Chocolate Ale | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Chocolate AleChocolate Ale

Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Availability: Spring

One of the brightest stars in a city filled with culinary treasures, Christopher Elbow has been handcrafting masterpieces in chocolate for more than ten years. In that time the reputation of his artistic delicacies has spread around the globe. Elbow’s sweets are distinguished by their use of unusual and sometimes surprising flavors and ingredients; in that adventurous spirit we joined forces to bring you a very special Chocolate Ale.

In developing this beer, Elbow and Boulevard brewmaster Steven Pauwels sought to harmonize the interplay of chocolate and malt, with each supporting and enhancing, but not overwhelming, the other. Just the right chocolate was essential. Elbow recommended a rare variety from the Dominican Republic, prized for its robust flavor and aroma, and a personal favorite. More than a mere flavoring, the chocolate — in the form of nibs, or crushed, roasted beans – was incorporated into the brewing process itself.

Added by HOPPYKC on 02-09-2011

Liked:
3.71/5
Alströms:

2.04/5  rDev -45%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- 3.5 Looks interesting, not what I was expecting. Orangy/brown in color, somewhat cloudy, not much of a head on this one.

Smell- 2 Not a fan. Small hints of cocoa but I cant name what this mostly smells like. Its just...odd.

Taste- 1.5 Again, I can't even pinpoint what the most prominent taste is here. An earthy sort of cocoa powder comes secondly maybe? No hops, no caramel or vanilla like the bottle claims just some sort of intense, bad taste. Did I get a bad batch? The strong ABV is what earned it the .5 only because I like that boozyness in most of my beers.

MF- 2.5 Medium to heavy body with a fizzy carbonation level.

Overall- 2 One of the most unique beers I have ever had but NOT in a good way. Very surprised/let down by this beer. First time boulevard has ever failed in my eyes. Maybe its just a fancy culinary move by Christopher Elbow that went over my head, maybe its just an awful beer. Either way I will NOT be rebuying this one OR recommending it. Pissed I spent $11 on this bottle.

EDIT- Turns out it was a bad batch and the company reimbursed me 100%! VERY VERY cool of them! I'd love to find this beer again and have the chance to give a review on a good batch

2.19/5  rDev -41%

Copper appearance. Almost a tart/sour smell to it. Zero chocolate flavor. I saw people raving about this and had to buy a bottle. Brewer commented via twitter that "it's not a chocolate bar". What about any chocolate at all? Rather persuaded to see if I can return this bottle for a refund after feeling rather cheated.

2014 vintage

2.3/5  rDev -38%

Not a fan. It just seems like the are trying to cover a poor base beer with some chocolate that doesn't really present itself in the bottle. The chocolate is more present on tap but still seems to miss the mark for me.

2.34/5  rDev -36.9%

Bomber, poured into a snifter at approximately 40 degrees F.

Appearance: This pours like some sort of amber ale, complete with massively frothy head.

Smell: Sugar and chocolate waft out of the glass, as if the contents were liquefied candy.

Taste: And the aroma lied. There's nothing sweet about this beer at all, and no taste of chocolate that I could detect. The entirety of the flavor profile was earth and wood, bringing to mind a pile of old pallets left to sink slowly into a rainy field. Spices were also along, a muddled jumble of white and black pepper with something like ginger along.

Mouthfeel: Medium of body, and otherwise unremarkable.

Overall: I truly dislike when a beer is billed as having a particular adjunct, and yet nothing of that adjunct can be found in the flavor. It feels like false advertising, even if said adjunct is actually in the beer. I'm also not a fan of expecting something sweet and getting hit in the tongue with a clod of wet, woody mud. Not a repeater.

2.44/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to IrishColonial for sharing this one the other night. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my CBS snifter. It poured reddish copper in color with a thin white lacing. Color was nice looking but not at all what I expected for a chocolate beer.

The aroma has a very strange green bean flavor to it. Some Belgian yeast spice is there and a hint of chocolate but the combination just comes off so vegetal like. I can't stop thinking of green beans every time I take a whiff.

The taste shows a little more chocolate to it with some cocoa lasting into the finish. The Belgian yeast gives it a bit of a earthy, spicy flavor. A little too much cocoa powder like though. It doesn't come together well at all for me.

The mouthfeel is thin with carbonation being high. Overall I didn't think this was a good beer at all and most of it got dumped in the sink. The green bean aroma was probably the strangest aroma I've ever encountered in a beer. It didn't taste as bad as it smelled, but it wasn't that great either.

* I didn't write down the batch number on the bottle but we looked it up before we opened it and it was not one of the reportedly infected batches they are offering refunds for.

2.48/5  rDev -33.2%

Appearance: brown-amber pour with a fizzy head

Smell: Not the delicious chocolate I was expecting, some artificial chocolate, vanilla, bread and toffee

Taste: toasted bread, brown sugar, caramel, hint of fake chocolate

Mouthfeel: thin, over-carbonated

Overall: I was very disapointed in this one. Tastes fake and one dimensional.

2.54/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Aged one year. Not good.

2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

Well, I've loved all the other Smokestack brews from Boulevard, but this one I couldn't finish.

Pours a murky, dark copper with a very large head..about 5 fingers. Just billowed up with white froth. Lacing was nice.

Aroma is chocolate forward with vanilla and some earthiness. That's about it, really. It's not bad and really backs up the name. But it seems basic, not very complex.

Yeah, taste is the same. Very faint earthiness up front and in the middle, with a chocolate finish. Yet the chocolate doesn't seem rich or smooth. Stale comes to mind. Vanilla provides some sweetness, but it's a bit much. Hops don't seem to be around. The chocolate is intruding and not all that good.

Thin, could use something else. Perhaps a stout version would be better. I don't know. This one didn't sit well with me.

2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

Chocolate ale? I was highly anticipating this one. I caught maybe a hint of chocolate in the nose. But I did not get any in the taste. Not sure what they were going for on this, but if I set aside my expectations for chocolate it was not a bad beer otherwise. I do not plan on getting this one again.

Chocolate Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 58.8% out of 100 with 964 ratings