Coffee & Cakes | Hubbard's Cave Brewery

#851 ranked American Imperial Stout | 12.50% ABV

Hubbard's Cave Brewery
Illinois, United States
uneannee.com

Notes: Rotating availibility. First batch of Imperial Stout with Coffee and Maple Syrup.
Outstanding
Coffee & CakesCoffee & Cakes
Reviews: 22 | Ratings: 69

Poured into a Fremont small snifter. Pours a very dark mahogany brown, appearing opaque black in the glass with a quarter finger, brown head that dissipates to patches with light lacing. Aroma of dark toasted malt, dry caramel, coffee, chocolate and a little maple syrup. Flavor is dark toasted malt with light char, latte coffee, vanilla, baker's chocolate and maple syrup. Medium bodied with light creaminess. Oh, that kind of 'cakes! I think they nailed it, this tastes like a bite of pancakes with maple syrup with a creamy coffee chaser. A little on the sweet side, but fine for me and actually not as cloying as maple syrup. I don't drink beer at breakfast, but this would be a perfect side to a big breakfast. The maple is a major component, but does not dominate. I liked this as a dessert beer, well done.

4.42/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It's a good sweet stout. Not much for head and a little too sweet. Smoking a cigar with it cut down some of the sweetness and makes it very enjoyable. Second half of the 16oz can was better as it warmed up. The sweetness goes down and the coffee comes out more as it warms up

4.88/5  rDev +17%

Euphoric!! Thick and rich Coffee and maple syrup perfection...high % makes a big difference in flavor body...Best breakfast in a glass out there...may Hubbard’s Cave/Une Annee brew it ever more!!

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

Are you kidding me? With this beer, really? This beer!?!!
Do you really want me to talk about this beer and tell you as a Vermonter who loves maple syrup that the balance is absolutely incredible! Yes, I poured this into a snifter and thoroughly enjoyed it's full dark black jet pour color in the glass. What an absolutely stellar filmy lace tried to stick to the glass but slid with the sips.
An aroma of sweet maple syrup encompasses vanilla cake, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, sweet wood/oak, sweet wafer/biscuit hints and some animal crackers. Then there's an absolutely lovely flavor of sweet maple.syrup flowing into a blend of dark and milk chocolate layers. Vanilla wafery cake runs about. Then a big maple syrup to blended chocolatey aftertaste, semi-sticky. About medium bodied, this beer takes the sipper side of the wheelhouse to make sure a fairly low key carbonation is met. Then a suspected ABV by the brewer seems about what is projected. Very nice finish of vanilla cake/wafer leads into maple syrup and a sly grind of coffee bean which helped this from becoming cloying (there is a stickiness I seem to pick up on). Only thing I would change is possibly more coffee bean or possibly some oatmeal to help bring down the stickiness in the feel, of course, I'd still have again.

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Taste: complex, rich sweet maple, coffee, dark toasted malt, bourbon warming mouth-feel. Maple syrup and coffee nose. Black/brown, mostly opaque, tan head and delicate lace. Full body. Intense, some acidic bite as it warmed, boozy.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

huge beer, coffee and maple, i am surprised it doesnt have higher ratings here, i thought they did a great job with it, my first beer from these guys, who have all of a sudden popped up around denver. this is obsidian black with a similar shine and a frothing dark brown head almost an inch high with great retention, lively for its size, but plenty viscous too, long legs on the edges of the glass when i give it a twirl. it smells heavy, big roasty dark grain with some maple and molasses sweetness obvious, sticky and rich to me right away, and with a really robust coffee profile, concentrated drip, black as night, bit high quality and fresh. the flavor is coffee first and maple second, they intersect right in the middle, but seem somewhat separate other than that, with the dark malts and all that grain intensity mostly up front, and then this long sweet drawn out back half where the maple is almost over the top, it literally takes on the texture of good maple syrup, which i like, but it coats the teeth and tongue and does drink pretty heavy even without the booze being too prominent for its strength. the coffee and maple are both strong in this, but they are natural and delicious, and i appreciate the bold dark nature of this one, subtle burnt coffee and smoke to help balance all the maple sweet at the end, tons of body, smooth though too. really tasty beer that is a great introduction to this brewery for me. i will be quick to jump on the next beer i see from them! i tasted this for an hour after i was finished with it...

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Beer Temple. Very smooth, highly drinkable stout. Exactly what I was looking for at 11am, lol. Nice coffee on the nose and palate. Where it really shines was with maple. Maple Bomb! Wish I could have found some to take home.

4.59/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at the brewery. Pours a very dark brown with a slight tan head.
Aroma is coffee, chocolate, maple and a hint of vanilla.
Taste is coffee and dark chocolate forward. Maple syrup an vanilla in the back end.
Super smooth. Nice balance of roast coffee and sweetness.
Excellent coffee stout.

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Hunting down some Marz Funnel Cake at Maria's packaged goods I got to try this on draft. Watching the thick jet black pour got me quite excited. First smell and I was hooked. The coffee is deep and perfect. A little boozy too! Hurrah! Some notes of the maple followed. First to last sip were incredible. Excellent heavy and creamy body. Lasting thickness on the lips for a long time after finishing. Bottles were soon hunted down and were definitely on par with the draft (Would maybe rate .25 lower for a bottle). Excellent buy if you can find it 2018-3 bottles.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: Dark, medium thick, fizzy tan head
S: coffee and maple, very nice.
T: coffee on the nose, and then pure maple - probably a little overly sweet, especially through the finish
F: medium thick, goes down fairly easy, sweetness becomes a little cloying eventually
O: Pretty good beer. I was hoping this would be a more easily obtainable version of Smells Like Bean Spirit, but they just don't have the maple and coffee dialed in right on this one. Too much maple, and the maple is a little artificial tasting too. Worth a try, but I don't think I'll buy it again.

4.64/5  rDev +11.3%

2018-2 batch, outrageously delicious, great blend of maple and coffee, thick luscious mouthfeel, full flavor. Very drinkable for a 12% imperial stout.

Easily the best non-BA maple stout I have ever had.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Last time I had this, it was a sample amongst some outstanding brews and thought it was decent enough to get after a bottle to try/drink again. Thanks Kirb for the share.

750ml bottle into a snifter appears black in color with a brown head that fades leaving stringy to patchy lace.

Nose is rich with coffee and maple leading to roasty and earthy almost acrid char aspects. Quite enjoyable smelling.

Taste is sweet maple, rich coffee with slight roast and alcohol presence. Overall a bold coffee/maple sweet concoction with enough roasty underlayer to provide the stout experience.

This is full in body with modest carbonation. Overall a very nice representation of a breakfast themed stout. I believe this was a 1-2018 bottling, if that makes a difference? Would certainly buy this one again.

4.13/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Argosy in Atlanta. Served in a snifter.

O - Coffee in the front maple in the finish. Perfect after dinner beer with a semi-sweet desert.

A - Pours a deep dark black/brown. Viscous.

S - Maple extract like I use in my cookies.

T- Sweetish start followed by a coffee bitterness.

MF - A medium heavy body with a slightly sweet finish.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Dark black with a finger-and-a-half of dark mocha-colored head that lasts a surprisingly long time. Heavy lacing. An absolute beauty of a beer.

Maple, buckwheat pancake, light coffee and chocolate show in the nose.

Pretty sweet maple flavor, with a kiss up front and a pretty strong wallop on the backend. A good mix of breakfast blend coffee -- not too strong, but definitely present. And some bready malt that's reminiscent of pancakes. A little coffee, chocolate syrup and hop bitterness linger in the aftertaste.

Medium bodied, with a touch of creaminess, and just enough carbonation cutting through.

It delivers exactly as advertised. It's very sweet without being intensely, cloyingly sweet. The maple syrup comes on strong, but it is cut somewhat by the coffee and malt. That's not to say that I wouldn't prefer the coffee a little darker.

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

750 ml bottle into a snifter. Had 9/2/17.

Pours a dark brown, opaque and thick looking, with a half inch head and a little loose, soapy lacing. Aromas of maple, coffee, chocolate, malt, molasses, vanilla, light smoke. The taste leads more with the maple and coffee, then vanilla, malt, chocolate, some cocoa, molasses. This is incredibly sweet, and I’m comfortable way higher on the sweet meter than most people. Smooth, a good full body, appropriately carbonated.

Really good aroma, great coffee in nose and flavor, a good body, but way too sweet. Way. I have another bottle sitting, we’ll see if it mellows or turns into a candy bar.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Note a day later– I believe this is the longest review I have written and it apparently was my 500th. I guess I subconsciously knew it was a monumental one.

I had heard a bunch of different reviews on this one when it first came out – some said it was too sweet and muddy, others said it was really good, some people said it needed some age, others said the maple would fall off too fast. I will say that I am glad I bought a bottle and I am really enjoying it.

Pours very thick with minimal head and retention, very dark and leaves the sticky film on the glass.

Smell is a ton – A TON – of maple. There is some coffee underneath, very little roasty "stoutness" to it.

Taste - this is where I see the great divide on reviews. Personally, I don't find it to be too sweet. Knowing what it is and then smelling it, I fully expect a maple bomb to go off here. I get a slight bit or coffee underneath, Knowing what it is and then smelling it, I fully expect a maple bomb to go off here. I get a slight bit of coffee underneath, and I think the rusty stout nature is there in a way it isn't on the smell. The sweetness actually reminds me slightly of a beer I'm going to drink this afternoon, Samichlaus.

Feel – another polarizing aspect of the beer. I was talking with another advocate today about stouts that have maple, and we were debating whether it makes the beer too sticky. Personally, I like a variety of feel from different stouts, so I am rather enjoying the thicker muddier feel to this one. I think that I was expecting it to be this way, so I'm not disappointed.

Overall, I think this is a beer you have to meet on its terms and actually going in with a preconceived notion might make it more enjoyable. If you think you're going to get sweetness and thickness, then you will get what is advertised. If you're expecting something else, it won't live up to your expectations. I believe this is my first stout from them, and I would overall say it's pretty good.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark black but thin with little carbonation.

Deliciously pungent and strong coffee aroma with a definite and noticeable maple syrup sweetness.

Yikes, way too much sugar.

Thick, sugary, cloying.

Overall, an amazing aroma but in flavor and mouthfeel the sugary sweetness overpowers everything.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Tasted in a snifter from draft at the Art of Beer on November 16, 2017. Imperial Stout brewed with coffee and maple syrup. Too much coffee for my tastes.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark, thick, and brooding, just how I like stouts and.... coffee. Anyways, the maple, coffee, and cookie batter lead the taste with brown sugar, cinnamon, and milk chocolate supporting. A strong breakfast stout with a viscous nature while not sacrificing oat mouthfeel.

2.75/5  rDev -34.1%

Looks and smells nice, strong coffee and maple syrup aroma.

Ever put too much sugar in your coffee? 3 packets maybe? How about 4 or 5?
This tastes like a good cup of coffee ruined with an overdose of table sugar, and it's borderline disgusting. Thin, slick, and sickly sweet. Cloying aftertaste that lingers too long. It hides the abv well, but sugar tends to do that. Beetus ahoy.

I even tried watering down the sugar with ice it was so bad. Never had to ice a beer before. This was not good, extremely unbalanced and cloying. Sugar is something that never goes away with bottle conditioning, so don't waste time aging any. Worst beer from Hubbard's Cave so far... dumped it.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

L: You can tell this is a big and thick stout while pouring into the glass. It has a pitch black body, with a very dark brown, thin head, it looks great.

S: Tons of maple syrup with a hint of coffee - I'm also getting the faintest hint of pancakes on the nose.

T: This is where it went off the rails for me. This is a big maple bomb, and WAY too sweet, it almost tastes like you added a bunch of sugar into the glass after the pour. The coffee gets completely overwhelmed and you don't taste any of it. I'd be interested in what this beer does if you sit on it for a few months, but I too, 4-6 sips (cold and warmed up a tad) and I had to dump the rest.

F: This is one of the thicker stouts I've had in awhile - it definitely nailed the big, sticky adjunct stout identity.

O: This beer has potential, and I was really looking forward to it after getting a few whiffs after the pour. I may purchase another just to age it to see if that sugary syrup taste calms down.

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I tasted this one thanks to Rasta Ray. Had to right about it right away. Aroma is fresh coffee, not much head in the pour but thick and syrupy body. This one has a future. You taste it and immediately Dark Lord comes to mind but much sweeter and less developed, but well on its way to being a contender. Less coffee in the taste than in the smell. Dark fruits, molasses and honey. Definitely in the dessert stout category. A winner, because at 12.5% will only mellow out with age.

Coffee & Cakes from Hubbard's Cave Brewery