfermentable backbones.

D - Moderate drinkability - this is a dopplebock. A bit filling. Flavors are not that potent, manageable. ABV is dangerous.

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

750ml corked and caged bottle served in a new style Boulevard Chalice. Bottle conditioned. Lots of carbonation. Poured a reddish gold with a finger of off white head. Decent malty aroma with a fair amount of noble hops and some esters. Spritzy mouthfeel with medium body. Decent malt base, but maybe a little thin. A little more bitter than a traditional German style. Could use a bit more malt complexity. Cedar seemed to present itself as some spice in the finish, but didn't really jump out at you.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Pours a clear copper with a 2-finger tan head which breaks down to some great lacing.

S - a sweet estery aroma. Hints of toffee, banana, figs, with some wood and grain in the mix.

T - sweet bold flavors. A strong banana flavor with toffee and a faint wood (cedar) flavor at the end. Also, a nice not too strong alcohol flavor/heat is present at the end.

M - Excellent mouthfeel!! A thick rich beer that coats your mouth allowing you to taste the various flavors of the beer well after you swallowed. A good amount of carbonation, could be a brought down a bit but not bad.

D - A great sipping beer!! way too sweet/strong to have more than 2 glasses but that is not the point here.

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

As is customary with the Sixth Glass brews, this one pours with a huge blast of head that fills the pils glass before you can say don't overflow. After a couple of minutes the head begins to break apart and leaves a chunky lacing behind. Color is a crisp, clear amber. Big caramel malts and spice float slowly to the nose. Wow, the taste is bold with a boozy spiciness, big malts, subtle bananas and some woodiness (as read on the label). Medium to heavy bodied and goes down dry with some sharp, craggy edges. I can see that this beer is gonna to be one of those that you either love or hate, as some are going to dislike the extremes it presents, while others like me, will embrace.

3.89/5  rDev -1%

750 ml corked and caged bottle, batch number 1-2009, bottled 7/10. This is very bl. Poured into a tall Hobgoblin tumbler, there is a huge billowing light tan head. It acts like the foam from ice cream when you make a root beer float. Very slow to settle, it leaves even rings on the glass with each sip. Color is a ruddy caramel, and has very active carbonation. Very impressive presentation.

Smell has a thick bready malt aroma with hints of wood and spice in the background. The label points out a "banana estery aroma," but I'm not catching that so much. There is a very mild phenolic whiff. I wonder if a little aging might adjust that.

I don't think I've ever had a beer aged on cedar, and a doppelbock seems to be the perfect beer to do that. They typically have a darker and bolder malt character that would be attuned to an aromatic wood. The taste is much spicier and the cedar aging really comes through. Surprisingly, the cedar is not overpowering like oak aged beers can be. It just lingers in the finish to add an extra level of spice. Subtle move. Still very malty with a hint of cloves and mint.

Mouthfeel is a little thin for a doppelbock. Some more traditional versions really are like liquid bread, thick and chewy. This has a more of a medium body. Not bad, plus the carbonation increases the spice texture. Very nice addition to the Smokestack Series.

Blipped "Save it for Later" by the English Beat

3.76/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

served from a 750mL bottle into a 2009 Boulevard Smokestack Series goblet

Pours a shade that lies somewhere in between burnt-orange and red. Good clarity. As per usual for the Smokestack Series, the head was voluminous and billowing. When it eventually recedes it does so to a creamy cap. Lacing is predictably good for a head of such size.

Typical Dopplebock aromas present here. Yeasty with sour apple and banana. The malt bill is definitely assertive; lots of toasted scents. As the beer warms the cedar becomes more and more pronounced, providing a contrasting sense of astringency. There is something that I thought was part of the cedar smells at first but as the beer warms it becomes clear that I was smelling German hops (hallartau?)

I can sure taste the cedar. Wow. The very first thing that I notice is the slight astringency and the heavy spicy notes from the cedar chips because its such a diversion from the typical dopplebock flavor profile. After a few sips, my brain calms down and I can appreciate the savory malt characteristics and how they play with apple peel and pear fruit notes. This isn't a fruit-bomb or a sweetness-bomb like other dopplebocks can be, though; its tempered with a sense of balance. Almost lost amid the cedar is the heavy-for-the-style hopping. I do feel that the cedar begins to be a little bit too much as the beer warms. The finish is surprisingly bland given the strength of flavor on the palate. Ultimately, I am surprised and disappointed at the relative lack of depth of the flavors present in comparison with other top dopplebocks and also with the other entries into Boulevard's Smokestack Series.

The mouthfeel is pretty creamy; appropriate for the style but not adding anything exceptional to the overall package. As far as drinkability goes, the cedar spiciness prevents me from enjoying as much of this beer at one time than I would otherwise like.

This is my least favorite Smokestack series beer. I can't help but be disappointed, as I've been looking forward to this beer since late 2008. The cedar chip aging was a noble experiment but I ultimately feel that it detracts from the beer's potential more than it offers positives to it. That said, its still a solid dopplebock that, depending on your preferences, you may love. I can see some people really digging this dopplebock.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Given to my dad and split with me on Labor Day.

As my dad put it: "It tastes like a good homebrew."

Pours a light brown color with little head. Smells sweet - a hint of vanilla and cedar.

Taste has hints of brown sugar, vanilla, cedar, and an even slighter hint of the alcohol. A good doppelbock. I wouldn't mind having this one aged though.

Disclaimer: I have a hunch this beer might impress me a bit more on another day. I don't dislike it, but it just doesn't quite hit the Doppelbock spot. Update coming....?

App: Far too transluscent and pale for a doppelbock, very little head and lace upon pouring.

Ar: Minimal, with sweet malts, astringent cedar, faint over-ripe banana.

Tst: Underwhelming hints of brown sugar, woody, banana, dry cedar and moderate booze bite. Not at all bold.

Mthfl: Too thin, slightly astringent and prickly.

Drnk: No problem knocking it down - there's nothing disagreeable about it, but have to be in the mood for a doppelbock of this sort.

Nothing about this beer impresses me. Just seems middle of the road.

Cellar time in order?

Seeyoulator Doppelbock from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 74.1% out of 100 with 205 ratings