Alaskan Amber | Alaskan Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Alaskan AmberAlaskan Amber

Alaskan Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
alaskanbeer.com

Style: Altbier

Richly malty and long on the palate, with just enough hop backing to make this beautiful amber colored "alt" style beer notably well balanced.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

Ratings: 1,956 |  Reviews: 627

1.34/5  rDev -63.2%

Bottle. Man, what a dissapointment. First of all, this isn’t an altbier, no way in the world. Tasted more like Newcastle Brown, horribly sweet, caramel, toffee and nuts, soft, sweet rubbish, made me angry while drinking it, because i was expecting am enjoyable beer, which is not what it ended up being. Had this at a beautiful camspite on the Oregon coast with some friends, shame the beer was so bad.

This is going to be one of those beer that I will want to avoid at any cost. The rating here is B, and I thought that this is a good beer, but it turned out bad.

A. looks yellowish to me rather that amber

S. It smells like dead fish. Maybe that is why the bottle has a ship on it.

T. It is those beer that I can't tell the taste. it is not bitter nor sweet. It is like combination of those with the smell of dead fish sea water.

M. Not fresh.

O. drink this at your own risk.

2.1/5  rDev -42.3%

2.2/5  rDev -39.6%

I was in the mood to experiment a little bit so I got a six pack of 'mix' beers. This was one of them. Poured into my pint glass with a medium head, which disappeared quickly. The beer is a copper red color. I figured I was not seeing it in the right light so took it to a room that was better lit but no matter how hard I looked I could see no amber.
The beer has only a hint of a smell, faintly like yeast. The mouthfeel is average, like diluted Fat Tire.
I love all beer and given a choice between this ale and iced tea, would pick the ale any day of the week but this is not by a long shot the best beer I have had

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.28/5  rDev -37.4%

Consumed the beer over a year ago and took notes.

Had on tap at Library Alehouse in Santa Monica.

A pint glass came out full of a deep dark red, very clear, with a thin layer of white foam

Has a very tart, sweet-sour aroma with a hint of toasted rye bread

Sour, I frankly hope the keg had past its prime, otherwise I question why a brewery would sell this. No noticeable hop presence, unbalanced, and a vinegary aftertaste.

Nicely carbonated with a fine texture.

Not only will I not have this beer again, it firmly plants altbier at the bottom of my list of beer styles. I wish this beer suited my taste buds, but it didn't. I guess I'm not crazy about overly sour brews.

2.46/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

really my palate issue...

do not like Amber's....do not like Alaska's

too sweet, off-taste, not hoppy enough, not strong enough...not good enough

2.48/5  rDev -31.9%

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a lovely, brightly burnished copper colour, almost tinged with deep flashes of red ruby. Head is pretty firm, and very fine. A clean white sheen across the top of the glass. Nice languid carbonation and excellent lacing. Really, it's a great looking beer.

I fear, however, that there may not be any more vociferous praise for this beer in the review. Nose, is very faint and very mild, giving a slight honeyed grain character and very little else—I'd say the smell of water, but given that's almost nothing I'll say it smells like a wet tissue. At least that gives some description to the type of bland nothingness I'm trying to get across here.

Taste is similar, although there's a pleasant slightly metallic, slightly nutty bitterness through the centre of the void which is the flavour of this beer. That's about all there is, however, leaving it very weak, rather empty and very unexciting. Feel is so flat and empty as to make it feel like you're not actually putting liquid in your mouth.

Overall, a very poor effort. I appreciate the need for light, sessionable beers in your lineup, but this is a perfunctory effort at that, with little inspiration and minimal character. It's a slap in the face to some of the great Altbiers I've had.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

Alaskan Amber from Alaskan Brewing Co.