Dark Truth Imperial Stout | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Dark Truth Imperial StoutDark Truth Imperial Stout

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Throughout the ages, man has been fascinated by the quest for hidden knowledge, the search for the secret to transforming the elemental into the extraordinary, the simple into the sublime. Ladies and gentlemen, we present for your consideration this exotic, inky concoction, the almost magical creation of our modern day alchemists who have turned humble grains—barley, wheat, rye, and oats—into black, liquid gold. Layers of complex flavors slowly emerge from the glass: espresso, roasted fig, crème brulée. Belgian yeast provides a plum-like fruitiness, noble German hops reveal spicy, herbal notes, while the rich, velvety mouthfeel mellows to a dry, smoky finish.

Added by BradLikesBrew on 02-28-2010

Ratings: 2,562 |  Reviews: 740
4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Schlafly snifter. Pours pitch black (no light getting through) with a 1 inch thick dark tan head. Leaves nice cascading tan lace down the glass. Smells of chocolate and tastes of chocolate, smoky, Belgian and coffee - a really great mix. Medium-full bodied and very smooth. Bought as a single and can't wait to buy another bottle.

3.96/5  rDev 0%

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Very dark and dry but clean. Some maybe burnt & coffee type flavors but clean aftertaste. No overpowering flavors. Not sweet and the ABV is well hidden. So overall for an imperial stout I would say it's a good, clean, dry, dark stout.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Apparently, they have begun downsizing in that they put this bad boy in a 12-fl. oz. format! Hey, I know that I already have a Bottle Backlog that could sink a ship, but between the price point & my curiosity, how could I resist? BTW, that is a non sequitur.

From the bottle: "60 IBUs".

I Pop!ped the cap & began to assess my state of mind. It has been a long week & I have to go back in tomorrow (now, later today, in the afternoon), so why go crazy? Another non sequitur, BTW. I still managed to raise a finger of foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head with limited retention. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing light only penetrate at the edges to give off garnet tones. Nose had an interesting, odd citrusiness, like a chocolate orange, but liquefied. I attended a private school as a young man & I remember one of my classmates bringing several as a birthday treat. I came from an upper-middle class family where these kids were scions of the upper crust (read 1%), so they brought things for others on their birthday. I was generally given a pass, but occasionally, I had to provide. Still, that orange-shaped candy made of chocolate that tasted of both sticks with me to this day. I generally abhor chocolate, but it was so citrusy and tasty that I have never forgotten it. This beer had the same citrus-chocolate flavor(s) & I was suddenly in love. I have a new pursuit whom I hope will allow me the benefit of the chase. I dislike when my paramours give in too easily. I think that this would make a nice beer with which to entice her. It straddles the line between not-too-sweet and not-too-tart/bitter nicely plus it evokes an expensive candy, so it should be just the ticket. Finish was semi-dry, but more due to the underlying citrus flavor than anything else. I am very impressed.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Black color with a brown head. Molasses aroma. Taste matches, along with notes of brown sugar, dark fruit, and alcohol. All balanced on a strong malt backbone. Warming feeling.

4.63/5  rDev +16.9%

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Doesn't really feel like a stout. I like the hoppiness and smokey aromas. It's very dry, so maybe that's what throws me off. It's a medium body which leaves a bit lacking to the mouth feel.

"Best by 11/25/16"; drank 7/10/15 @ the Yarchives.

Black appearance.

Dark tan head; decent lace.

Plum, black coffee, mild smoke & faint booze heat in the nose.

Medium thick mouthfeel.

Chocolate syrup & candle wax flavors up front; fresh earth & a hint of smoke on the finish. Faint booze heat emerged as this warmed. Sturdy RIS vibes here; complex yet drinkable.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%

I bought this bottle at Total Wine & More in February 2015 so the beer has been resting for more than two years in the bottle.

I didn’t give this beer a high score when I tasted it at #Porterfestivalen in Gothenburg in November 2013.
We’ll se what aging in the bottle has done to this beer!

It pours black with a two finger, brown head tha sinks down to a thin, creamy, brown head. No lacing on the glass.

Nose: Soy sauce, plum, raisin, roasted malt, a hint of coffee and dried fruit.
Taste: Dark chocolat, plum, brown sugar, roasted malt, coffee, red fruits, some sour taste... I really cant get it... perhaps it’s the Belgian yeast?
Mouth: Full, complex body. Dry an bitter. Medium to high carbonation.

I’m glad I saved a bottle to 2017. A few years (more than 24 months) in the bottle has made wonders to this beer!
It is deeper, more complex and with a great smooth character now. I’m definitely going to raise the rating!

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Viscous coffee bitter - good but thick endeavor! Oak, feb, 2017

3.55/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark Truth Imperial Stout from Boulevard Brewing Co.