Dark Truth Imperial Stout | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Dark Truth Imperial StoutDark Truth Imperial Stout

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Throughout the ages, man has been fascinated by the quest for hidden knowledge, the search for the secret to transforming the elemental into the extraordinary, the simple into the sublime. Ladies and gentlemen, we present for your consideration this exotic, inky concoction, the almost magical creation of our modern day alchemists who have turned humble grains—barley, wheat, rye, and oats—into black, liquid gold. Layers of complex flavors slowly emerge from the glass: espresso, roasted fig, crème brulée. Belgian yeast provides a plum-like fruitiness, noble German hops reveal spicy, herbal notes, while the rich, velvety mouthfeel mellows to a dry, smoky finish.

Added by BradLikesBrew on 02-28-2010

Ratings: 2,566 |  Reviews: 743
3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- poured into tulip; pours pitch black with an enormous foamy tan head that retains well after the pour, leaving permanent thick patches if lace

S- dark fruity notes of plum and fig from the Belgian yeast, spicy hop notes, dry roasted malt, a touch of chocolate and coffee

T- dark fruit flavors follow the aroma, fig and plum. Chocolate espresso leads to a dry and smoky malt profile, almost a bit of smoked meet. The dry malt is balanced nicely by a spicy-yet-herbal hop profile. The finish is dry, lightly smoky & chocolaty with an herbal hop bite

M- medium-heavy body with medium carbonation, foamy and chewy mouthfeel with a creamy finish. There's a bit of alcohol warmth on the finish, but its very drinkable fir nearly 10%

O- the herbal hop notes add another dimension to the dry-roasty malt. The Belgian yeast also adds an interesting layer as well. Very complex and one I would gladly try again

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.04/5  rDev +2%

Found in 4 pack at World Market for 8.99 on sale, I drank it out of Hangar 24 chalice, with all stouts, I hold them up to the light to get a true sensse of it's color..this one ..one word..Inky..So, I pour, nice head retention and lacing, medium carbonation...The nose is heavy, with molasses and malt making it a very nicce smell..so, the beer, roasty, dark, chocolately, malty, a very well rounded Imperial, not to crazy, not so everyday either.. stout, thick and nice, perfect for a dark night, or a chilly morning to get you going..would I buy it again..hmmm..I already did. Enjoy the beer.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.12/5  rDev +4%

I actually had this recommended by someone very cool, so I went out to Whole Foods and found it! I am glad I did. I drank from a small tasting glass (basically a miniature pint glass), and man, what an easy pour!

Appearance: Poured out almost silky smooth, it looks very thick and has a really nice deep pitch color. The pour produced a nice head, somewhat creamy in its texture, but the foam is a light-tan brown, like the color of wet sand.

Smell: Banana bread and nuts, believe it not, but I can't really place what kind. I can't really pick anything else up in the nose.

Taste: This is a rather complex stout. For a 9.7% Imperial Stout the alcohol is barely there, and it tastes a bit like darker rum. The banana bread is definitely under the rum, and there is a hint of burnt oat and hops, almost an ale-like quality in the latter. A little bit of a bite on the finish, which reminds the drinker that there is indeed alcohol in there. Very smooth and drinkable for stout fans, but I don't know if I would suggest this to first-timers.

Mouthfeel: Barely-there carbonation, which I like in my stouts. Very smooth, velvety on the tongue. Very nice. "Warming" is a good word, and warming usually means a good stout. Settles very nicely.

Overall: I really quite enjoyed this. It isn't a pinnacle beer, but it is a masterful expression of the style. Boulevard really made this a pleasure to drink. This is probably one of the best stouts I have had, period, and I will most likely pick it up again.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

3.1/5  rDev -21.7%

12oz bottle into Hill Farmstead snifter ;) I let this beer sit out for about 20 minute to warm. That's how I like stouts.

A: Pitch black, looks thick. Big head even with a gentle pour. I couldn't fit the whole bottle in the glass.

S: Banana bread up front big time. Nutty, walnuts. It sounds weird, but if I really focus on the aroma, it almost smells like a dairy freezer, like in a super market. Maybe a bit of dark rum.

T: The banana bread from the aroma is in the taste too. The nutty aroma comes through in the taste as a must, not wonderful, but not the dominant flavor. Slightly boozy on the backend. Bitter, hoppy finish, burnt oats.

M: Carbonation is fine. Body is thick. It's a little less smooth than other stouts.

O: I'm not crazy about this stout. The aftertaste is funky, the booze isn't masked well, and the mouthfeel is a little harsh for the style. The aroma was definitely the best part of this beer.

Dark Truth Imperial Stout from Boulevard Brewing Co.