Mahr's Hell | Mahr's Bräu

mahrs.de

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 09-28-2003

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The "bottled on" space on the label is blank!

A: Clear, clean, golden-straw-yellow with a big, fluffy, pillowy, bright white head leaving behind a bit of lace and retention.

S: Lots of sweet and sugary malt with a hint of hops. Spot-on for the style!

T: So damn smooth, clean, crisp, and delicious! Everything I expected from this long-awaited drinking experience.

M: Carbonation is good. Body is great. Finish is superb.

O: Wish I had another bottle. This is seriously good stuff. I'm a huge fan of the style and this is up there with Schlenkerla. I could drink endless amounts of this delicious lager!

3.56/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ml bottle poured into pilsener glass.

A - Looks like a lager. Yellow with a somewhat thin head. I expect this beer wasn't exactly fresh, as there was very little carbonation, and the head dissipated very quickly.

S - A light amount of sweet malts, lager dankness, and a slight bit of hops. Spicy-ish hops, not fruity. Good smelling lager.

T - Kind of disappointed. This may be due to the beer not being too fresh, as it's among the top rated Munich Helles' here at BA. The slightly sweet malts are noted up front, along with a small amount of hops and yeast. The aftertaste is pleasant, and I notice a bit of black pepper. Most likely from spicy hops. Overall, not a bad tasting Helles, but I'm disappointed, as it's my favorite style, and I wasn't huge on this stuff. Similar to Weihenstephaner Original: rated highly, but I'm not a huge fan of.

F - Refreshing and crisp as a lager should be, but not refreshing in the way that my favorite Helles' make me want to take a long sip over and over do. I could certainly see drinking this on a hot day or on the golf course, though.

O - Not a bad beer, but I am disappointed. One of the best rated beers of this style (which happens to be my favorite), but nothing makes me want to purchase again. I would gladly try again if found somewhere cheaper (paid $5.49 for this 500 ml bottle - not worth it at all), but in the end, there are many better (and cheaper) Helles lagers. It's worth a try for lager fans.

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

On-tap at Mahrs itself in a 500 ml mug, on to the beer:

This one is golden yellow in color with a thick collar which retains well. Honey and grass make the aroma, and both aromas are vibrant. The taste is clean with pleasant grassy notes, honey bread, and a subtle citric note. With a slight crispness and light-medium body which helps make this beer very refreshing, this is one of many candidates for the stereotypical helles lager.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%