Love Child No. 2 | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Love Child No. 2Love Child No. 2

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Boulevard's Love Child Series of "wild" ales are barrel-aged with such boisterous cultures as Lactobaccillus and Brettanomyces. These wayward offspring can prove so complex that we employ gauges on the label to convey the intensity of three key personality traits, Funk, Sour, and Fruit, presenting a picture of the ale at the time it was released. It will change as it ages, but don't we all?

Sour characteristics come to the fore in this release, foreshadowed by the tart, winey aroma. Notes of cherry, chocolate, olive brine, and leather give way to a subtle hint of funk and a dry, clean finish.

Added by AmericanGothic on 06-10-2012

4.1

Reviews: 87 | Ratings: 395
3.77/5  rDev -8%

For a while, I was wondering if I was loving every smokestack beer just because it came from my hometown heroes.

Well, I suppose you can't hit a home run every time.

This wasn't a cheap beer. ($17 a bottle was the lowest I ever spotted) For good reason. It was created with blended beers as old as four years and they didn't release a lot of bottles (although I never heard the specific count.)

I uncorked it (750ml) and poured it into a tulip.

Now maybe it's because I haven't had much exposure with sour beers, but I was relieved to read others say that the flavor direction of this beer seems to be lacking a compass. I must agree emphatically with that observation.

Aside from a bit of barrel aging and sour, it felt like a psychedelic hodgepodge of flavors. You know how you ask a person their opinion about something and they say, "It's interesting." and then you know damn well they were a little let down? Yeah, that was me.

The mouthfeel in particular felt like, I kid you not, flat soda?

I don't want to rag on this brew too much because there were a lot of other things I did enjoy. The smell was great, the appearance handsome in color. But the taste didn't have me running back to the store when I was told they had more in stock.

Let's try that Saison-Brett from Boulevard instead and see what that holds...

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

thanks to egrace84 for sharing this bottle of beer! Thanks elliot!

poured into tulip.

reviewed from notes taken 7/17/12.

Appearance: Golden yellow bodied beer with a small cap of off-white head. Drops to no head.

Smell: Tart, vinegar, oak, and red fruits.

Taste: tart lemons and cherries. vinegar is moderate. Oaky and rathy notes. Finishes with a mellow lingering tartness.

Mouthfeel: light end of medium bodied beer with low to moderate carbonation. Clean, crisp carbonation. Nice level of sour in this beer that is really approachable!

Overall: I really love the boulevard smokestack beers for the quality and decent price point. This beer is no exception! Dont pass a bottle of this beer up if you are yet to try it!

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

Short lived head. Murky light red body. Small collar.

Sour vinegary goodness. Yea.

Perfect tartness that makes this nice and drinkable. Slight bourbon barrel characteristic.

Medium mouthfeel, perfect carbonation.

Very pleasant sour here. Would be a good introductory but could please beer geeks alike. Thanks egrace84!

3.67/5  rDev -10.5%

Hazy and dull reddish brown hue with active carbonation.

Smells of tar cherries, oak, and lemon balm.

Very tart flavor with the same notes from the smell, but the vinegar is a bit much.

Sparkling mouthfeel that's heavy on the carbonation and sharp with the vinegar.

A decent wild ale, but the $20 price tag is absurd.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours light brown with some reddish hue with a finger of white head dissipating and clinging nicely to the sides.

First whiff is cherry tartness followed by some wood with some light bourbon.

A little cherry upfront in the flavor although not as strong as in the nose. Bourbon with a malty sweetness comes through on the finish with a little wood and vanilla.

Medium bodied. Good carbonation.

Pretty good beer, but let this one warm up. While cold, the bourbon clashed horribly with the base beer, but as it warmed, the flavors melded better and I enjoyed the subtle bourbon. The warmer it got, the better it tasted. I'm hoping this one ages well as I have 2 more bottles in the cellar.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Review #400
Batch: 2012-1 / Best by: 03-2014

Creamy, tan, loose, foamy head pours out. Brew looks like iced tea; deep brown with lots of purples and some reds.

Smooth malty goodness; nothing overwhelming. Vanilla and bourbon are noticeable. Not fruity, just as described.

More funk then the label gives credit to. Slight tartness, but not in a lemon or vinegar way. Very nicely done. Raisin, grape, vanilla, and red apple all stand out. Heavy carbonation, but it helps with the style, it brings out a lot of tartness. Wet and heavy. A little bit like sour Iced Tea would be.

Whoa. What a PIMA Love Child was to locate! Love Child totally caught me off-guard; very unique and stylish. A fun, crafty, experiment from Boulevard. Keep the sours coming, but in greater quantity. Recommended, if you can find it...

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

A: Poured a deep ruddy deep red color with good carbonation leaving a dirty white cap

S: A load of vinegar, some funk, red cherries, wood and Earthiness. The booze and acidicty stings the nostrils.

T: Immediate cherry tartness, dry, some vinegar and lighter bourbon. The wood and Earthiness really shine about mid sip. Very acidic and stinging on the palate.

M: Medium body, good carbonation. Lots of tartness, acid on the palate, bourbon and cherries sit.

O: Good, not exactly sure what the scream is about.

1.84/5  rDev -55.1%

Comes out a rich, light browny orange color. Very dense looking, not the darkest color, but very opaque. The head is fleeting and non-descript leaving nothing but a white ring around the edge.

Smells like a kriek. Very vinegar-like, too much for my liking. The tartness comes through even in the nose. I'm already scared.

Tastes like the krieks I've come to hate. Medicinal, acetone, malty, with some dark fruits. But mostly vinegar.

I hate these. Nothing really comes through but the sour tartness. It's tangy and medium to full bodied, but doesn't feel like anything I want in my mouth again.

It's a style I'll never grow to like or appreciate. I've tried and I just don't like it. Would consider aging a bottle, but not at $20 a pop. Hardly drinkable at all.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Off with the cage, off with the cork, poured into my Boulevard Smokestack glass.

Deep amber gold, with hints of ruby. Some bits of sediment and a layer of 1/4" tannish head give the beer a good look in the glass.

It almost has a wine tannin characteristic on the nose - grapes and oak. To me, it's like inhaling a light cabernet, but soured just a bit.

Fruits, some vinegar, the woodsiness of an oaken barrel liked you'd find in wine, but much more "snap" on the tongue than a wine. Just a bit of pepper to close. The funk isn't as defined as I'd assumed - it's there, just not as prevalent as what's found in their Saison-Brett.

Simply carbonated, allowing the rest of the beer to stand up for itself, supplying only a hint of support.

While this may not be my ideal style, this is a wonderful cacophony of flavors and sensations. Really unique - not nearly as beery as I'd expected though. Though I've never had a sour like this, for me, it's much more along the lines of a wine.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch#1 pours an effervescent crimson/caral with slight hazing & 2+ fingers of cream colored head. Hazes a bit, above average head retention & lacing

S: Sourness, raspberries, fades a bit once warm

T: Tartness & sour cherry, raspberry, lemons & wheatyness up front. Sourness from the Bourbon barrels come through loud & clear as this warms with a slight vinagrette twang. Finishes tart with raspberry, grapefruit & lemon zest, plenty dry too with sourwood honey notes

MF: Medium bodied, fairly firm carbonation, acidic

Easy to drink, would love to hold & age some of this, but at $17.50 a bottle, I think not. Still a great beer. May not be funky enough for many, but this worked for me...

4.14/5  rDev +1%

Love Child No. 2:

Hazy, brown with orange to amber highlights. Looks like its been sitting in a barrel for a long time.  Not the prettiest to look at, but i suppose that come swith the style. Very little yellowy head, small bubbles.

Acidic brightness in the nose. Some lemon, vinegar, some caramelized sugar creeps in. A dusty, leathery edge.

Very sour up front. Going to have to ease into this, maybe let it warm up to pull out some flavors. Lactic kick, strong lemon like sourness. Initially reminds me of Warheads candy without as much sweetness on the back end. A very musty, leathery taste to the back end. Some sour apple, brine, a little damp tree bark. Some crazy stuff going on, but the sourness does make it hard for this palate to pull a lot of outside flavors from it.

Carbonation is medium. Light to medium mouthfeel, insanely dry which I like.

A very intense drinking experience, definitely interesting. I've been on the fence with sours, but this is a fine version.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to my boy John-Ross for snaggin a few bottles for me.

Poured a murky burnt orange with with some fizzy white head. Quickly succumbed to the murky depths that is Love Child.

The nose is off the charts! Tart cherries and lemon, slightly woody, funky, acidic and it fades off with a very subtle caramel and bourbon finish. I was really hoping it would have a more pronounced bourbon nose, but this will do.

The taste is phenomenal! Sour cherries, lemon sourness, a touch of orange citrus... all encapsulated by some serious funk! As I roll it around in my mouth the upfront sourness fades into a sweet almost cherry pie like taste. The woody characteristics take over and I get the touch of bourbon on the back end as I finish my taste. Absolutely delicious!

The mouthfeel is top notch. Medium bodied with the perfect amount of carbonation. The combination of the sour cherries/lemons and the barrel characteristics make this an almost puckering dry finish. The best part of this beer is that the sourness lingers for days on end! I want it to keep lasting but the dry finish makes me want to drown it out with another taste. It truly is a vicious cycle...

Overall, this beer is out of bounds! So glad I have more. I was thinking about trading this one but I might just have to enjoy the rest. Definitely worth the price tag in my opinion. Cheers!

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy caramel with a reddish hue and a 3/4 thumbs width beige head. A sweet and tart aroma with some sweet fruits, particularly big on strawberry, alongside some slight barrel. Sweet and sour sums the flavor up quite well; fruity with a nice dose of strawberry and apple along with some vinegar. There isn't much barrel influence here, though as it warms some influence does start to show. A very crisp, active creamy thin to medium bodied that suits the beer just about perfectly. Overall, Boulevard's beers generally disappoint me but not this one. This one is wonderful and one of the best wilde ales I have yet to try. Great stuff.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

It's been awhile....750 ml poured into a ccb snifter lookin a deep murky amber with some highlights 1/2 finger of off white head. The nose is sour up front with a very subtle bourbon & caramel sweetness in the back with a touch of sour cherries. A little Brett in the nose as well not a lot. The taste is sour but not overbearing lacks the fruit but cherries are there and again you get the barrel characteristics especially as it warms. Very subtle bourbon in the back minimal heat just before the sour ending. Roll it around and you get some more cherries, finishes with oak dryness and tartness. The mouthfeel, is one of a kind and is something I've never had from wild ale which is so creamy and pleasant. This is a brew that I would recommend to any wild ale lover, the complexities and layers are there but are subtle and need to be searched for, longer barrel aging is what I would recommend or less cleaning or the barrel prior to aging, leave a little bourbon if you know what I mean. Top notch brew and the smokestack comes through again. Must seek.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Love Child No. 2 opens with a bright, lemon-citrus aroma, tinged with touches of funky fermented apple cider sourness, yeasty baguette, marble rye bread, and pepper. Deep beneath is a good bed of sweet brown sugars, orange and white grape fruit esters, and vanilla cola, but this is difficult to locate against the sour funk. Light touches of wood filter through, but there is nowhere near the heavy bourbon aromas noted in many barrel-aged brews. As a whole, the nose is certainly intriguing, but the sour funk takes a bit of getting used to, and is certainly an initial shock. However, the aromas as a whole are very potent, and even nicely nuanced, once the nose becomes accustomed.

On the tongue, the beer is immediately sour and funky, the initial mouthful tasting very much like apple cider left out slightly too long on a hot table and so partially fermented, cut with apple cider vinegar. I suspect there are people who, because of this initial blast, will assume the beer has gone bad. Get past that perception, however, and there are additional layers of flavor, including strong lemon and lime, baguette, toast crust, and touches of orange and berry, as well as light brown sugars and vanilla, and shades of merlot wine. Admittedly, these secondary characteristics are hard to find, since the initial sour, funky notes take up a good 90% of the flavor profile, and similarly dominate the aftertaste, which lingers for a long time. Mouthfeel is medium, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is certainly one of the more unique beers on the market, and has been crafted by someone who is not only an excellent brewer, but also apparently rather sadistic--like the kid in high school who took pleasure in getting unsuspecting girls to eat sour blast candies. This is not a negative criticism, however, because the result is a beer that is incredibly flavorful, and if you can take it, quite delicious.

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Wowcoolman for sharing this one at NoSignsOfPain's birthday bottleshare hosted by mrbubbler.

Batch 2012-1. Best by 3/2014.

Pours a murky honey orange with a foamy tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour, tart, and funky with some woody aromas as well. Taste is very much the same with a woody aftertaste with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good sour that is tasty and super drinkable.

4.54/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from bottle to a Boulevard Smokestack tulip. 2012 Batch #2 (best by 3/2014). A lot of buzz on the internet is that the flavor profile is ready 'now' on this beer, so I'm not going to try cellaring. At $19+ a pop, only buying one!

A: Chestnut with hints of ruby, cloudy with a foamy tan head. Not super in the lacing category.

S: Off the charts aroma. Sour cherries, grasses, musty hay, oak chunks, and bourbon.

T: OK, so this is what a true sour beer tastes like! Lots of sour cherry, lemon, and orange up front, and it also lingers. Funky brett comes through with a peppery kick of bourbon on the back end. A bit of a lemon chaser on the end. Oak chunks start to linger back on the throat about 5 minutes in. Complex.

M: Fairly thick beer. There is definitely a pucker factor that the novice sour beer drinker notices up front, but it doesn't turn me away from this beer.

O: Expensive, but excellent. I would probably buy more Smokestack limited releases at this price point, because I could actually find a bottle of this one.

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%

Believe it or not, the local Price Chopper had this beer in stock, albeit for just a few pennies less than $19 a bottle. I tried it and here's my thoughts....batch 2012-2, 03-20I4

A Poured forcefully into a tulip glass. Nice head, with lace remaining. Reddish-amber in color.

S This beer's nose is incredible. Fruity (lemon and cherry) beyond belief. I sniffed for 5 minutes. The wife thought I'd lost my mind. The brett funkiness is awesome.

T Tastes fairly sour upon first sip, then the taste begins to grow and the sweetness comes out. Second sip, the sour graduates and it begins to get sweet. Let it sit on your palate for a few more seconds and then take another sip. It gets sweeter and sweeter, just like a cherry pie.

M Lightly carbonated, not fizzy at all.

O One of the best beers I've had in quite a while. I had a couple of bottles of Boulevard's Brett Saison and they were good quality, but this one's better. Boulevard, you've outpaced yourself. Dump the Chocolate ale and produce this one year-round.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

I scored this bottle for $20 at a local liquor store where I am a "preferred" customer. Then, two weeks later, I score another bottle at this shitty little grocery down the way for $12...wtf? Anyway, I am excited to try this out, as it is a limited release and won't be back around again. Poured aggressively from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a a burgundy/brownish color with a pithy little head on it that leaves good lacing, despite its' relative small size. Bubble action can be clearly observed inside glass.

Smell - This is where the funkiness of this brew begins to dawn on you. Sour fruits, cherries, and a little bourbon. I thought it smelled somewhat similar to a funky tripel or quad, like one of those with sour fruits added to it. Like nothing else I've ever smelled.

Taste - You get the sour notes as soon as the liquid hits your lips. It's like a sour cherry is being rubbed all over your mouth. More sour fruits are present in the drink, along with a hint of bourbon and some funky brett flavors. Very complex

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated, a little on the thin side. Finished sour.

Overall - Certainly not for the inexperienced palate. I gave some to my wife, who thought it was the shittiest beer she ever drank. It is certainly unique, do not go into it expecting anything like you've ever tasted if you are not a dedicated sour beer drinker. I've never had too much like it. I would highly recommend you try it, and don't spend $20 on the first run. Get it for $12 at the grocery.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Pours a reddish brown with two finger head that fades rather quickly. Nice lacing is left clinging to the sides of the glass.

S - Smells of tart, ripe cherries with a bit of the brett funky smell.

T - Starts out with a musty cherry flavor. Picking up just a slight hint of bourbon. Some raspberry flavor in there as well.

M - Medium body, good carbonation. Medium tartness leaves your mouth lingering for another sour sip.

O - Excellent wild ale with decent amount of sour puckering goodness. Pick up a bottle to share if you can.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

#BOTG 77! A new limited release from Boulevard, I have loved all the smokestack series beers, really looking forward to this one. Corked and caged bottle, $20 for 750ml. Popped cork, poured into 512 Anniversary glass. A cloudy raspberry brown cloudy pour, a little bit of creamy head on top. Not much, maybe 1/2 a finger. Smell- musty sour cherries, cherry pie filling, strawberry, honey, little barnyard mustyness. My tasting buddy said "like I'm riding a horse through a field of strawberries". I like that, pretty accurate. Peach syrup, apricot as well. This is super fruity on the nose, just a lot going on. Taste- Sour cherries, pie filling, super sour on the sides of my mouth. I get absolutely no bourbon barrel, which surprises me. The sour turns almost salty on the end. Strawberry syrup, tight carbonation makes for a dry finish. It's got some sour patch kid candy taste to it as well. tart, sour cherry. A little buttery finish to the cherry. This one is funky, sour, and pretty well balanced. The fruit element makes it really enjoyable. Way better than I expected, and I'm really glad to have grabbed this one. If you can get some Houston, get it. Good stuff.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a reddish brown, more red than brown. Nose has bourbon, funk, sour lemon notes. Taste is sour lemon upfront that moves to some fruity wine notes. Ends with a splash of bourbon that is overwhelmed by more sour. Pretty solid sour overall - nice balance between sour and drinkability. Another winner from boulevard.

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%

Good pop on the cork. poured into CS Cellar Reserve 2012 wine glass. Wanted to try this before buying more to see how many I need. Batch 2012-1

A - An aggressive pour reveals a loose 1/2 finger of beige head with some slight red in it. Body is very cloudy and a deep orange/brown. Beautiful light lacing.

S - A light tart of lemon/lime with slight rind. Also good raspberry and red wine. Really quite nice.

T - A lot of funk. Like lime rind. Some moderate acidity. I would say the gauge on the back is wrong in the funk category. Again that red wine flavor. Lemon.

M - Solid carbonation and medium body. Very drying. A little puckering.

O - Hard to say. It would be nice to see this a little more balanced. The funk just overpowers a little. Everything else is good. I was not expecting the red wine. Maybe some time on this will do it good? I don't know, but a couple more bottles can't hurt.

Very excited to try this beer.

The beer pours a hazy amber color with a white head. The aroma has a lot of tart dark fruit, as well as some nice cherry notes which are complimented by some brett funk and some oak from the barrel aging. The flavor is a little more complex. I get quite a bit of tobacco and leather, as well as some cherry and dark fruit notes, as well as some caramel and toffee. The sourness is low to medium, but really adds a lot to the beer. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. A nice sour, glad I got to try it.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Poured out a clear, burgundy color with a thick, tan head of foam. It left thin rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of sour, tart black cherries. There was some caramel sweetness in the nose.

T - Tart and sour with dark cherry notes. Some funkiness and yeastiness with some sweet caramel flavors.

M - It was crisp and sharp with a slight pucker quality. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is a very tasty beer. I'm glad to finally try some sour beers from Boulevard.

Love Child No. 2 from Boulevard Brewing Co.