Alaskan Amber | Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan AmberAlaskan Amber
3.64/5
Good
Alaskan AmberAlaskan Amber

Alaskan Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
alaskanbeer.com

Style: German Altbier

Richly malty and long on the palate, with just enough hop backing to make this beautiful amber colored "alt" style beer notably well balanced.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 671 | Ratings: 2,138

I can not say enough good things about Alaskan Amber. It is creamy without being thick, sweet without being saccharine, hoppy without being bitter. Just toasty, caramelly (I realize this is not a word), and generally perfect. I have tried hundreds of beers and this remains a mainstay in my household.

Color: Nice amber looking beer.

Smell: smells like warm candy in the summer. great smell.

Taste and Mouthfeel: A Nice matlt balance. This is a very drinkable beer.

This is a very good beer. I am so glad it is one state that is less then 3 hours away for me. i will be making trips to WI for it. This beer brings me back to the nice summer to fall day as a kid. I don't know why. I really enjoy this beer. Cheers!

Awesome perfectly balanced beer. Not to hoppy, nice body. Great with food. Wish there were more beers like this. Why do we have to go all the way to Alaska to find good beer? Not sure but they do a damn fine job.

4.94/5  rDev +35.7%

Ordered on draft at an airport while waiting for my flight. This is banana bread in beer form. Pours with a small head that leaves very little lacing. Has a translucent amber coloring. Tastes nutty and sweet with a little banana flavor. I'm hooked. Hopefully I can get some back home!

4.85/5  rDev +33.2%

Alaskan Amber is a perennial favourite of mine. A smooth, copper colored ale; heavy on the malt with just enough hop to cleanse the palette from the sweetness. Definitely NOT a "lawnmower" beer, but mild enough to drink plenty in a session. This is another great choice for the milder fall and cooler winter sessions at the pub or in front of the fire at home. One issue I have had with this beer is an omnipresent flaw of the pub to want to serve it cold. This beer suffers greatly from a cold pour, as the floral complexities are completely lost. If you are tasting this beer for the first time, do yourself the favour of letting the bottle stand 5-10 minutes out of refrigeration before pouring, then pour slowly and with the glass tipped as you normally would. The head on this style beer should be low, as the carbonation should be as well. If you have a home draught beer system, set it no less than 45F and I recommend tapping into a pitcher and serving from there, as I have found that helps the head to seem creamier.

Alaskan Amber pairs well with hearty beef dishes, and I enjoy it with any dish which you might pair with a red wine. If I could find a fault with with this beer, it would be the flaw in most/all bottled offerings; that of metallic force carbonation. This is my default bottled beer favourite, as here in California, due to a great distribution network, we can often get it for less than $12/12 pack! Someone show me a better $1 ale!!!

This is a good choice for an American made amber ale without the overbearing hop profile which the west coast has imposed on the style. it compares well with British pale, ESB or German Alt beers in flavour and food pairing. If you have tried it in the past, and were "unimpresesed", try it again properly served. You'll be glad you did!!

4.85/5  rDev +33.2%

Outstanding...my kind of beer...very malty and sweet with a slick mouth feel (almost oily or greasy)..minimal hops...light orangish color....I didn't get much head retention, but you can see the carbonation...doesn't taste charged up though...this is a brilliant beer..truly exceptional....I expected a little more hop bite on the aftertaste but it is fine just the way it is..

4.83/5  rDev +32.7%

This is my favorite beer by far. A couple years ago my wife had the opportunity to get a private tour of the brewery in Juno. Amazing!! A friend of ours son was one of the Brewmaster and did us a favor and showed us around.

The place was a lot smaller then I thought it would be considering the amount they produce. Very clean and looked to be well organized.

During the tour we were able to taste some of the other beer they were brewing. I liked them all but their Amber is still my favorite. I'm more into a heavier beer without overloading the taste buds.

Hopefully it will get some more reviews and spread out more.

Thanks again.

4.8/5  rDev +31.9%

This is probably my favorite ale. I enjoy the balanced flavors and nothing goes down smoother. Wish I could get it in MA without the extra shipping.

4.79/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

We tried this beer out west and loved it! It is sweeter than many beers, which I like. I prefer the sweeter wines (Rieslings/Desert Wines). I cannot stand bitter beer. This is nice and smooth. The color is pretty too. Too bad we cannot get it in the Southeast.

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

We accidentally discovered this brew during our trip to Minnesota last summer. It was on tap at a little pizza place in Brooklyn Center, a suburb of Minneapolis. We made a trip within the trip up to Jay Cooke State Park (south of Duluth) and stopped for lunch at the Streetcar Pub and Grill in Carlton. When the waitress told us they had this on tap there was no need for her to list any more options. Unfortunately, a call to the brewery after we returned home informed me that it was not currently available in Oklahoma and the online shipping costs are prohibitive. I'm looking forward to the day that this becomes available locally.

4.68/5  rDev +28.6%

Pours an awesome dark reddish copper color with a nice head of off-white head. Not much lacing but a nice ring of fizz floats around the rim of my glass. Nice carbonation.

Very faint malty aroma and a candi sweet smell of cherries, kind of reminds me of redvines candy.

Fizzy on the palate, crisp and smooth. Awesome malty sweetness a little fruity, balanced perfectly with a light bitterness. Carbonation makes me burp quite a bit.

Very good beer, totally a session beer, I could drink this brew all night long!

Cheer!

4.62/5  rDev +26.9%

I enjoyed this beer from the bottle at the Anchorage, Alaska airport.

Attractive iced-tea colored brew, clear with slight head. Aroma is nice and malty. Flavor is very well-balanced, some faint chocolate notes (actually they were stronger when drunk straight out of the bottle the day before while on Alaska Airlines) Very rich. Wonderfully rich and smooth mouthfeel, really this what sets this beer apart.

Don't know about the alcohol content, but it seems fairly strong.

4.61/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a great everyday beer, especially on a hot summer day. Very smooth and easy to drink, it's hard not to finish the six pack in one sitting :-).

4.61/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don't know anything about alt beer style. I do know this beer is mellow, slightly sweet with a slight hops, especially on the aftertaste/finish, to balance out the sweetness. It's not molassesy like as heavier beers (such as Founders Backwoods Bastard or Dragon's Milk), but rather a light sweetness. Think of the difference between molasses and light corn syrup.

It is an excellent alternative to lawnmower beer, but also satisfies as a craft ale with flavor and character. Of course it's wonderful after mowing the lawn. Or as a lighter alternative if you don't want a roasty porter, an imperial stout or a stunning eisbock like Aventinus (which tops my all-time favorite beers, but very high alcohol).

Not being a high hops lover, this beer is perfect for me on a daily basis. It is not too heavy, not too light, and only one and a half times as much alcohol as a typical lawnmower beer. (5.3% vs. typically 3.2%).

Session beer? Definitely. Well-crafted? Yes.

4.56/5  rDev +25.3%

Excellent pre-dinner beer, if on tap because the bottled version is nothing like the draft. Wonderful aftertaste that I cannot describe. Usually ask at a restaurant if they have it on tap, if not, we usually don't return. (it's that much of a great pre-dinner beer for me). I have found different batches taste different. Alaskan needs to pay attention to their consistency (or maybe that is their plan ?) If you find it on tap before dinner, Enjoy!

4.56/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Alaskan Amber is a great quality session beer, in my book. It pours a deep amber with a bit of a reddish-tan head. The malt character is strong in this one, and it has a hint of crisp hops in the finish (kinda like Sam Adam's Octoberfest.) Overall, I find this beer to be rather refreshing to drink.

4.53/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured with a brilliant deep amber, the appearance was perfect! Nice head retention to start with and it lasted all the way to the end. The nice malty, creamy, chewy mouth feel this beer provides is my reason for this review. An enjoyable session beer for sure.

This beer is very true to this "old" beer style. One of the best American interpretations of a German beer I've had. I would certainly drink this beer again.

4.51/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don not think I ever had this style of beer but it surprise with taste and quality.

Appearance : It is copper color produces a really thick and nice an fluffy head.

Smell : Malty and I was not expecting many hops

Taste : It has a hit with malts and some carbonation. Great tasting dark beer for some getting into craft beer,

Mouthfeel: Medium Carbonation has appears to have in the glass, It does have a really nice finish. It finishes sweet and then begins to dry as you swallow.
I am impressed with this beer. This makes me want to grab a few more these amber beer.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Tasty, tasty, tasty! This gives me a nice alternate to the Killians. This version of the alt bier category is a good deal, then again Vienna lagers are crowded, this one pushes the other brands out of the way which gives it a nice alternative.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

For a beer that travels from Alaska to the midwest, I'm astonished it is so fresh. The color and initial taste remind me more of a brown ale and not an amber. Light still passes through the glass but the color resembles more of a dark red, brunette almost. The malts lean that way too. I taste a nice roasty chocolate malt that reminds me of a good brown. The hop finish is nothing more than a little bitters to balance out the malt. Underrated beer I will say.

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance:
Very nice copper color. Some carbonation rising. Small head that disappear really quick.

Aroma:
Sweet aroma, but very light... Caramel and fruity esters.

Taste:
Very rich and malty. Lots of caramel malts, biscuity, hazelnut, toasty, just slight hint of chocolate. Just touch of bitter hops towards the finish.

Body:
Very smooth. Medium body, yet pretty creamy. Carbonation is very nice.

4.44/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A pillow of delicately toasty and caramelish malt seems to be the heart and soul of this brilliant, reddish-copper ale. It's present in the nose, and then again in the flavor... big time! It's very nicely balanced as well, leaving it sweetish and nutty, but not sweet. The emphasis is, however, clearly on the malt, and not the hops. The hops that are present are floral, slightly grassy, and just a touch spicy; but they lay low, giiving only a waft of character to the nose, and an accent of "spice" to the flavor. And that is what gives this beer its incredible roundness and balance. It's rich without being cloying, and oh-so-delicately balanced by its restrained hop flavors and bitterness. It finishes almost without notice, leaving just a smear of nutty, toasty and biscuity malt to linger on the palate; and lending greatly to its drinkability by beckoning you to partake again. Quite nice!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Alaskan Brewing Company Alaskan Amber
Live review. Poured from stubby 12 oz. bottle that I bought as a “mix sixer” from Giant Eagle in Madison, Ohio about a week ago into a clean, clear glass. “Mix sixer“ was $10.99. Best by 07 09 17” stamped on label so this one is fresh. 5.3% ABV mentioned on the label.
A: Translucent Copper body under a nice, light brown head. Classic, good look.
S: GREAT medium roast malt sweetness in the smell which is somewhat nutty and very inviting.
T: The taste carries right from the suggestion of the smell. GREAT, sweet medium roast malt sweetness with a sense of grain in the front but that quickly dissipates.
M: Feel is appropriately moderate with a really nice thin layer of syrupy sweetness left on the toungue for at least a few minutes after last sip. Love the feel of this beer!
D/0: Drinkability is really high (I could have 4 or 5 of these) and Overall this beer is a big success.
Notes: Last time that I had one of these was in Juneau when I brought a six pack of this to a Halibut dinner served by some of the Halibut fisherman who I knew there. That was in late 1999 or early 2000. I should not wait this long to have my next Alaskan Amber, a great example of the style.

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

This is an exceptional session beer. Creamy head, dark amber color, smooth taste and not the least bit heavy. The aroma doesn't quite come all the way through with the taste -just a little more mellow. Nice lacing on the glass that stays all the way through.
I was introduced to this beer by my brother in AK, and can't get it here in NE -but I can in WY, came back with a case this past weekend. It's going to be hard to make it stretch out.

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

I have fond memories of this beer, on tap many years ago (before BA was around), at the Chena Hot Springs Resort up in Alaska, I wonder if they still have it?

Anyway, I saw it at Pay and Take in Flagstaff, while checking out their beer fridges and grabbed a bottle to be drank in the windless sunspot they have outside.

I am a big fan of Alt beers (even if they aren't brewed in Dusseldorf). This one doesn't let the style down one iota.

Looked good, that reddish tint to its clear body, on top sat the regular tanned/off-white head most Alts have.

The smell was mildly malty, as it should be and the taste was just perfect for the first beer of my 2nd 'allocated drinking days' during our US road tour.

Really pleased to have re-found this beer, most likely be years before we are reaquainted, a great pity because it is a well made beer in a style many brewers find difficult to produce (outside the Dusseldorf area).

Alaskan Amber from Alaskan Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.64 out of 5 with 2,138 ratings