Rye-on-Rye | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Rye-on-RyeRye-on-Rye
4.22/5
Exceptional
Rye-on-RyeRye-on-Rye

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Rye Beer

Why Rye? This assertively flavorful grain is more often associated with whiskey than with ales. Even in that arena, it has largely been eclipsed by corn and barley, the sources of bourbon and scotch. But when we procured some seasoned barrels from our friends at Templeton Rye, we asked ourselves, “Why not?” Why not brew a rich, tawny rye ale, then mellow it in the warmth of charred oak rye whiskey casks? Two kinds of malted rye provide spicy sweetness, giving way to notes of caramelized wood and the citrusy tang of Perle, Magnum, and Saphir hops before easing into a dry, lingering finish.

Added by wagenvolks on 02-16-2010

Ratings: 1,795 |  Reviews: 439

1.72/5  rDev -59.2%

2.12/5  rDev -49.8%

2012 Version

Had this one sitting in the cellar for a bit, finally decided to pop it. Pours a reddish-orange with a moderate off-white head.

Smell... damn it all to hell. The smell is off. No whiskey, slightly tart and acetic.

Taste confirms what the smell hinted at. Tastes slightly spicy and then everything goes to [email protected]#%. Slightly tart, slightly rotten garbage, very disgusting.

Mouthfeel - who cares when the beer tastes like this?

Overall, I was looking forward to trying this as Boulevard usually makes a solid product. Quite disappointed by how this turned out.

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

2.27/5  rDev -46.2%

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.56/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This is definitely a niche market beer. It came highly recommended by the shop owner and I was attracted by the high ABV and the whiskey barrel aging process. Obviously, it is not chugging beer. It is brewed to enjoy slowly in an easy chair along with good company and stimulating conversation. I have to say though, that I didn't enjoy it as I though I would. I can't blame the beer... it was exactly as advertised. But as it turned out, I just didn't like the blended tastes. In the future, when I want rye whiskey I will drink rye whiskey and when I crave a brew, I will have a beer. With that said, its a distinctive and unique tasting beer that is worth a try by true beer aficionados.

2.59/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to DiabolikDUB for this bottle.

A: Pours a dark brown with some caramel notes and an off-white head.

S: Some bourbon and a bit of spice. Something is a bit off, but I can't pick out what it is.

T: Bourbon, rye, and maybe a bit of cardboard; at the same time, it doesn't taste like there's anything particularly wrong with it. Don't think it was a brewing/packaging issues; there's just something my palate doesn't agree with.

M: Dry and a bit hot.

D: Something just not right all around here. Usually a fan of Boulevard's bigger beers, but can't get into this one.

2.61/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle with Bottle No. 17291; Best By: Feb. 2014; Batch: 2012-2

The beer poured a brown/dark copper color, with noticeble carboantion rising to the top of the glass, off white/cream colored head that dissipated in the blink of any eye.

The beer gave off an aroma of Dark fruits, wood, a hint of smoke and whiskey. In my opinion, this was the best part of the beer.

The taste was way too much whiskey for me and not enough of Rye. I like a good Rye beer, which is why I bought this one, but if I wanted whiskey, I would have poured a Johnnie Walker instead.

The beer had a medium feel mouth feel to it, it had good carbonation, and the alcohol was very noticeable.

Overall, while I applaud the creativity, I think that this one is a miss, but given the overall rating, I would be willing to give it another shot.

2.66/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

From a Thrillogy pack, best by 7/2017. Dirty dishwater color, small tan floated. Looks like rusty water. On the noise caramel, oak and earthiness. Taste follows the nose but borders on turning tart. Thin mouthfeel. I'll pass.

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.77/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Rye is this beer so bad? If I wasn't against drain pours I would totally pour this one down the drain. Perhaps I'm drinking it too soon with a month from being bottled. Maybe it improves with age but fresh right now it is horrible. Not the worst beer I've had but definitely close. The smell is intriguing with its bourbon aromas but taste is stale whiskey with some rotting dark fruit. Thank God it's 12% so I can forget how bad it is. Really don't understand the highest rating on this one.

2.8/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Rye-on-Rye from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.22 out of 5 with 1,795 ratings