Alaskan Winter Ale | Alaskan Brewing Co.

good
Alaskan Winter AleAlaskan Winter Ale

Alaskan Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
alaskanbeer.com

Style: Old Ale

Brewed in the style of an English Olde Ale, this ale balances the sweet heady aroma of spruce tips with the clean crisp finish of noble hops. Its malty richness is complemented by the warming sensation of alcohol.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-03-2001

1.4/5  rDev -61.6%

L: flat looking, thin head, red amber body, not what you expect for A winter warmer.
A: malt, dark fruit
F: heavy but feels like brewer didn't put much effort into it
T: like it smells malty and dark fruit but boozy excessively boozy, and 6.4 abv, fine if it's 9% or more but it's 6.4. Also has cider taste.
O: expected more winter spice, spruce, pine taste. Was moreso a strong Belgian ale with weak abv something I'll never buy again glad I only got 1. Not smooth, unbalanced. Almost undrinkable but I drank it any way because if i bought it i'm going to drink it. But I strongly recommend on passing it and never trying.

1.7/5  rDev -53.4%

I used to put spruce tips in my mouth as a child and the result was always the same; after the initial curiosity wore off, they were not worth a second taste.

Similarly, I could not tolerate a second taste of this beer. I've had spruce tip jelly, which is nice on a piece of toast and even worth finishing a small jar but this flavor in an otherwise fine beer seemed misguided, even freakish to me.

Pine tar is great for a baseball bat but makes beer taste horrible. I bought a six pack for a social event and drank one of these with the impression of "Yes, indeed, they put a spruce tree in that beer alright." I tried to sucker in a few of the other guests but ended up leaving the five orphans to fend for themselves. For all I know, they're still in need of a drinker...

1.83/5  rDev -49.9%

Tried this after seeing the positive reviews and was very disappointed. Very sweet, tastes like raspberries; looks and smells like apple cider. Weird after taste, too.

1.85/5  rDev -49.3%

Pours a very clear amber with a small head of large bubbles that dissipates very quickly; Glows gold in the light and leaves very minimal lacing.
'
Smells - quick whiffs of honeylike malts and the tiniest nip of hops, but I may be deceived on that front because of the intense smell of pine - these are brewed with spruce tips, and the impression that I get is lots of spice. Definitely a spiced winter beer.

Sleek, a little oily feeling mouthful, and similar caramelly malts give way immediately to the somewhat harsh taste of spruce - a bit too much, in my opinion. In fact, this beer is a bit one-sided - it's like drinking a Christmas tree.

Mouthfeel is quickly fizzy, then totally flat as the bubbles of carbonation pop immediately and give way to oily pine liquid.

Overall, I didn't like this one. It makes my face pucker and makes me feel sick to my stomach. I bought a six pack of these and could only manage to drink three (on subsequent evenings). Trying to drink two in a row just would not fly.

2.07/5  rDev -43.3%

Pours a clear golden color, bubbly without much foam sticking around on top. Thick caramel syrup and amber malt aroma, a bit of some pine in there and a hint of too-sweet bread. Pale malt flavor starts things off then, out of nowhere, blueberries. The blueberry flavor is pretty prevalent and I might be mistaking it for the pine needle flavor they were trying for. I get some bitter piney flavor too. This is a thick, syrupy beer and is a bit undercarbonated.

I used to like this beer years ago when I was first getting into the craft beer scene. I remember the pine flavor being prevalent but not overpowering. But this most recent tasting was very different. The prevailing flavor was cough syrupish. I hope that this is due to a recipe change and they go back to the original, because if it's my taste buds that are to blame for this reversal in flavor then all hope is lost for this beer.

2.1/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

2.18/5  rDev -40.3%

330 ML poured into a Great Divide glass

A-- Poured a brownish gold color, was an aggressive pour and the foam went everywhere. Pretty decently carbonated and have a solid 2 finger head that slowly fades away. Head is a off white and leaving some lacing but not as much as there was foam from the lame pour.

S-- Sweet, very sweet.. malt, sugar, carmel.

T-- Sugar and the carmel are pretty apparent, and a lot of it also.

M-- The sweetness just kills the mouthfeel. it is Ok carbonated though

D-- Long story short.... Loved this beer in Tucson 2 years ago. Now?? ICK. Really sweet and it is a problem. I do remember getting the spruce needles smell from the 07 version. This is sugar and carmel. not a lot of roasted malts. A really good brewery but this version is just plain bad. So glad I just got a single bottle.

2.24/5  rDev -38.6%

"IPA colored", clear with ok head, retention and lacing. Not much of an aroma except cheap candy like notes that the taste also suffers from. Alright carbonation. Rather WTF of a beer, IMO. Not sure what the story is behind this beer but I am not digging it one bit!
3.5, 2, 2, 3.5, 2

2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

I picked up a six-pack of Alaskan Winter Ale at a grocery store to taste and review. I poured this beer into a pint tumbler.

Pours a light brown color with an orange/red hue. The beer is slightly cloudy. Minimal fizzy head, even on an aggressive pour, is gone in a flash, with no lacing at all. It leaves the beer looking a little flat, and a little like cider.

The smell is quite strong and has a very fruity and sweet aroma.

The taste is quite sweet and fruity as well. It has a cidery or a bit of a wine taste, with hints of sweet malts and sugars. There is a bit of a maple or molasses taste. I think this one is a little over the top on sweetness and fruity flavors. A stronger bitter hop presence would appeal to me.

Mouth feel is light, a bit cloying and somewhat syrupy, although that may be an illusion due to the sweetness.

This is a drinkable beer, but I wouldn’t want to have more than a couple in a sitting. It’s a little sweeter than I like. If you like a fruity beer, or a lambic, this one might be for you.

2.29/5  rDev -37.3%

Oh no! What happened to this awesomly delicious beer? I even asked the owner or brewer at the great American Beer Fest when it would be released this year. I hyped it up at my local liquor store to the clerks. There is no pine smell or taste whatsoever. Did global warming wipe out all spruce trees in Alaska? This years' offering reminds me of a weak Fat Tire Ale.

2.3/5  rDev -37%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a light amber color with 3/4 of an inch of white head that almost instantly dissipated and left minimal lacing.

The most noticeable aroma was a sweet, almost fruity, scent that carried none of the expected malt or spice of the style. The flavor was also dominantly sweet and fruity, not rich earth fruits like you might find in other examples of the style, but Froot Loops style fruit. Not pleasant. No spice or hops noticeable.

The body was on the thin side for the style, but not bad. Drinkability was good, but not great. Given the sweetness of this beer, perhaps it would more enjoyable during warmer weather.

Overall, give it a shot if you want add another beer to your list, otherwise avoid.

2.36/5  rDev -35.3%

12oz. bottle poured a light amber color with some slow bubbles, very little head and not much lacing. Not much of an aroma in this with faint scents of alcohol, hops, and a bit of spice. Taste is not very pleasing to me. I taste a blend of pine with some sweet, sour, spice, and bitter notes with nothing that stands out on its own. Mouth feel is about the only thing I like in this beer. I would probably try this brew one more time in the future just to make sure it doesn't taste as bad as this one.

2.48/5  rDev -32.1%

Don't leave this beer in the snow. Too cold. Take it out of the fridge for a bit before you serve it. The coldness hides the spices. I'm getting a malty smell at first and not much else. I also expect more from a beer labeled "Alaskan Winter". Like maybe some caribou blood? It's also labeled with "spruce tips". Ya i get a little spicy/spruce aroma but not enough to complement this winter brew. Sorry Alaskan... Not impressed.

2.53/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours a clear copper color with a good one finger of head that quickly settled to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Not getting much from the aroma. A little fruit and toffee.

What the hell is the flavor suppose to be? Blueberries is all I can taste. Tastes like a summer fruit flavored wheat ale. Nothing like I expected. Very sweet. Where is the spruce?

The mouthfeel is easily the best part of the beer. Not quite medium bodied and nicely carbonated. I actually enjoyed the texture.

Should be advertised and labeled as a fruit flavored beer and take spruce off the label. Then I would of never bought a six pack of this. Not enjoying the flavor.

2.56/5  rDev -29.9%

12 oz twist-off.

It pours a clear orangeish amber with a tightly foamed creamy looking off-white head. It sticks for a good while.

The smell is interesting. Definitely spruced up. There is also this taffy like smell.

The flavor isn't that great imo. It is just like the most basic golden ale you could imagine. Slightly buttery with a hint of spruce.

2.56/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have always been a bit disappointed with this one.

Pours an amber color, with a pretty decent head... looks pretty good.

Smells a bit sour and "off". Don't know what it is, but this beer to me comes off as dusty and old.

The taste is to strange for me too. I expect a winter beer from Alaska to warm my belly, but this one just tastes like a funky fruit.

Mouthfeel is ok, but it's not really a flavor I want lingering in my mouth.

I really like Alaskan Amber, and Smoked Porter, but I can do without this one.

2.58/5  rDev -29.3%

Clear dark orange with big off white head.

Smell seems a bit understated light malts minor spicing. I'm trying really hard to smell any spruce tips not much coming to the surface.

The flavor has some spruce hoppiness as well as some alcohol. Spices and bland maltyness.

Smooth mouthfeel, medium body

My overall feeling is meh from Alaskan Winter. I like that they put a spin on the classic winter seasonal but I think it is another reason why so few people live in Alaska through all four seasons.

Alaskan Winter Ale from Alaskan Brewing Co.