Alaskan Pale | Alaskan Brewing Co.

good
Alaskan PaleAlaskan Pale

Alaskan Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
alaskanbeer.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Golden Ale. A blonde, lighter bodied beer with a floral aroma and a crisp, hoppy finish that's not bitter. The hop character of Alaskan Pale is due to dry hopping by hand during the fermentation process.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-06-2001

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

2.76/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

My first beer from Alaska that didn't impress. Bought a mixed 6 pack in Skagway that included the Amber Ale and Summer Ale that I had tried already and the IPA that I had on tap. The pack included the Oatmeal Stout, ESB and this beer.

The Alaskan Pale poured a clear, slightly reddish gold with a medium sized white head that fades to a covering of the glass. Leaves good lacing for this style of beer.

Smell and taste are kind of skunky macro lager with a bit more malt flavor than the typical macro. There is also a stale vegetable flavor

Mouthfeel is ok for this style...not like Coors Light or other watery beer. Drinkability suffers from the vegetable after taste. Not a real bad beer but not something I would look forward to again.

2.79/5  rDev -22.1%

Could be mistaken for an adjunct. Light hues of honey and hay, quite pale and clear. Head, too, reminds me of an adjunct. Thinner and not what I like in my pale ales. Smell is of some light tropical fruits, some honey malts and a clean grassy/hoppy finish. Faint aromas. Flavor starts off with grainy malts tastes and has a flat hops taste. Cheap, tinny aftertaste. Not so great tasting. Balanced, but neither flavors are that great to begin with, so who cares if its balanced? Mouthfeel is pretty good, light-medium bodied with subtle bed of carbonation.

No juicy hops, and no slightly sweet pale malts. Just grainy low-quality malts and cheap, flat, metallic hops. Tastes too much like a Bud Light, but with slightly stronger flavor. Weak beer.

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle at the Falcon's Christmas in July Tasting

Sharp citrusy aroma with a grapefruit rind approach with some dry toasty malt notes.

Appearance is pale orange with a light white head that sticks fairly well to the glass.

The flavor and body are ruined by a disastrous amount of buttery diacetyl and a hint of corny malt and an acidic finish.

It's unfortunate, but I I'm cerrtain this was a well travelled bottle of what feels like it should be an otherwise fine beer.

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

**IM rating Alaskan Pale Golden Ale**

It is not here, nor can I add it yet (20+) (I know, I know, get to drinking)((I have been but rating is a different story))

Thnx!

I always rate drinkability a little higher than what the other numbers may insist.

The aftertaste and smell was sour hop.
Lingering sweaty sour notes. Taste soft, okay, but not impressed, probably wouldnt buy it again, but would have one if thats what they offered. So ok, but nothing special.p.

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured light yellow color, much lighter expected from a pale ale, and clear as a bell, with white 3 finger head. A= not much to smell, very faint citrus hops is about all I can pull out of it. T= weak malt profile, and lightly hopped, no real hop bitterness, but defiantly some hop flavor. M= thin and watery, no body

Overall, this is a dissapointing APA, needs more everything, I would classify this as a Light American Pale Ale. Its drinkable, just not something I would get again.

2.85/5  rDev -20.4%

A- Appearance is a clear golden with rather weak head retention.
S- Fresh bread, some grain, a bit of faint citrus zest. Rather underpowering.
T- An opening reminiscent of biscuits and honey, with a grainy finish. I was left wondering where the hop presence was. I don't need a hop bomb, but the hops just didn't seem to check in anywhere.
M- Light body, and a bit undercarbed.
D- I found this beer to be pretty decent when I had it on tap. Out of the bottle, it lost its zest. Still drinkable and enjoyable, but the bottled version is underwhelming for me.

2.87/5  rDev -19.8%

Appearance – The body is just a bit on the cloudy side. The head though is gorgeous. It rose up easily even on my careful pour and pitted well as it slowly dissipated. The foamy froth left a beautiful lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell – This one smells kind of funky. I’m not sure what it is. There’s some really cheap grain in there followed by a strange kind of sweetness. Not too promising.

Taste – Ouch! I have to part with the crowd here. I thought this was horrendous. I did like the refreshing hops, but the cheap Gummi-Bear sweetness that overpowered the smallish malt was very disappointing.

Mouthfeel – The mouthfeel was good. It was “pale ale” enough to be refreshing and everything went down smooth. It’s medium-bodied, so it’s not too thin like a lot of other attempts at the style.

Drinkability – I certainly wouldn’t by this again.

2.99/5  rDev -16.5%

A good pour resulted in a finger's worth of bone-white head with low retention and decent lacing. Color was a deep-gold with NE-quality clarity. Nose did NOT smell like pale ale. Instead, it smelled kind of fruity, almost like air freshener. Oof. Mouthfeel was medium with a very mild hoppiness on the tongue. Finish had that same fruitiness, along with a mild bitterness at the extreme finish. Hmmm. My C/S host does not get excited about the majority of Alaskan's beers, characterizing them as BBQ beers - bring them to a BBQ and not feel bad if they get consumed. I'll agree with that on this beer.

Aroma: Mild yet complex aroma of mild citrus, flowery and malt notes.

Appearance: Pours clear, golden yellow with a tall white head, highly carbonated

Flavor: Balanced towards the malts, some hops flavor. The bitterness is on the low end.

Mouth feel: It has a medium-light body

Overall Impression: Easy drinking almost boring it is subtle in flavor and aroma. There is nothing that stands out with this beer (neither good nor bad). It seems to align with the style guidelines and the style guideline for a Blonde Ale describes a (boring) beer, I would not drink. I prefer beers with bigger flavor and more character.

12oz bottle.

Poured a medium golden color with a small sized white head. Aromas of citrus with some sweet malts. Tastes of citrus and the same maltiness. This one was fine, but there was nothing that really stood out for me...

Notes from 10/28/06.

Pours a clear medium gold, topped with a two finger foamy off-white head, leaves webs of lacing.
Fruity aroma, toast, candy and floral notes as well.
Fruity taste, apricot, mild floral bitterness, toast, light toffee.
Light to medium bodied, drinkable but would get boring after awhile.

Alaskan Pale from Alaskan Brewing Co.