Harvest Dance | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Harvest DanceHarvest Dance

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Wheatwine

John Barleycorn is memorialized in English folk tradition as the personification of the barley plant, sacrificed at harvest time and then reborn as beer or ale. Our Harvest Dance Wheat Wine is a celebration of John’s Midwestern cousin, wheat. Beginning with a large portion of wheat malt, we add an equally generous helping of Hallertau and Citra hops and age the ale on both French and American oak. The result is a big, warming burst of tropical fruit flavors, highlighted by subtle wine-like notes, and rounding slowly to a long, dry, oaky finish.

Added by bort11 on 10-30-2009

1.08/5  rDev -73.3%

This beer is too sour to enjoy. I try something else

2.47/5  rDev -38.9%

From 750mL C&C bottle to snifter on 2/4/12
*From notes

-- Thanks, John --

A: A good pour = a huge head. Massive - over 3.5 fingers of the white goodness fill the glass. It's a clean 24k gold in hue.

S: Sharp, intense wheat and plenty of over-ripe banana. A bit too much for me.

T: This ain't much better. It's a pure, unadulterated wheat bomb. There's an epic ton of banana, clove and all the things I've come to hate about beers like this. Regardless, I know how to grade to style, and this is just overdone.

M: Very gueuze-like. Too bubbly and not enough heft. For a beer like this, and with the ABV it's packin', there needs to be more body and depth here.

O: Nope, no more for me, thanks. Boulevard's Harvest Dance is an out of balance and not overly drinkable foray in to the wheatwine category, one that produces signifiganly more misses then hits.

Sadly, this falls into the former.

2.51/5  rDev -37.9%

Pours a clear dark copper color with golden orange edges and a massive 2.5 finger frothy off-white head that takes forever to settle into a lasting cap/ring. Chunks of soapy lacing left behind.

Earthy aroma with a floral/piny hop character along with sweet, leathery malt and booze in the nose. Perfume-like with a surprisingly strong resinous, oily hop character. I'm not picking up much wheat character just paler malts than would be found n a barleywine.

Medium bodied and slightly oxidized with tight carbonation up front and a prominent dry, earthy hop presence. Pretty bitter with lots of earthy pine and only faint citrus sweetness. Lots of heat and boozy sweetness with sweet malt notes underneath. Hints of caramel, toffee and dark fruit. Not as earthy, leathery as expected with a but more wheat character than the aroma suggests. Faint spice with some bready yeast and orange peel. The bitterness from the hops give this beer a bit of complexity but overall it's too boozy and a bit of a mess.

2.82/5  rDev -30.2%

Best by date 1-2009-10/10. Pours a four finger head over a one finger liquid. Head is yellowed over a cloudy light-copper colored liquid. Smells clovey, hay, earthy, with a dash of sour and some ligh fruity esters (pear and banana). Marangue, woody, and earthy.

Tastes clovey with wheat. Bleech. Gotta go searching to fill out the flavors on this one. Wet malt clear beneath the phenols and is accompanied by strong fruity esters. Peach and some pear. Has a raspberry jam or strawberry jelly character to it.

Strong carbonation and md light body. IMO, not very drinkable.

2.95/5  rDev -27%

Courtesy of Oddefellowe. Pours deep gold with tall nearly explosive off white head. It smells a touch infected with bright notes of wheat, sharp yet not strong acidity, a mild level of banana and bubble gum. The taste is bright and punchy with thin wheat mixing with a bit of acidity and then moving into smooth somewhat sweet banana. If it is infected it wasn't much of a distraction.

2.99/5  rDev -26%

This is my only second wheat wine style beer. The other was 75th streets wheat wine! So when I poured this I thought it would be darker and sweeter. Appearance is brighter than I expected. Almost copper color, amberish. I can see a bit of suspended yeast and it is a bit cloudy. I absolutely love the smell. I can definitely pick out the citra hops, as I am a regular drinker of SN Torpedo which is the only other beer I know that has this new hop. The taste is very Belgium blond to me. I can pick up the sweet wheat malt all over. Not as sweet as I would like. I think this beer is overcarbed to my liking. I like the beer, but it is not one I'll pick up very often.

3.04/5  rDev -24.8%

3.17/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A near gusher from the corked bottle. Finally settles down to a hazy amber in the Gulpener tulip with endlessly streaming bubbles. Distracting fizzy mouthfeel. Quite sticky with sugar. A whiff of Band Aids.

At first couple of sips I thought there was something bacterial going on, but it seems to be the massive carbonation and the wheaty esters. Fruity and grapey. It makes me think of alcoholic Thompson Seedless grapes with some Belgian yeast invited to the party. Sharp and aromatic with a hoppy burn, finally, in the back of the throat.

I would hope for a more refined sipping brew for a Wheat Wine, but this is certainly an experience. From the 750 ml bottle purchased at Special Brews in Lynnwood, Washington.

April 9, 2016 UPdate: Tasting the 2015 edition and liking it better. Still very grapey and the bandaid nose. But the wheaty saison flavor is quite tasty, with a beautiful sudsy mouthfeel. Still, it's a oddball, sweet and liqueur-like.

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

A - Light bronze. Some cloudiness. Good head. Good lacing.

S - Sweeter than we'd like. Tangerine fruitiness. Not much alcohol/hops.

T - No hops to balance out the sweetness. First taste is a bitter (alcohol) followed by a straight up wheaty beer taste. Lots of sweet vanilla. Good taste for a wheat beer but not what I was expecting after drinking other wheatwines. Somewhat 1 dimensional.

O - I can see why people would like this beer. IT really is the smell (while drinking) that makes this beer too sweet for me. Alcohol and hops are present, just well hidden. I'm not much of a fan of white wine either so maybe that's why I don't quite get it.

3.23/5  rDev -20%

Very active pour, tons of fizzy head, decent lace. Nose is pretty mild with wheat, booze, plenty of hops, and yeast. Spicy, but withdrawn.

Taste is spicy; hops meld with the wheat backbone but get clouded by the massive carbonation. Plenty of booze character. Medium-bodied but the excessive carbonation really kills any potential it might have.

3.23/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Harvest Dance from Boulevard Brewing Co.