Love Child No. 3 | Boulevard Brewing Co.

Love Child No. 3Love Child No. 3
4.26/5
Love Child No. 3Love Child No. 3

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
boulevard.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Oak barrels were used to age the majority of beer used for Love Child No. 3—with beer aged from 16 months to nearly six years. Another portion of the beer spent 11 months in stainless tanks, souring on Lactobacillus. While very tart, the sourness is short-lived and the beer finishes dry with a trace of oak.

Added by MickeyD on 04-26-2013

1.75/5  rDev -58.9%

2.48/5  rDev -41.8%

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

3.02/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very deep orange color with a good sized off white head. The head does linger, leaving some nice lacing.

This is probably the strangest smell yet from any beer I have tried. Best way I can describe it is funky, as I cannot really pick out any individual scents.

Very tart, tastes more like a hard lemonade to me. Can't really pick out any other flavors, the tartness is pretty overwhelming.

Actually has a decent mouthfeel, fairly smooth.

I have very little experience with this style of beer. It is different, but I think the sourness should be pushed back a bit. I really can't pick out the complexities other reviewers have found, it reminds me a bit of eating a piece of extra sour candy. I think this style is a matter of personal taste, and not really finding it to my liking.

3.04/5  rDev -28.6%

Consumed at the sour tasting that I organized with friends. Split with many people. Thanks for the bottle, Ken! Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.

Pours an amber tinged orange color that is also extremely cloudy and murky in appearance. Pours an off white head that pathetically fizzles into pretty much nothing, but keeps surprisingly a bit of lacing in its dissipation. Very viscous - I'm anticipating a booze bomb of sorts based on the look of it. Big alcohol legs, and almost wine like in presentation if it weren't for the color. Not a bad look - but definitely really bent out of shape for a wild ale.

Doesn't smell too bad - although there's definitely a lack of complexity at stake here. Notes of dried raisins, apricots, and melons combine with a sharp funky aroma that is loaded with Pedi and Lacto bacterial strains, which produce an array of strange and foreign aromas - cheese rind, musty lemons, dried cherries, and a lactic sweetness that melds with the oak and what I presume to believe bourbon barrels. Slight sweetness from the malts at hand, as well as a toffee/caramel combo that is present yet subdued underneath all of the lactic acid. Definitely aromatic and sharp, but not too complex and a little too boozy.

I nearly gagged after the first sip - notes of medicinal vitamins and vomit all of the way. Truly terrible stuff at first, and I was really afraid to take another sip for a few minutes. Somehow, perhaps due to increasing inebriation or wanting to please my host, I took another sip to find that the vomit notes completely vanished. Nevertheless, this is a bit disjointed and I feel that the bacterial strains have completely taken over what probably made this more delightful (although recent reviews seem to prove otherwise, so maybe it's just me). Nevertheless, it is an extremely hefty sour, consisting of big raisins, funky apricots, and musty melons, with vegetal notes of squash and green pepper. The oak brings forth an almond-like nuttiness on top of extreme baking soda and charred cinnamon. The bacterial sourness coats these flavors and breed a lactic and green apple acetic flavor that is both interesting and yet slightly oppressive. The mouthfeel is top notch for the beer of this caliber and strength - creamy, thick, and sludgy. Everything else is extremely questionable, as far as a $18 bottle of beer goes.

Wasn't a big fan of this and I honestly think that the bottle we had was slightly infected. Nevertheless, I respectfully finished it and other people seemed to enjoy it overall. I do think that after the sour tasting that this was the beer that did not sit well with me, as I had horrible gagging and stomach aches, but at least I had the opportunity to try it. Never again, however.

3.39/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a cloudy amber with an ephemeral head. No lace. Light bubbles.

S - Mild intensity. Vinegar, ambiguous berries, bourbon oak, lacto, mild bready malt.

T - follows the aroma, but not in a pleasant way.

M - medium body. Acetic and mildly boozy finish.

O - I like sour ales quite a bit, but didn't like this one much. Lacks complexity and refinement, lacks flavor beyond just being a slightly fruity and vinegary sour with notes of bourbon. The finish is a tad rough. The bourbon barrel doesn't compliment the base beer. It's not terrible, but it isn't something I want to drink again.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Love Child No. 3 from Boulevard Brewing Co.