Jubelfestbier | Mahr's Bräu

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by PorterLambic on 11-23-2004

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

25 oz bottle with a "ceramic" flip-top.

This beer poured a very dark brown, practically opaque except near the edges, with light brown, creamy foam that settled and clung to the glass a bit, leaving a little lacing. The smell was malty with a touch of light caramel and a bit of yeast. The taste was malty with a touch of light caramel and light dark malt and a hint of yeast. There was a very, very light sweetness, with a bit of hoppiness in the finish. The mouthfeel was smooth with medium body and good carbonation. There was a very light aftertaste. This was a drinkable beer -- nice and easy, though not spectacular.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

I saw this swing-top & was reminded of the Sailer beers of my youth; pours a very dark reddish brown w/ a creamy tan head that lasts, good lacing; not as malty you would think, w/ a yeasty, macro kind of aroma; not abad flavor, more af the malt comes through here, still a little thin; lighter bodied than most 'fests, lots of dextrins tho, leaving plenty of co2 in the mouth; overall not a bad beer, just a little off for the style, i'd drink it again...

Presentation: 500ml swing top bottle in a thumbprint Seidel mug

Poured soft, slow, a little thick but with some life. Big loaf of a nose, just full of malt, crackers, bread crusts, thick with molasses. A slight minerality peeks thru adding some sharpness. As it warms some mild coffee liqueur sweetness peeks thru, even a peep of chocolate & caramel.

Easily 2 finger's worth, the head is a lunar landscape pocked with craters of various sized bubbles & their voids. The color of a good latte, its sticky and clings with some nice edge lacing as it slowly settles to a blanketing of the same with a soft sizzle. Actually, combined with the ruddy, burnt umber body it almost looks like a stout! This is easily one of the darkest, thickest looking Marzens I've seen. Thus far the nose & eyes are happy.

Thick n' full, it has a nice, rounded mouth-feel that is accented by a semi-sharp, dry crispness. The result is a nicely balanced, full lager experience. Cold black coffee bitterness, a little nutty, overall its bittersweet & drinking slow yet easy. I had some concerns about a Marzen being a "winter beer" but this interpretation is definitely ripe for the cold months.

It grows a little sharper & drier on the palate, coming together & more cohesive, even, flatter. It finishes with more of that cold black coffee bitterness and leaves an clean, light aftertaste of the same along with some faint nut qualities.

A very nice, easy to drink Marzen. It may sound weird, but I "enjoyed" this more than I "enjoyed" the taste of it. It tastes good, but the overall gestalt of the beer was more of a factor to me. I especially liked the full mouth-feel and how it drinks a little rich & heavy. This would be nice with any German fare, as well as any good sandwich on pumpernickel, etc. A nice cheddar or even a milder Bleu (Stilton?) could also be a nice foil. A most enjoyable beer that is right for the season. Give it a shot.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer departs the bottle deep deep brown with touches of light coming around the edges. The 2 finger head falls to coat the beer pretty fast. The nose is like shoe leather to me. The roasted malts and sweetness come together to smell like leather. Interesting. The flavor is roasted chocolate that slips into coffee and finishes mellow like burnt toffee. The flavor is thin, but that is pretty much what I would expect from the style. The flavors are not typical of a marzen, but it is nice. The feel is just a light moderate feel. Nothing real special I would say. Drinkability is good on this beer. ITs smooth and not too thick, so it finds its way to my stomach with the greatest of ease. Thanks to clvand0 for the opportunity to taste this great beer.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Very dark brown with red highlights. Light tan head that falls away.
S - Nice roasted malts, dark fruit, toffee.
T - Very roasty, cocoa, a little char. A little like a porter light.
M/F - Medium body, carbonation a bit above average.
D - Not an Oktoberfest but probably a winter fest bier. As that it is tasty and very enjoyable.

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%

From a pop-top lid this beer poured a rather intimidating glass. I was expecting more from it's intense color and character

Wet wood filled my nose when I first smelled this beer, intensifying as it warmed. It was an earthy aroma, tinged with prunes.

The flavor was similar to the smell, but with more coffee and chocolate notes. The malt is well-blended and a slight kick of bitterness at the end rounds-out the whole experience.

While I loved all the flavors, it just seemed a bit weak or watered down. Due to it's lack of chewiness, it would be extremely drinkable.

3.86/5  rDev +2.4%

Swing top opens with a whoosh!

Pours deep chestnut with 2+ fingers of tan colored head. Above average head retention & good lacing

S: Roasty malt & some coffee note

T: Roasty malt & breadyness, plus a touch of licorice up front. Some oaky notes plus vanilla as this warms. Finishes with some herbal hops, a touch of grainyness & some caramel. Almost gave this a 4.5

MF: Pretty rich for the ABV& moderate carbonation

Drinks very easy, a different marzen to be sure, but a lot of flavor packed within

3.87/5  rDev +2.7%

1 pt 9 fl oz brown, swing-top bottle.
No best before date.

Pours a deep maple in color. Creamy, milkshake-like coffee colored head that slowly settles to a calm, thick sheet. A bit of condensed lacing.

Sweet toffee, caramel, and molasses; mocha cafe with a hint of vanilla. Deep, roasted hazlenut aroma. Very inviting, rich and creamy aromatics.

Subdued, semi-sweet toffee and caramel that turns watery. The malt profile is quite thin for a Marzen. A few hints of vinous fruit prior to a clean wheat and grain flavor. The finish is airy followed by a sweetened caramel and wheat-filled aftertaste.

Medium bodied; airy, and almost thin on the palate. Clean, but thin for the style.

A pleasant Marzen, particularly in the aroma, but a lacking the true robust flavor I would expect. Quite drinkable for the style as well.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

I got a neat swing-top bottle of this beer from my local pub, the Cock & Bull. I've had it in the back of my fridge for more than a month. Guess I should drink it now, considering the holidays are over!

It's a pretty dark beer for a Märzen. Very deep amber when held to the light. Its head is off-white and foamy.

It smells lightly of roasted malts. The taste is also malty and sweet with roasted notes. I wouldn't think of this as a Christmas/Holiday beer: it's not as "big" as American winter beers. But this beer tastes too good to penalize for that.

This is a beer good enough to drink all year. It's nothing fancy: just good German beer.

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Picked this up on a whim, not a bad call if I may say so myself.

Poured a dark brown with a tint of red in the light. A good 2 fingers of head to start, slowly diminishes to one.

Smells of corn, malt, milk, and plum.

Taste is very reminiscent of a Schwarzbier. Smokey up front, then very malty. Malt has a roasted flavor, and there are hints of oak and hop present but not dominant.

Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation is middle of the road. Weight is a bit more than I prefer but it feels nice going down.

This is a good beer, and drinkability is only a bit above average for me. My beer stop doesn't usally carry this, but if I see it again I'll grab another or two.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

This bottled import from Germany pours a dark chocolate color with a modest light brown cover and a complete coat of lacing. The aroma is chocolatey coffee with some bitter smoke detected. The taste is a somewhat aqueous smooth blend of smoke and sweet coffee bitterness. Not a lot of carbonation, just a light tingle on the tongue. This seems fairly simple and very drinkable. Not sure what it has to do with an Octoberfest, not typical from my experience, but enjoyable enough, smooth and mild with some flavor.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

I enjoy dark beers that are muted in flavor. It has something to do with the smoke. Smoke can really turn me off on a beer and this beer is a well balanced low-flavor beer.

Now, when I say muted I don't mean to say it in a bad way. I'm just saying that I don't notice excessive hops, cloves, bananas, prunes, citrus, deep smoke or anything else done in mass quantities. There are complex flavors going on with this beer (coffee, caramel, toffee, malts) but no single thing disrupts the whole.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The darkest marzen I have come across pouring deep mahogany brown with some crimson hue with a light brown fluffy two finger head that settles slowly into a creamy froth leaving bits and pieces of lace behind.A little smoke to the aroma is what I picked up right away with notes of molasses and and star anise.Very nice creamy/fluffy mouthfeel full but glides down very easily and with no effort,in my mind not overly sweet somewhat earthy with unsweetened chocolate notes with some molasses finishing with hints of wood.A damn fine O-fest/ marzen flavors are subtle but with nice complexities,this would be my go to beer for the fesitval season although it seems more of a dunkel in character.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Dark brown in hue with ruby highlights, in a wide ½ liter mug the liquid looks darker then I think it really is. Beige head, the pour produced two-fingers of head. Head retention was fair, it quickly faded to a thin, firm cap, and then it turned soapy. Subsequent lacing started immediately, it looked like tattered wallpaper. Damn, this beer looks great!

The nose lacks potency. I think it is too cold. I can understand some of the whispers; it smells like a direr Oktoberfest mixed with a Schwarzbier. Lightly roasty, minimal sweetness and some earthiness at the back is all I got at first. Once the beer warmed up… wow… the nose really shines. Everything is louder and smokiness emerges plus some chocolate. At first I would have called the nose average but after a few moments the nose livened up, a lot! Inviting.

The palate matches the nose, dry roasted maltiness with a kiss of tobacco, toasted bread, and caramel sweetness at the back. Earthy residue. Light bitterness. Once it warmed, smokiness developed as did some chocolate at the back. Lovely. The aftertaste is long, tasty… this beer tastes like an Oktoberfest had sex with a Schwarzbier. What a sexy kid. I really like this beer!

Thin mouthfeel, low carbonation, this is the weakest aspect of the beer. It doesn’t hold the palate well. It needs more beef.

This beer is plenty drinkable. I’ve enjoyed a few ½ liters on-tap at the Huber-Haus. What a solid beer this is… oddly, this is one of the few beers that taste better the less I think about it. In a way that is both a blessing and a curse, fun to drink but not when I have my beer geek cap on, rarely do I geek-out when I am at the Huber-Haus so that works out well. Get some.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Presentation: 500ml (1 Pint 0.9 fluid ounce) tall slim bodied brown glass bottle. Unlike the other five Mahr’s brews that I recently quaffed, this one comes with a Grölsch like white-plastic swing top with a signature red rubber seal. Listed as “Bamberger Original Mahr’s Brau” on both the main and neck label, the latter straddles the ironwork on the neck. The main label has a very colorful picture of a Fraulein with a handful of many beers, some 12 Steins by my reckoning, above the word “Jubelfest” in a lime green Germanic font. No freshness but listed at Alc. 4.9% Vol. My bottle looks just like the one in the BA Database.

Appearance: Deep black body, unlit, it has a Stout like stature with its tight 1" massed crown that settles to a ½” thick tan colored head. Held to the incandescent light a rich deep ruby gem like shines form the torso with a brilliant clarity

Nose: Rich dark fruits. So reminiscent of the deep pile carpet textured Parkin and homemade thick black toffee that was traditionally forged for Bonfire Night in England. Heavy nasal malts and carbon impregnated smells of burnt Catholics - this one is a winner!

Taste: Lightly roasted black malts entrance the experience. Burnt toast and rich toffee delve into the depths. Dry cross section, black malts and a bitterness that is more jealousy than hop infused. Light caramel and dark chocolate punctuate the fleeting back end with some Cocoa powder. Hangs like a thin Porter.

Mouthfeel: Thin body at times, like burnt sugar dissolved in water, it fails to deliver the muscle that the nose and tastes tantalizingly offer. That said this is only 4.9% ABV, so you have to bear that in mind. Not weak but far from bold.

Drinkability: The low body feel aids consumption, Drinkability is Black Lager in high proportion to the strength and body feel. Solid quaffer with a dark side that is both intriguing and beguiling.

Overall: The final installment of a week long tasting of Six Mahr’s Brau beers that each cost me $3.99 at Hollingshead Deli in Orange, CA. This one was probably the stand out, with the Christmas Bock very close behind. Tasty stuff, this would be quite the treat if they upped the octane rating a bit and promoted the Mouthfeel to support the tastes. Listed as a Märzen/Oktoberfest – but I truly believe this to be way more in the Black Lager camp; it should be listed as a Schwarzbier IMVHO.

Appearance – This is very, very dark for a fest bier. The head is actually brown. Maybe it's an emofest beer?

Smell – There's a rich, wonderfully pungent grain aroma here along with some light sugars and that classic German lager smell.

Taste – Oh, man, this is a full-flavored drink. The grain is just beautiful in the classic German style and there's a dark malt that is almost stoutish. I can actually taste a roastiness to this one.

The sugars though are not to be outdone. They are raw and unruly but easily kept in check by the stiff grain. It sounds like all of these edgy flavors would make for a clumsy flavor profile but this bad boy is singing.

Mouthfeel – This is a little bigger than light-bodied in the mouth and actually has some bitterness to it. The traditional German smoothness gives this an on-tap feel.

Drinkability – Yes, it's way too dark for the style and no, it's not supposed to be roasty, but damn it this is one fine beer.

Served from a .5 litre swing top bottle with a vaguely holiday-themed label. Pours deep brown, almost black in color. Lots of malt and roastiness in the nose. Has classic German flair. Flavor is dry and smooth with a mellow roastiness, nice.

At first I thought the Marzen/Octobefest categorization was an error coming from the "fest" reference in the name. However, confusingly, the importer's website labels it as a "specialty lager/winter/holiday" beer, but then refers to it as an Oktoberfest. Technically this would score poorly as out of style for an Octoberfest but I did not reduce my score. Consider it a schwartzbier or perhaps a dunkel.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours to a deep brown color, almost black with a thick, creamy light brown head. Leaves a lot of lacing when sipped down. The aroma is malty and chocolatey. It has a huskiness, and a caramel and german malt aroma as well.

The flavor is malty, chocolatey, bready, with a toasted malt taste throughout. It is medium in body and smooth drinking. A very nice brew.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Wow! Impressive pop when I opened the bottle made me glad the cap was attached! I believe this is the 2005 Jubelfestbier, but there is no date coding and no way to tell how old it might be. Sampled on 1-18-06.

Appearance: Much darker than I expected after reading the style description. Very well carbonated as evidenced by the resounding POP! when I opened the bottle and the fluffy off white head that pours without effort. This beer has definite garnet color to the edges when held to the light, but otherwise is like looking at a big city during a blackout: opressively dark. Head dissipates to thin foam with islands in about three minutes.

Smell: Very malty and sweet character with a hint of maple or brown sugar that has been ever so slightly scorched. Hops are not particularly noticeable. There is a smell that strongly reminds me of oatmeal, but if this is brewed by the Rheinheitsgebot, then that wouldn't be an option. I can't wait to see what kinds of flavors lurk in this one!

Taste: For all of the above mentioned malt smell, it is really quite thin on taste overall. This would be a good beer with nearly any meal and menu. This could easily be a breakfast beer with a muffin because of its lack of strong flavor. There are some subtle roasty qualities, but overall it is a very inoffensive beer. This is what I imagine a mass market beer in Germany to be like. There is no distinct taste of alcohol or hops and the malt is really only present in a thin roastyness. The maple like aroma was a trick on my nose. I do taste a certain "mineral like" flavor that I can't really put my finger on, but I think it would be a safe bet that this is brewed with hard water. Overall very enjoyable, though not strong.

Mouthfeel: Wow! is all I can say. This is such a smooth, velvety beer without the stickyness that usually comes along with such beers that I just can't believe it! Give it a try and see what you think.

Drinkability: This beer would go well in a gallon size jug, because I want to drink that much and because of the mellow flavors and silky mouthfeel, I think I could!

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a Rosewood color with ruby edges. A creamy loose 1/2" light khaki head sits steady and slowly diminishes to 1/4" within a couple minutes. Delicate but thorough rings of lace all the way down.

The nose is pure malt bliss. Toffee, chocolate, malted milk powder and vanilla nougat steadily emanate from this brew. The roasted malts smell very well rounded and soft - not at all burnt or acrid. There are some lush dark fruits in the background also.

The flavor of this is not as complex or 'deep' as the nose. But that's OK because the nose was reminiscent of what are usually to be the beginnings of a great porter (or even a stout!). The taste of shoe leather sits shotgun while gently roasted malts caress the tongue. A delicate flavor of smoke is detectable up front (in great Bamberg fashion, I might add) but slips behind the malty curtain after a couple seconds.

Mouthfeel is soft, creamy and low carbonated. The body is a bit on the lighter side of medium and the finish is ultra clean.

Drinkability is good. The beer is so cask-like that it doesn't bloat the belly whatsoever. The flavors are very unintrusive and would compliment many types of shellfish and BBQ.

Overall a very graceful and well-rounded dark lager. A stately Kostritzer if you will. I'm afraid people who don't realize how difficult it is to produce such a subtle and 'quiet' beer such as this will give it low marks. The WOW factor on this one lies in the details. Very flavorful, but doesn't steal the show. Nice malt complexity but doesn't coat the tongue. Mahr's really did a great job with this beer.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Dark dunkel like with abundant lace. Fresh taste at Pizza Plant Transit. Roast in aroma, taste like a deep rich wine. Yeast is there to round out satisfying aftertaste. Full mouthfeel. Smooth, wheat characteristic and nicely malted to make it drinkable.
I had this again 1.75 years later on tap and it was great again.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This Mahr's offering pours a really dark crimson black color. The darkest Oktoberfest I have ever seen. A huge cocoa tan head emerges. Cola like at first but then bubbly and foamy and more cappucino like. A few sheets of lace line the glass.

Smell is weak for me with notes of roasted barley, some darker fruits, and maybe some yeasty byproducts.

Taste begins with a sweet fruityness. A bittersweet roasted chocolate character follows. Some slight caramel underneath along with the faintest notes of clove and banana. The malts hold but a dryness really emerges towards the backside of this drink. Dried fruits, some smoky aftertones, and dark chocolate round out this offering.

Body is thick and roasty. Yet I could gulp with relative ease because of the balance of flavors and the yeast doesn't really lend an overbearing precense. Lingers a bit in the aftertaste. I could drink many of these during the Oktoberfest season. Quite unique for the style but also quite nice.

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Single, 1 pint, .9 fl oz, swing-top bottle just purchased from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield...
Deep-brown, dark-maroon hue with an immense foamy head that left a thick, frosty layer of lacing around the edge of the serving glass...
Mild aroma replete with figs and prunes...
Hints of dark toffee, caramel cream, dates, rich malts, figs, and dehydrated fruits were present on the tongue... Overall, an excellent, subtle, flavorful sample...
Great creamy, rich mouthfeel along with a superb level of easy drinkability to match..
Top-notch stuff...
Recommended...

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

500ml swing-top.

It pours a super dark brown bordering on black with a smooth, foamy greyish tan head that has a nice cascade.

The smell is much like a dunkel with cocoa, raisins, sugar, and fresh baked bread.

The taste is total dunkel, and it is awesome, perhaps a bit roastier than most. It is dark, sugary with roastiness, a hint of bitter chocolate, and some earthy hops.

Somewhere between a baltic porter, a dunkel, and a schwartzbier.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast