Dark Truth Imperial Stout | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Dark Truth Imperial StoutDark Truth Imperial Stout
3.99/5
Very Good
Dark Truth Imperial StoutDark Truth Imperial Stout

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Throughout the ages, man has been fascinated by the quest for hidden knowledge, the search for the secret to transforming the elemental into the extraordinary, the simple into the sublime. Ladies and gentlemen, we present for your consideration this exotic, inky concoction, the almost magical creation of our modern day alchemists who have turned humble grains—barley, wheat, rye, and oats—into black, liquid gold. Layers of complex flavors slowly emerge from the glass: espresso, roasted fig, crème brulée. Belgian yeast provides a plum-like fruitiness, noble German hops reveal spicy, herbal notes, while the rich, velvety mouthfeel mellows to a dry, smoky finish.

Added by BradLikesBrew on 02-28-2010

Ratings: 2,608 |  Reviews: 757
3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

2 year aged 12oz bottle into a tulip

dark black pour with a nice big beige head. smell of chocolate, cocoa, dark roasty malts. extremely aromatic. taste is a bit sweet up front and i get a lot of belgian candied sugar...plums, dark fruits. a bit surprising as wasnt expecting this. finish with a nice sweetness too. definitely not a typical american stout. body is medium and carbonation is medium as well, higher than most of the style.

overall unique, impressive!

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

This beer is a solid imperial stout, doing just about everything well, but nothing superlative. The beer pours almost perfect black stout, tan head, and good lacing.

It falls off in the smell. The scents I get seem to be the right ones, dark coffee, molasses, a hint of alcohol; however, I had to make an effort to pick these out.

My initial impression of this beer was of molasses. This flavor waned as the beer warmed, being replaced with a coffee and woody hops. There is also a light hazelnut taste, it seems. The body is just a bit light, maybe thinned a bit by the alcohol (which adds a little bite at the end).

Will definitely look for this again. It's a more bitter (I feel the IBUs in the beer), but very straightforward winner for the style.

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've been wanting a really good stout for a while now, this met the requirements for sure.

Poured very,very dark...almost like a cold brewed coffee.
Great head, dark tan in color, good retention and plenty of lacing, the glass was sticky after the beer was gone. That's a good thing in my book.

Smell was fantastic, lots of dark roast coffee, chocolate very little spicy hop character.

Taste was spot on with the smell, dark coffee (espresso even) chocolate, its a stout that's not trying to be something else.

Mouth feel: I liked the carbonation this beer has, its aggressive at first but then it dies down and the bubbles are very tiny which give the beer that "creamy" feel.

Overall this beer was really great, a true stout, no bull crap dark fruit or wood flavors, just awesomeness.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

4.44/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I am a beer novice and actually bought this for someone else. He hated it. His loss.

Okay, so this is the first beer I've ever had. Seriously. (well, since disastrous and heinous attempts at it in college)

Appearance - I drank it straight out of the bottle so I can't comment much about the appearance. Shame on me and I will do it better next time.

Smell- I did give it a good whiff. It smelled like yeast rolls! And a little something green and meadow-y.

Taste- Wow. Just wow. Beer is...yummy? Okay, seriously. Upfront I get a little taste of that elusive green meadow thing going on. Some yeast. Then a bit of bittersweet chocolate and a hint of raisin lurking somewhere in that. Then oh my goodness bitter char and coffee. Like being punched in the mouth with a sack of coffee beans.

Mouthfeel - It coated my whole mouth in a pleasant way and left me to enjoy it for quite some time.

Overall- I am not sure what it's worth but as someone who hates beer; I love this. I would buy it again. I would drink it in a house and I would drink it with a mouse. I liked it!

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Dark Truth Imperial Stout from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.99 out of 5 with 2,608 ratings