Alaskan Amber | Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan AmberAlaskan Amber
Liked This Beer
3.64 w/ 1,986 ratings
Alaskan AmberAlaskan Amber

Alaskan Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
alaskanbeer.com

Style: Altbier

Richly malty and long on the palate, with just enough hop backing to make this beautiful amber colored "alt" style beer notably well balanced.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

Liked:
3.64/5
Alströms:
3.4

Ratings: 1,986 |  Reviews: 633

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

3.09/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Today's beer is boring. It's from a brewing company I haven't been impressed with, and it is a boring style. Of course, I didn't realize the history behind the recipe. That is what makes this blog fun. Nothing beats learning about beers, brewing companies, and styles. THAT is why this blog will never get boring for me. Sure, there will be a day we run out of beer… but that is a long time from now, and a challenge I will happily accept.

I haven't had an amber in a while. One that comes to mind is the Prescott amber ale. They only can, but it's a pretty drive getting there. I will give the Alaskan Amber a chance… not like I have a choice! Oh, and later we are going to be drinking (not reviewing) four beers from Sam Adams. They are just sitting in the fridge starring at me. It's time I consume them!

In the Glass: This beer has a nice rich copper color to it and produces a really thick head for such a drinkable beer. You know, I am not sure I have ever tried this one. Regardless, if I have had it, it wasn't that memorable. The beer, as I swirl it in the glass, also continues to produce a nice fluffy head.

Nose: We are drinking this cold, but the nose is powerful and is filled with malty goodness. I am not expecting many hops here. As we start to plan the breweries we will feature in our book (title coming soon), I have to imagine we will pick the Alaskan Brewing Company to feature in Alaska. I just want to see it. Oh, and the glacier, too!

A second sniff is offering the same powerful malty aromas that I was getting on my first sniff.

Flavor: While this beer is boring, it does have a lot of flavor. At first, you are hit with malts and some subtle carbonation. Then, as you swallow, while the flavor quickly fades, it does produce some nice drying flavors. Like I said, I didn't have very high expectations of this beer. I am happily impressed. I don't recommend swishing this around in your mouth. The bubbles become overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Considering how much carbonation the beer appears to have in the glass, there really isn't that much on the palate. I would LOVE to see this beer barrel aged. It reminds me, a little, of the Bigfoot mouthfeel. Does anyone know if Alaskan ages any of their beers? I bet there are some good whiskeys made up there in the mountains!

Aftertaste: The tasting notes said the aftertaste was quick, and while it doesn't last for five minutes, it does have a really nice finish. It finishes somewhat sweet (from the malts) and then begins to dry as you swallow. I bet this would be a great food beer. I imagine pairing this with some burgers or some BBQ. Speaking of BBQ, Sheryl went to a BBQ festival last weekend. Maybe she will discuss her experience here on the blog.

I didn't have high expectations going in, but I am leaving the Alaskan Amber very impressed. This makes me want to grab a few more ambers to compare. This original recipe is from 1900… I don't think this beer will age that long! Cheers, everyone.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

2.97/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: a copper/rust color with a very small foam head that dissipates quickly.

S: salty water I guess.

T: the taste isn't bad, at first it tastes bready and beery for lack of a better word. It leaves you with a really nice sweet malt aftertaste though.

M: not much carbonation. Nice consistency. Goes down easily.

O: I like it, I'd drink it again. Nothing special at all, but I do enjoy the sweet malt taste of it.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Alaskan Amber from Alaskan Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 44.6% out of 100 with 1,986 ratings