Rye-on-Rye | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Rye-on-RyeRye-on-Rye

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: Rye Beer

Why Rye? This assertively flavorful grain is more often associated with whiskey than with ales. Even in that arena, it has largely been eclipsed by corn and barley, the sources of bourbon and scotch. But when we procured some seasoned barrels from our friends at Templeton Rye, we asked ourselves, “Why not?” Why not brew a rich, tawny rye ale, then mellow it in the warmth of charred oak rye whiskey casks? Two kinds of malted rye provide spicy sweetness, giving way to notes of caramelized wood and the citrusy tang of Perle, Magnum, and Saphir hops before easing into a dry, lingering finish.

Added by wagenvolks on 02-16-2010

Ratings: 1,720 |  Reviews: 410
4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

3.32/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

750ml corked/caged bottle split between a pair of large snifters, poured at fridge temp into fairly warm glasses, so I'd guess it came out in the vicinity of 45-50 F. Batch Number/Best y Date: RR13324-11-2015. Served on 7 March 2014.

Pours brown, big creamy head which fades very slowly, is supported by a lot of carbonation. Has a beautiful silky texture. Cloudy, brownish. Smell is something grapey, maybe some yeast.

Taste...I just made the bitter beer face, and my wife asked (with surprise), "You don't like it?" My response was, "The alcohol just slapped me in the face. It'll take me a second to adjust." So, I guess I'd say it's a bit hot. Aside from that, lots of rye spiciness, some smoke, more alcohol.

Mouthfeel is nice, creamy, hint of grittiness. Overall...too hot to be great, but some pleasant flavors otherwise.

4.49/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden and brownish. Kind of foggy with a light colored head.

S: Smells awesome! Malt, brown sugar, big hops, and booze.

T: This drinks very similar to a barleywine. I get caramel, rye bread, seed, toast, honey, lots of hops, brown sugar, malt, and a nice spice on the end. Very tasty.

M: Pretty damn thick.

O: So glad I got this at the bar. A little pricier than the others, but definitely worth it. I'll be getting the bottle when I go to the shop next. Cheers!

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Re-review...oh wait, this is my first review, nevermind. I only rated this when I was completely fucked up beyond belief. 750ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: An aggressive pour yields a tawny colored body with an off-white shaded head that's a hand high. The head retention is...well, frustrating - it also has a very frothy texture that aids the aforementioned retention. Thick rings of lacing are left behind. The only detractor is some chunky sediment in the body itself.

S: I'm getting a really wonderful yet subtle barrel note, loaded with vanilla and mild oakiness. The malts provide some great rye notes - it's spicy much in the way a Belgian ale would be. That, or it actually uses Belgian yeast (not surprising given the brewery) and the rye works beautifully with it. I also pick up a lot of the European hops, which add a wonderful dimension to this beer. There isn't a hint of the 12% anywhere. Aromatically, it really speaks to me - it says "DRINK ME NOW".

T: It drinks much like a (good) BSDA would, only with a pleasant rye spiciness on the finish. This really brings the rye malts in a good way, along with some peppery and dark fruit-y yeast esters. Come to think of it, the finish is also pretty vanilla-forward, as well. Also, I get faint grapefruit hints. A light booziness enters the aftertaste, but otherwise, the alcohol is masked admirably. The flavor depth is solid - it's not the most complicated beer ever. Considering the fantastic rye flavors and well hidden alcohol, I don't really care. It's complex enough.

M: It's not ridiculously full bodied, but it is relatively creamy and restrained in carbonation. Actually, the restrained carbonation makes it a bit syrupy compared to, say, Duvel. Hey, it's 12%. Better to be a bit sweet than a bit boozy as far as I'm concerned.

O: Oh yeah, this hits my palate in all the right places. It's sweet, but not too sweet. It's spicy, but not too spicy. It's boozy...no fuck that, it's not boozy at all. Boulevard really worked wonders here - it's so good, I think I'll kill this 750 solo.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excellent beer, but then again, I've never had a big rye I DIDN'T like. This one was robust, a bit boozy, but not as much as I was hoping for. Some fluffiness in the mouthfeel that tells me there was plenty of yeast. The spiciness of the rye comes through perfectly, though I do detect hop bitterness added in to try to cut into the sweet and sour taste. Maybe not enough bitterness, though. The one thing I didn't like about this beer was it was a bit too sweet. It was a fun sour-sweet that I like about rye, but both the sweet and sour character were a bit cloying. I wish they'd been cut into a bit with some smoky wood, some roasted malt, or maybe even hops. At the same time, I know this was an experiment into how big and "how rye" they could make a rye beer. So, it was fun to try, but definitely a cloyingly sweet and sour taste was left in my mouth that was unpleasant.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Rye-on-Rye from Boulevard Brewing Co.