Dark Truth Imperial Stout | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Dark Truth Imperial StoutDark Truth Imperial Stout

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Throughout the ages, man has been fascinated by the quest for hidden knowledge, the search for the secret to transforming the elemental into the extraordinary, the simple into the sublime. Ladies and gentlemen, we present for your consideration this exotic, inky concoction, the almost magical creation of our modern day alchemists who have turned humble grains—barley, wheat, rye, and oats—into black, liquid gold. Layers of complex flavors slowly emerge from the glass: espresso, roasted fig, crème brulée. Belgian yeast provides a plum-like fruitiness, noble German hops reveal spicy, herbal notes, while the rich, velvety mouthfeel mellows to a dry, smoky finish.

Added by BradLikesBrew on 02-28-2010

Ratings: 2,563 |  Reviews: 741
4.19/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a dark brown with a finger and a half of tan head. Smells of roasted coffee and roasted malts. Tastes of coffee, roasted malts, and a little bittersweet chocolate. Medium bodied with medium-light carbonation. Overall this is a pretty delicious imperial stout.

3.34/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev -6.8%

Let me start by saying I'm a huge fan of stouts; it is by far my favorite style of beer. However, Dark Truth left something to be desired.

Look: I use what I call "the finger test" for the look of stouts. If, held up in front of a light you can't see your fingers on the other side of the glass then it's perfectly dark! This stout pours straight obsidian.

Smell: A bit single-minded here, all I can smell is licorice. Would like more depth.

Taste: Very heavily alcoholic; the best imperial stouts mask this flavor. Underneath that is espresso, licorice, ash, and a tiny bit of chocolate. I think the ash and espresso overpower the other flavors, and I'd like a dash of vanilla.

Feel: Too carbonated for a stout.

Overall: There are much better imperial stouts for the same price. I'd drink this beer again but I wouldn't purchase it or go searching for it.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

4.08/5  rDev +3%

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I liked when they put these into 4 packs, made little sense (from the consumer's perspective) to have these in 750ml bottles.

Anyways, standard stuff, pours a very pretty jet black and 1/2" tan head, good small bubbles and retention. Aroma was pretty much all roast.

The taste is a little bit different as you have a mild Belgian yeast strain going on here. Now don't get scared, it isn't like they dumped a whole spice rack's worth of clove in this one. In fact, I didn't pick up on any of it, but I did get more dryness in the body, which the yeast could be the source there. It comes off a little more of a Russian Imperial Stout than a hybrid American/Belgian one. There's plenty of dark fruit to meet the roasted body. Slightly bitter and smoky as well.

Gave it a slight bump in the overall score because of the affordability of the 4 packs.

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark brown on the pour, black in the glass. Tons of frothy tan head. Smells of tobacco, sandalwood, and molasses. Taste is an interesting mix of peppery and chocolatey, with the molasses dimension holding over from the smell. Put all together, it's almost a steak sauce flavor. Definitely a grower with a distinct taste.

4.29/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.72/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Schlafly snifter. Pours pitch black (no light getting through) with a 1 inch thick dark tan head. Leaves nice cascading tan lace down the glass. Smells of chocolate and tastes of chocolate, smoky, Belgian and coffee - a really great mix. Medium-full bodied and very smooth. Bought as a single and can't wait to buy another bottle.

3.96/5  rDev 0%

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Very dark and dry but clean. Some maybe burnt & coffee type flavors but clean aftertaste. No overpowering flavors. Not sweet and the ABV is well hidden. So overall for an imperial stout I would say it's a good, clean, dry, dark stout.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Apparently, they have begun downsizing in that they put this bad boy in a 12-fl. oz. format! Hey, I know that I already have a Bottle Backlog that could sink a ship, but between the price point & my curiosity, how could I resist? BTW, that is a non sequitur.

From the bottle: "60 IBUs".

I Pop!ped the cap & began to assess my state of mind. It has been a long week & I have to go back in tomorrow (now, later today, in the afternoon), so why go crazy? Another non sequitur, BTW. I still managed to raise a finger of foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head with limited retention. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing light only penetrate at the edges to give off garnet tones. Nose had an interesting, odd citrusiness, like a chocolate orange, but liquefied. I attended a private school as a young man & I remember one of my classmates bringing several as a birthday treat. I came from an upper-middle class family where these kids were scions of the upper crust (read 1%), so they brought things for others on their birthday. I was generally given a pass, but occasionally, I had to provide. Still, that orange-shaped candy made of chocolate that tasted of both sticks with me to this day. I generally abhor chocolate, but it was so citrusy and tasty that I have never forgotten it. This beer had the same citrus-chocolate flavor(s) & I was suddenly in love. I have a new pursuit whom I hope will allow me the benefit of the chase. I dislike when my paramours give in too easily. I think that this would make a nice beer with which to entice her. It straddles the line between not-too-sweet and not-too-tart/bitter nicely plus it evokes an expensive candy, so it should be just the ticket. Finish was semi-dry, but more due to the underlying citrus flavor than anything else. I am very impressed.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Black color with a brown head. Molasses aroma. Taste matches, along with notes of brown sugar, dark fruit, and alcohol. All balanced on a strong malt backbone. Warming feeling.

Dark Truth Imperial Stout from Boulevard Brewing Co.