Grainstorm Black Rye IPA | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Grainstorm Black Rye IPAGrainstorm Black Rye IPA

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Black Ale

Just when you thought it was safe to come out of the root cellar, along comes Grainstorm, a big, wet wallop to the senses. In the glass, dark and turbulent clouds gather. A high-pressure system of pungent hops collides with a stationary front of barley, wheat, and rye. The forecast: a veritable monsoon of flavor, with surges of roasty malt, microbursts of hops, and a chance of golfball-sized hail. The extended outlook calls for unseasonably pleasant enjoyment.

Added by Groenebeor on 12-06-2012

2.32/5  rDev -42.7%

2.53/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured dark brown with a nice tan cap, some moderate lacing present as was a nice tan collar after a few moments of settling and sipping

S: Very faint and unimpressive for this style. Muted citrus and roast.

T: This beer just seemed off from the first sip. Muted flavors of roast, coffee and chocolate with citrus and pine and thats a stretch. There is something unpleasant lurking in the background, like a gassy, bubbly like taste/feel, a young beer perhaps not fermented completely

M: Medium bodied and uncomfortable, off, gassy, had me belching, it tasted and felt young. flavors were mute, carbonation was a miss

O: My first quality issue I have experienced with a Smokestack series beer. I did not finish, just passed it around the bar and let the uneducated palates delight in their ignorant bliss.

2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

2.97/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Very nice tan, foamy, lasting head. Weak lacing.. Brew is deep black.

Has a funky weird roasted hop nose... Could use improvement.

Thin, smooth, roasty, bready, chalky, foamy, slightly bitter but not overly, high carbonation, no heat, not sweet... Rye is a bit overwhelming.

An easy drinker, yet I've had better Black IPAs, but this is a nice transitional BIPA for a new comer to IPAs... Recommended for an easy price of ~$10/750ml

I may need to preface this review with the acknowledgement that I may have bought a bad bottle; however my overall impression of this beer was very disappointing (especially after reading others' reviews).

The beer poured dark brown, wonderful head with great lacing. Great color and head retention, but then comes the tasting. Malty, malty, malty. It tasted like someone liquefied a loaf of dark rye bread and coffee grounds, and poured it into a glass. Now with a name like "Grainstorm" I guess this should be expected; however, because the beer is quoted to have 65 IBU, I awaited the hops in balancing the beer out. The hops never shown through. Any bitterness at all was simply bitter on the tongue similar to a mug of cheap coffee, with no perceivable hops flavor or aroma.

Overall, this is not a bad beer, but not a good one and very unexpected coming from Boulevard. With some balance it could have been fantastic. I will purchase again and update review if I just happened to buy a bad bottle.

3.01/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: dark brown in color, clear, 1 inch head, high carbonation

Smell: roasted malt and citrus hops

Taste: coffee grounds, char, citrus and earthly hops, light rye bread

Mouthfeel: medium-high body, medium-high carbonation, sweet start that becomes bitter and dry

Overall: I love Boulevard and the style, but this one just did not do it for me. The char is heavy on this one and sometimes the rye added a slightly medicinal quality to it. Not a horrible beer by any stretch but there are several others in the style I would go to first. This one was a miss for me.

3.2/5  rDev -21%

3.21/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to Justin (OKComputer) for this one. Caged and corked 750 poured into full goblet. Bottle code 2012-3, best by 8/13. Poured a solid black color, no translucence, with well over an inch of tan head that had very good retention and moderate lacing.

The aroma was fairly neutral, some light Rye, and very low hops. On the tongue, the Rye was a bit brighter and sharper, especially on the finish. The floral and citrus hops played a very subdued role.

The body was the typical medium of the style. Drinkability was pretty good, we didn't struggle in the least with the bottle. Overall, a nice pleasant CDA, not among the elite of the style, but worth a shot if you see it.

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A- Pours a very dark chocolate with a monstrous fluffy khaki colored head that hangs and hangs and hangs around. Wonderful looking beer.

S - Not as much aroma has I had anticated from the looks of the beer. Even so, there were stll plenty of smells to the beer. I caught pine right off the bat. There is definately an eathy overtone to the beer as well.

T - Much different than anything I am used to. I am not sure it agrees with my palate. I defiantely tasted pine and maybe some light roasted malts. It has a very astringant taste to me. Maybe from the rye.

M - Medium to heavy body beer.It has a very dry, astringant feel in the mouth

O - I dont want to give anyone a bad impression of this beer. It may just not be my style. The beer was quite complex in taste although the smells were a tad bit faint. I'll need to buy a couple more black rye IPAs to compare this one to and maybe review again.

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

Grainstorm Black Rye IPA from Boulevard Brewing Co.