Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dark Truth Imperial Stout | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Dark Truth Imperial StoutDark Truth Imperial Stout
3.99/5
Very Good
Dark Truth Imperial StoutDark Truth Imperial Stout

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Throughout the ages, man has been fascinated by the quest for hidden knowledge, the search for the secret to transforming the elemental into the extraordinary, the simple into the sublime. Ladies and gentlemen, we present for your consideration this exotic, inky concoction, the almost magical creation of our modern day alchemists who have turned humble grains—barley, wheat, rye, and oats—into black, liquid gold. Layers of complex flavors slowly emerge from the glass: espresso, roasted fig, crème brulée. Belgian yeast provides a plum-like fruitiness, noble German hops reveal spicy, herbal notes, while the rich, velvety mouthfeel mellows to a dry, smoky finish.

Added by BradLikesBrew on 02-28-2010

Ratings: 2,591 |  Reviews: 752

2.51/5  rDev -37.1%

750ml caged and corked bottle(batch 2010-1 best by 1/13) courtesy of my pal, russpowell. Thanks Russ!

The cork was not a problem to remove so...it pours a pitch black with a 3 finger head of tan foam.

The smell is nice with lots of roasted malt and dark fruits with side notes of coffee and dark chocolate.

The taste starts off roasty with some coffee and dark fruitiness, the latter of which comes off as really tart bordering on sour. Hmmm..I didn't expect that and I don't openly welcome it. There's some good smokiness and hop bitterness now and they kind of counteract the sourness but not enough to put a smile on my face. This is a very *weird* brew as there is no harmony at all with the flavours.

No complaints about the mouthfeel as the body and carbo are done right.

Drinkability? Setting aside the fact that this is 9.7%abv, this is by far the hardest to drink beer I've ever had from Boulevard. Now my decision is, finish drinking it or pour it down the drain.

2.6/5  rDev -34.8%

This is a negative review. As a regular beer consumer, home brewer and general beer nut I know ONE THING. Two 10%ers will not give me a hangover. UNLESS those two 10%ers are were loaded with too much or really terrible sugars to ferment.

As tasty and quaffable as this beer was, it is UNJUSTLY tormenting my skull this morning and I would like to just say THAT SUCKS!!!

Why am I not surprised. I got 4 strong beers for under $10. While this is sometimes a good deal (in MA), in this case it was not.

Crap quality underscores this deceptive beer. AVOID.

2.61/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Had this beer at the Amesbury Beer Festival on Sep 22 2012.

Most of the beers were served from bottles into small 3oz plastic pixie cups.

Although I took notes on the 20+ different beers that I tried, it is difficult to remember all of the details associated with each beer. My apologies to readers of these notes. However, I did pay attention to my overall scores, and noted what I thought were unique positives and negatives w/ each beer.

Note that for me:
< 2.5 = probably would not finish the beer
3.0 = drinkable beer, but likely would not buy again or look for
>3.5 = will try to buy again in the future

Love imperial stouts. But I'm not a fan of belgian beers, and the spice that it tends to add.

Bottle label is very cool. And the description is wonderful:
Belgian yeast provides a plum like fruitiness. with layers of espresso, roasted fig, reme brules, and spicy, herbal notes.

2.61/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Cork and Caged 750mL Bomber into a Chalice. Batch 2010-1, Best by of January, 2013.

Was on sale for $6, and I LOVE Boulevard Smokestack bottles, so I picked it up, first major let-down in the series.

A: Pretty dark, as things go. An absurd amount of head. Took 5 attempts at pouring to fill my 16oz snifter without overflow. Absurd.

S: Crisp with a ton of booze. Lots of licorice and something else ... nailpolish remover? Very odd smelling stout, and I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

T: Yup, I don't like it. The front and the back are smokey caramel and are quite salvageable. The central vein (which ultimately destroys the finish as well) is naked booze with a touch of cough-syrup, licorice and acetone.

F: Hella-thick, but massively over-carbonated.

D: Not for me. A rare fail for Boulevard. This was such a huge miss that I wasn't even sure what they set out to achieve.

2.66/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours a dark chocolate brown that appears black in the glass with a two finger, frothy beige head that very slowly fades into a lasting cap/ring. Sporadic streaks of lacing left behind.

Slightly smokey roasted malt aroma with a subtle earthy hop presence that counters the dark malt and chocolate. Hints of dark chocolate, toast, rye, oatmeal and some dark fruit.

Thinner bodied than expected, slightly watered down with soft carbonation up front and a deeply roasted malt character that provides a lingering bitterness. Hints of burnt toast, oatmeal, dark chocolate and coffee bean. There's also some rye sweetness along with some subtle dark fruit notes. The ABV is well masked but this beer is a bit one- dimensional and boring.

2.69/5  rDev -32.6%

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to kstrickler for this one! Best by 01/2013.

(A)- Pours a thick and pitch black color that produced a great tan colored fluffy head that stuck around for awhile. Plenty of lacing here and there.

(S)- Some light dry roasted characters. Woody. Raisin and molasses/cocoa. Hints of a peanut-like nuttiness.

(T)- It has a malty rich backbone. Bits of raisin, molasses, and cocoa with that same peanut-like aspect from the smell that is becoming a bit overpowering.

(M)- A good carbonation level. A good malty background with a mellow sweetness. That peanut-like nutty character is really annoying in this.

(D)- A good stout, but that peanut butter like creamy nut thing really throws off the flavor in my opinion.

2.7/5  rDev -32.3%

Appearance: black in color with 1/3 inch head, opaque, medium-high carbonation

Smell: roasted malt and Bosco

Taste: creamy start, burnt malt and dark coffee middle with black licorice, dark fruit, and small alcohol burn at the end

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, medium carbonation, bitter with slight sweetness

Overall: This one was a bit of a disappointment. It is my least favorite from Boulevard and probably the only one I would not buy again. This is not a bad beer, but not on the same level as the others in the Smokestack series. I do not think the flavors jump as much here as some of their other beers. Those who like stouts, this is worth a try, but is not my cup of tea.

2.74/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Jet black with rocky tan head that leaves spotty lacing throughout.

S: Expresso, tobacco and herbal aroma's.

T: Burnt coffee, dark molasses and hint spiced dark fruit carry on to a dry talc-like finish.

M: Medium bodied, but lacks any complexity due to its high astringency. I get the sensation that I just smoked a hot cheap cigar.

O: This beer shows more of its belgian yeast complexity and drinkability when it is consumed on the warmer side, but didn't impress me to say the least.

2.75/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev -30.8%

Picked up the 750 with caged cork. Really cool looking bottle. I have been decently impressed with Boulvard up to this point so I grabbed this bottle for a good price.

Batch 2010-1, Best by of January, 2013.

A: Really dark. A 3 finger head. Couldn't pour a 16 with out some crazy overflow with out being really careful. This was a.OK. with me.

S: It is rich with a medical alchol smell almost. I can smell the bourbon in it as well.

T: First impression was gross. I was really surprised. It is accually the carbonization and aftertaste that gets me. I really was not to excited after first taste. Their is a strong smoke flavor coming through on the ring of flavor. Caramel comes in light.

F: massively over-carbonated.

D: wouldn't go out of my way for another bottle, just not for me.

2.76/5  rDev -30.8%

2.8/5  rDev -29.8%

Too much boozy afterbreath. Nice mouth feel though.

2.88/5  rDev -27.8%

2.9/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours very dark brown, almost black with a massively foamy head. Huge globs of sticky lacing.

Aroma is musty charred dark grain and herbal hop.

Taste is similar to the nose with a burnt malt smokey bitterness. Coffee and sweet dark fruit make an appearance but seem overshadowed burnt quality. Finish holds more of the herbal hop from the nose and a lingering chocolate sweetness that doesn't quite work with the rest of the flavors.

Mouthfeel is light-medium in body. Unusually thin for a stout.

The Smokestack series has been great so far. However this offering was underwhelming. This stout was average, when I was expecting a really full and rich flavor.

2.91/5  rDev -27.1%

A - Deep dark brownish black with a giant fluffy tan head with a ton of retention. The lacing is fluffy as well. It really does look exceptional.

S - Roast and nail polish remover. That's it. Disappointing.

T - Huge amount of roast, ash and peat. Like, huge. Those flavor combos hit immediately, hang on the tongue and go long into the finish. This There is a fair amount of chocolate (most dark chocolate, which is adding some bitterness), honey, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon spice and leather.

M - viscous, great carbonation, a touch chalky but overall very satisfying.

O - This is a bold and beefy beer, but ultimately not quite my cup of tea.

2.92/5  rDev -26.8%

A= Pours a pitch black color with an enourmous head!!!! Possibly a gusher if I didn't pour right away. The head takes over the glass rising over 4 fingers. The heads color is a nice mocha color. The retention luckily isn't that great but it's still nice. The head dies down a little so I don't have to take a couple swigs of foam.

S= The smell is somewhat neutral. Sort of smell some typical stout smells but that may be just because I expect them. The smell isn't offensive so I can't say it's bad but it isn't really there.

T= Pretty basic taste to it. There is some chocolate roast and coffee flavors. The taste is not as intense as I'm use to. Really quite calm. There is a little bit of a grainy taste that isn't typical of most Impy stouts.

M= Over carbonated. Not the smoothest drink I've had for an Imperial stout.

D= What the hell? I'm pretty dissapointed. This is really a let down for the smokestack series. This was the most average tame stout I've ever tasted. A let down for sure.

2.93/5  rDev -26.6%

12 oz. bottle to a Kate the Great snifter. Best by 10/29/2011.

Appearance - Black with a sizeable head. Good retention and even some lacing. Decent looking stout.

Smell - Chocolate and a bunch of weird aromas. Different esters, presumably from the Belgian yeast. Fruits and even a lactose aroma. The aroma has depth, but not all of it is good.

Taste - There's an acidic component to this that persists throughout the entire flavor. I'd call it a bit of lactic sour, but I'm not really sure. It's not dominant, but definitely present. Chocolate is still the most dominant, but lots of weird flavors come through again. Strong coffee flavor and bitterness throughout. Yeasty byproducts that come off as fruit and somewhat unpleasant acids.

Mouthfeel - Bitter and slightly tangy. Faint, but unpleasant nonetheless. Perhaps it's a bad bottle, I don't know. Well carbonated.

Overall - Bad bottle? No idea. It's not that off for me to think infection, but there's a lot of off flavors. Maybe they're just from the yeast. Maybe I'll have this again and change my mind.

Dark Truth Imperial Stout from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.99 out of 5 with 2,591 ratings