Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Alaskan Smoked Porter | Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan Smoked PorterAlaskan Smoked Porter
4.15/5
Exceptional
Alaskan Smoked PorterAlaskan Smoked Porter

Alaskan Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
alaskanbeer.com

Style: American Porter

The dark, robust body and pronounced smoky flavor of this limited edition beer make it an adventuresome taste experience. Alaskan Smoked Porter is produced in limited "vintages" each year on November 1 and unlike most beers, may be aged in the bottle much like fine wine.

Added by Bierman9 on 10-18-2001

Ratings: 2,048 |  Reviews: 985
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. 2012 release.

A: Deep brown color, very close to black. One inch of beige head settles after a short time. Lacing is spotty.

S: Campfire and smoke. Woody. Chocolate and hot fudge sauce. Roasted coffee beans. Cherry/raspberry esters. Brown sugar. Undercurrents of vanilla bean. As it warms and opens the complexity grows. Wonderful nose.

T: Cola and blackstrap molasses. Woody. Smokiness slowly creeps onto the palate until it reaches a crescendo on the mid-palate. Campfire, soot, and woody smoke. Slight vanilla undercurrent. Roasted malts build. Soot and chocolate truffles. Black cocoa powder. Roasted coffee beans. Moderate acidity. Cherry and raspberry esters. The finish is a heavenly combination of smoke, cola, fudgy chocolate, and roasted coffee.

M: Medium bodied, though it seems much lighter on the palate. Creamy and full in an airy sort of way, but it really helps to exaggerate the smokiness just a bit more. Very little carbonation. Silky and smooth.

O: Bar none this is possibly the best smoked beer I've ever had. Everything comes together in a perfect harmony. It's very smoky, but in such a way that it perfectly compliments the flavor profile of the beer rather than just challenging the palate. Eminently drinkable. A perfect pairing with smoked and grilled meats (obviously), and also a wide range of desserts. This would not strike me as a great cellaring candidate, but by all accounts it does very well with a little time under its belt. I'm going to have to see about that.

1.25/5  rDev -69.9%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Have had this numerous times - a truly memorable brew. The magic begins on the nose. Fantastically smoky - so far beyond any other smoked beer I've had. Alaskan Brewery has knocked it out of the park in the smoky category.

And this element carries well onto the palate. Smokiness fills your head, adding a unique chracteristic onto the more traditional porter qualities. Complemented with roastiness, and a slight sweetness as the finish sets in place.

Whenever in the mood for a smoky brew, for me, nothing else comes close.

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Smoked beers are fickle for me. Some are good… some are GREAT. But some just plain suck. For instance, Rogue makes a smoked beer that is basically breakfast in a glass. It doesn't taste smoked at all. Doesn't taste like breakfast, either. Then Stone released an oak smoked Old Guardian, their delicious barleywine, a few weeks ago. It tastes like the inside of a barrel. SO good. Alaskan has never impressed me, so I am curious to see what this bomber tastes like. I was lucky when shopping at Total Wine & More a few weeks ago. They had a bottle of 2011 sitting on the shelf. Should be prime right now! Oh, and this beer comes from Juneau, Alaska. I used to tell a joke about Juneau. I would tell it here, but I would have to explain it. Wouldn't be funny if I have to explain it!

In the Glass: Looks like a porter. The head is a bit thin, and while we are drinking this cold, I expected a thicker head than this. Not writing this one off, but that is a bad first impression. Not much lace, either. They used the word "oily" in the tasting notes. I can see that from the lace.

Nose: Wow… that smells smokey! Good. I was hoping there would be at least a hint of smoke with a beer called Smoked Porter! I would love to visit a brewing company and watch them actually smoke a beer. Some breweries use chips that are already smoked and some use malts that taste like smoke. That's faking it, I say! I can already tell you this beer is too cold, so I am going to let this sit for a few minutes before I drink. Be right back!

Flavor: OK, I am back. By the way, the aroma is really starting to open up. Let's see what it tastes like. This is my favorite part, but the way. The smoke really carries over. It's not overwhelming, but this is REALLY smokey. There is a TON of unexpected carbonation, that I will talk about next, but the flavor is really nice. It is still a bit too cold, but I am impressed with the amount of smoke coming through here. Now I really want to go and see them brew this! I swished the second sip around in my mouth, and the bubbles were intense. However, the flavor didn't really change. It almost settled as I did that. Not a typical experience when doing this. Anyway, great flavor.

Mouthfeel: I expected this beer to be thick. Especially when they called it "oily" in the tasting notes. Not thick at all, and there are WAY too many bubbles going on here. I am going to let my second half get to room temperature because I bet this really opens up as it heats up. We just drank a bottle of Parabola, and it was only good warm. If I get my hands on another bottle, I won't chill it at all! I will say the mouthfeel does leave an almost residue going on here.

Aftertaste: For as much flavor I am getting, I expected the smoke to continue. It does, but it quickly fades. The smoke does linger… I almost want them to age this in some bourbon barrels. Imagine that flavor. This beer, according to the label, is an award winner. While I believe that, it's not going to win any awards in my book. There are better flavors for smoked beers on the market.

It's OK Alaskan, you did your best. You did a great job getting smoke on the nose and on the palate… but there are just better longer lasting smoked beers on the market. However, I like it. I would like to see this with double the ABV, a little thicker, and a tad less carbonated. Past that, bottoms up!

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Deep black body with glints of red along the edges when held up to light. Good lacing and a sticky light brown head that lasts forever.

S: Campfire smoke and roast, milk chocolate, sweet bready malt, coffee, very subtle hop.

T/M: Nice coffee/hop bitterness upfront, a crescendo of smoky flavor that blends with milk chocolate, subtle coffee and dark fruit, and a sweet malt middle. Very drying smoke and roast on the finish, very long aftertaste.

Overall, a great porter and a great smoked beer. Very complex and flavorful for the abv, if this was year round it would contend as a fridge regular. But since its not, it will be a winter favorite of mine for time to come.

3.89/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours near black with a deep ruby tinge. Tan, finger width head with fair retention. Leaves a solid layer of microbubbles coating the surface. Lacing is spotty at best.

Smell - Aroma is classic smoke character, like you'd find in applewood smoked bacon. Strong, pungent and near hypnotic. Overpowers most, if not all other character in the brew.

Taste - Much like the nose, predominant smoke flavor upfront and throughout. Roasted malt character comes through with ghost like transparency. Near undetectable. A touch of sweetness. Finishes as it starts; smokey!

Mouthfeel - Medium in body with moderate carbonation. Goes down smooth.

Overall - I don't know that this is a porter so much as it is a classic Smoked Beer, as the smoke character dominates the entire flavor profile (unlike Stone's Smoked Porter where the roasted malt character is clearly present). This is very good, but as a porter it doesn't quite cut it. I enjoyed it, but I'm divided on whether I'd buy it again; the price is a major turn off.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Alaskan Smoked Porter from Alaskan Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.15 out of 5 with 2,048 ratings