Rye-on-Rye | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Rye-on-RyeRye-on-Rye

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Rye Beer

Why Rye? This assertively flavorful grain is more often associated with whiskey than with ales. Even in that arena, it has largely been eclipsed by corn and barley, the sources of bourbon and scotch. But when we procured some seasoned barrels from our friends at Templeton Rye, we asked ourselves, “Why not?” Why not brew a rich, tawny rye ale, then mellow it in the warmth of charred oak rye whiskey casks? Two kinds of malted rye provide spicy sweetness, giving way to notes of caramelized wood and the citrusy tang of Perle, Magnum, and Saphir hops before easing into a dry, lingering finish.

Added by wagenvolks on 02-16-2010

Ratings: 1,720 |  Reviews: 410

2.61/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle with Bottle No. 17291; Best By: Feb. 2014; Batch: 2012-2

The beer poured a brown/dark copper color, with noticeble carboantion rising to the top of the glass, off white/cream colored head that dissipated in the blink of any eye.

The beer gave off an aroma of Dark fruits, wood, a hint of smoke and whiskey. In my opinion, this was the best part of the beer.

The taste was way too much whiskey for me and not enough of Rye. I like a good Rye beer, which is why I bought this one, but if I wanted whiskey, I would have poured a Johnnie Walker instead.

The beer had a medium feel mouth feel to it, it had good carbonation, and the alcohol was very noticeable.

Overall, while I applaud the creativity, I think that this one is a miss, but given the overall rating, I would be willing to give it another shot.

3.99/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

A: It is a hazy deep brown/orange body with a 4 finger brown tinged white head.

S: Rye is definitely present. There is the aroma of whiskey and caramel malts in the background.

T: A little overly complex. There is toffee in the front that clashes a little with the whiskey flavors. There is subtle caramel malt present as well as some oaky flavors.

M: Very thick and heavy body with great carbonation.

O: A great beer. Rye is not my thing but this would be a fantastic beer for the rye beer lover. The only rye beer that I've had that is better is Dueling Pipers.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Dim reddish brown, with an ample white head. Great retention.
S: Sweet caramel malt, earthy rye, a bit of fruityness accented by a nice bit of whiskey and cherries. One of the most memorable beers I’ve smelled in the last year.
T: Flavor is a throwdown between the smooth sweet caramel malt and the brash spicy rye, ending with a quick kick of whiskey. Slight alcohol burn is noticeable, but not out of place for 12%. Otherwise, the whiskey is nicely integrated. Finishes pretty clean with the slightest bitterness.
M: Soft, fine carbonation with a medium body results in a pretty smooth mouthfeel.

I have to commend Boulevard on making an aggressive, whiskey barrel enhanced beer where all the other desirable attributes are also readily apparent. Easily my favorite Smokestack Series beer. If you like rye and whiskey, this is your beer.

2.5/5  rDev -40.3%

Rye-on-Rye from Boulevard Brewing Co.