Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Harvest Dance | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Harvest DanceHarvest Dance
4.03/5
Exceptional
Harvest DanceHarvest Dance

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Wheatwine

John Barleycorn is memorialized in English folk tradition as the personification of the barley plant, sacrificed at harvest time and then reborn as beer or ale. Our Harvest Dance Wheat Wine is a celebration of John’s Midwestern cousin, wheat. Beginning with a large portion of wheat malt, we add an equally generous helping of Hallertau and Citra hops and age the ale on both French and American oak. The result is a big, warming burst of tropical fruit flavors, highlighted by subtle wine-like notes, and rounding slowly to a long, dry, oaky finish.

Added by bort11 on 10-30-2009

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

My brother gave me 2 of these for Christmas.

Date: 2/2011; best by 6/2012... bullshit.

I poured this into a Cigar City snifter.

A: Ahh... the Boulevard carbonation bill - gotta love it! It poured with a massive, frothy white head which started to form the second it hit the glass. The liquid itself was a cloudy, yet bright orange color.

S: Lots of grass.... smelled like a Belgian IPA even. Candy sugar galore, and with a nice hop profile (Citra hops!) and a bit of oak.

T: Extremely smooth.... the smoothest in this style for sure! I mean, seriously, this didn't have that compact sugar bill that many wheat and barleys have. It was almost a very, very hoppy, grassy saison actually...or... Belgian IPA.

M: Spritzy and then some. Wheaty and then some. The sugar bill was low due to the overwhelming carbonation bill, and the lacing was somewhat splotchy.

O: This was not like any Wheatwine I've ever tried. High quality stuff for sure and much more in step with the "wheat" part of the "wine" than any others of this style that I've ever tried.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Batch Number 2010-1. Best by 07/2011. Thanks to bigswo for this fine ale. Poured into tulip glass.

A: Pours light golden straw color with a finger and a half of off white foam. Pretty good retention and no lacing.

S: Creamy, candied citrus, honey, pale malts which smell like crackers, a little grassy/grainy, some awesome cherry, and a bit of caramel malt.

T: Spice and candied/sweet citrus, lemon and banana, earth, and pale biscuity malt. Has some sort of peppery/wheaty aftertaste.

M: A little syrupy with medium-full body and medium-light carbonation. Warming, but hides the alcohol.

O: Interesting flavors, and pretty drinkable for the style/ABV. Shows some nice complexity as it warms. I haven't really enjoyed the other wheatwines I've tried, but this is pretty good. Reminds me vaguely of a Sauternes.

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: golden-orange in color, hazy, 2 inch huge head, high carbonation

Smell: citrus rind, earth, alcohol

Taste: very citrusy--orange and lemons, pale malts, caramel and noticeable alcohol

Mouthfeel: bitter—slight sweetness at the end, high carbonation, light bodied for the style

Overall: An above average to OK wheatwine. I have been blown away by some wheatwines I have tasted, but this is not one of them. I would be really curious though to try this with some age. I will say the whole time I was drinking this I was thinking--I have had better in the style--yet I want more...I want more.

4.92/5  rDev +22.1%

Reviewed from notes:

Poured into a thistle glass...

P: Hazy brownish orange with a slightly reddish tint. A mountain of off white meringue head with unreal retention and beautiful bubbly webbing. Small amount of bubbles cascading to the top.

S: Powerful bouquet of funky wheat, hay, clove, coriander and earthy hops. Partners of this senseational brigade are lemon, yeast and once aggregated a burst of banana and bubblegum advance full force. Also, has a somewhat mentholated spice to it.

T/M: Mind blowing, decadent syrupy bubblegum and bananas explode onto the palate. Carbonation is tongue tingling with a strong presence of apple and orange peel bitterness to round of this smooth finish.

O: Wow!! Simply amazing beverage that is at the top of my list of all time favorites. I truly look forward to engulfing this lush brew again and again.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Got this from 2beerornot2beer in the Blind Beer Round 6 BIF.

A: Pours a beautiful murky apricot gold color. There is a huge white puffy head that just refuse to go away. There is some really great lacing left on the glass as it drinks.

S: Smells of some funk, apricot, citrus, wheat, and fresh cut grass. Even though it’s funky, there are some really bright notes in this beer as well. I’m very impressed.

T: The taste is wonderful. It starts off sharp and clean with some citrus and grains. The funkyness (brett?) comes on strong and lasts throughout, but it’s never overwhelming. There is an underlying sweetness that is perfect for this beer.

M: Medium bodied beer. This beer is sweet, crisp, funky, and finishes dry. The flavors don’t last on the palate, but maybe that’s best for this beer. It begs you to drink some more.

O: I‘m sincerely impressed with this beer. The play between funk and sweetness is spot on. I love the earthy notes in this beer, and I love the crisp citrus. This beer is pretty darn good.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance- A hazy bright golden orange color with a huge white foamy head that stays for WAY longer than youd expect from a beer with such a high alchohol content.

Smell- Smells fantastic. Very potent smell of oak and citrus. Pretty unique but blends nice.

Taste- Same as the smell but heavier on the citrus side of things this time. You can taste the booze in it but its not as overpowering as you'd expect for a 9.1%.

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with very high carbination. Still goes down pretty smooth despite the carbination and high abv.

Overall- I like it a lot. If I'm gonna spend the $10 I might take a gamble on something else in that price range instead of buying this one again though.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Harvest Dance from Boulevard Brewing Co.