Mississippi Mocha Coffee Stout | Blue Cat Brew Pub

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

4.04/5  rDev +8%

2.9/5  rDev -22.5%

Presentation: On tap, 16oz pint glass

Appearance: Black beer, nearly opaque with a tan creamy head that settles down quickly but leaves a nice thick film nearly to the end

Smell: FRESH roasted coffee, a touch of dark chocolate as well...simple, fresh, good

Taste: Damn...this was a bit of a letdown. Medium-roasted coffee with a LOT of sugar added...the basic flavor is good, but way too sweet; it's like coffee the way I drank it when I was a kid, with about 6 sugar packets dumped in

Mouthfeel: Definitely a bit overcarbonated; this is prickly and almost fizzy, not right for the style

Drinkability: Medium-low...one was enough

Conclusion: I love this brew-pub and I'd heard amazing things about this beer from my fiancee (who generally has pretty good beer judgment) so I'm wondering if I got an off-batch...at any rate, the aromas and appearance were quite nice, but the over-the-top sweetness and mouthfeel issues brought this one way down.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%