Dark Truth Imperial Stout | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Dark Truth Imperial StoutDark Truth Imperial Stout

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Throughout the ages, man has been fascinated by the quest for hidden knowledge, the search for the secret to transforming the elemental into the extraordinary, the simple into the sublime. Ladies and gentlemen, we present for your consideration this exotic, inky concoction, the almost magical creation of our modern day alchemists who have turned humble grains—barley, wheat, rye, and oats—into black, liquid gold. Layers of complex flavors slowly emerge from the glass: espresso, roasted fig, crème brulée. Belgian yeast provides a plum-like fruitiness, noble German hops reveal spicy, herbal notes, while the rich, velvety mouthfeel mellows to a dry, smoky finish.

Added by BradLikesBrew on 02-28-2010

Ratings: 2,567 |  Reviews: 743
4.29/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Apparently, they have begun downsizing in that they put this bad boy in a 12-fl. oz. format! Hey, I know that I already have a Bottle Backlog that could sink a ship, but between the price point & my curiosity, how could I resist? BTW, that is a non sequitur.

From the bottle: "60 IBUs".

I Pop!ped the cap & began to assess my state of mind. It has been a long week & I have to go back in tomorrow (now, later today, in the afternoon), so why go crazy? Another non sequitur, BTW. I still managed to raise a finger of foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head with limited retention. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing light only penetrate at the edges to give off garnet tones. Nose had an interesting, odd citrusiness, like a chocolate orange, but liquefied. I attended a private school as a young man & I remember one of my classmates bringing several as a birthday treat. I came from an upper-middle class family where these kids were scions of the upper crust (read 1%), so they brought things for others on their birthday. I was generally given a pass, but occasionally, I had to provide. Still, that orange-shaped candy made of chocolate that tasted of both sticks with me to this day. I generally abhor chocolate, but it was so citrusy and tasty that I have never forgotten it. This beer had the same citrus-chocolate flavor(s) & I was suddenly in love. I have a new pursuit whom I hope will allow me the benefit of the chase. I dislike when my paramours give in too easily. I think that this would make a nice beer with which to entice her. It straddles the line between not-too-sweet and not-too-tart/bitter nicely plus it evokes an expensive candy, so it should be just the ticket. Finish was semi-dry, but more due to the underlying citrus flavor than anything else. I am very impressed.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Black color with a brown head. Molasses aroma. Taste matches, along with notes of brown sugar, dark fruit, and alcohol. All balanced on a strong malt backbone. Warming feeling.

4.63/5  rDev +16.9%

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Doesn't really feel like a stout. I like the hoppiness and smokey aromas. It's very dry, so maybe that's what throws me off. It's a medium body which leaves a bit lacking to the mouth feel.

"Best by 11/25/16"; drank 7/10/15 @ the Yarchives.

Black appearance.

Dark tan head; decent lace.

Plum, black coffee, mild smoke & faint booze heat in the nose.

Medium thick mouthfeel.

Chocolate syrup & candle wax flavors up front; fresh earth & a hint of smoke on the finish. Faint booze heat emerged as this warmed. Sturdy RIS vibes here; complex yet drinkable.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%

I bought this bottle at Total Wine & More in February 2015 so the beer has been resting for more than two years in the bottle.

I didn’t give this beer a high score when I tasted it at #Porterfestivalen in Gothenburg in November 2013.
We’ll se what aging in the bottle has done to this beer!

It pours black with a two finger, brown head tha sinks down to a thin, creamy, brown head. No lacing on the glass.

Nose: Soy sauce, plum, raisin, roasted malt, a hint of coffee and dried fruit.
Taste: Dark chocolat, plum, brown sugar, roasted malt, coffee, red fruits, some sour taste... I really cant get it... perhaps it’s the Belgian yeast?
Mouth: Full, complex body. Dry an bitter. Medium to high carbonation.

I’m glad I saved a bottle to 2017. A few years (more than 24 months) in the bottle has made wonders to this beer!
It is deeper, more complex and with a great smooth character now. I’m definitely going to raise the rating!

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Viscous coffee bitter - good but thick endeavor! Oak, feb, 2017

3.55/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.89/5  rDev -1.8%

I'm sort of a beginner when it comes to beer, so I'll give it my best shot. I love most Boulevard beer and this one is no exception. The beer when poured has a very smooth finish to it and I had a really good head on my glass. The color is very, very dark being red, but closer to black and opaque. The taste, to me, was pretty dry but with a nice finish. The after taste is very similar to IPA's that I have tried. The smell is nothing spectacular, but it's enjoyable. The beer felt as smooth as a normal lager would. If you're a fan of IPA's, then this beer is probably your speed. I'm not a big fan of IPA's, but this. beer is definitely a good stepping stone to adjusting to that kind of flavor. I rate a 4/5. I'd likely have it again.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Dark chocolate black with a frothy, muddy beige head of 1/2 finger.

Aroma is faint and kind of strange...roasted malts, smoked pork, light fig.

Tastes like a Belgian Quad made with spoiled figs and smoked meats dipped in soy sauce. It doesn't particularly remind me of a stout, much less an imperial one.

Feel is super carbonated, which really helps its case here. Semi-dry roast on the finish.

Overall, Dark Truth is one of the worst Imperial Stouts I've tried. It just doesn't taste like a good stout should and imparts way too much Belgian influence here to make it drink like a smoky Quad. Not a fan, probably won't buy again.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

From the bottle it pours a viscous black color with a foamy tan mocha head. It soon dissapates but leaves a nice frothy film and collar that retains well.
There is a lot going on in the nose. At first there is the smell of roasted coffee malts. This is followed by a creamy aroma that has a minty almost menthol like freshness while still cold. As the drink warms, some nutty and woody aromas come out. Also, towards the end it begins to take on a dark Belgian Ale like aroma with an emphasis on dark fruit.
There are several elements of the taste that are aligned with the aroma. Drinking this beer is like a tale of two palates. When cold, the taste is initially sweet, with a creamy coating that never disappears. There is a cocoa like sweetness as well as some mint and coffee/espresso that is not too bitter. Soon however, some spiciness from the hops balances out the sweetness. It provides a slight bitterness in the finish, which is also characterized by a woody and smoky feel. As with the aroma, the flavor takes on a new life once the drink warms. It really begins to feel like a Belgian Ale due to the prevalence of dark fruit and yeast characteristics.
The body is on the full side of medium but very drinkable. It is creamy, smooth and velvety. The carbonation is a bit tight at first but eventually settles into a calm and gentle mouthfeel. The alcohol is barely detectable.
An interesting, complex and dynamic stout. Another great job by Boulevard.

3.44/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle (best by AUG 11 2011) ,into a Funky Buddha snifter.

Pours a deep brown,leading to a thin khaki colored head that dissolves relatively fast.Jet black in color,with not much light showing through the glass.Light carbonation.

I don't get much on the nose aside from dark roasted malts,some sweet chocolate,and light roasted coffee.The overall notes are all pretty hard to detect.

On the palate I get lots of roasted coffee beans,and dark roasted malts.I also get some sweet milk chocolate.Trace amounts of dark fruit and alcohol on the back end,but not prominent.

The body is medium / heavy with the slightest hint of alcohol warming.

As far as imperial stouts go,this one is good but nothing special.The look is pretty average,the nose is lacking,the taste definitely steals the show.I probably won't pick this one up again,and not because it is bad,but because there are so many more on the market that are a better experience.Still a solid Imperial Stout though.

4.92/5  rDev +24.2%

Personally one of my favorites. Better when not too cold.

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

Dark Truth Imperial Stout from Boulevard Brewing Co.