Alaskan White | Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan WhiteAlaskan White
3.45/5
Alaskan WhiteAlaskan White

Alaskan Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
alaskanbeer.com

Style: Witbier

Alaskan White Ale has a soft, slightly sweet base with the unique spice aroma of coriander and crisp, citrus finish of orange peel. A light and effervescent body combined with the smooth palate creates a complex and delicate beer that is deliciously refreshing in any season.

Added by bkilpatr on 04-11-2009

3.14/5  rDev -9%

3.64/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

How have I never ticked this one? Surprisingly clear (for a witbier) light orange.. short-lived white head... Soft wheat and coriander.. orange peel seems a little sweet, but not bad.. Very nice when it is soooo hot... Drink colder or a bit of fruity ester arises that seems out of place.. Very nice and always a go-to for me in the summer months.

3.5/3.75/3.5/3.75/3.75

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

While I enjoy this style once in a while, I have yet to find an offering that I truly love. However, I found this to be more enjoyable to other wits I have had.

L- light and slightly hazy golden/orange. I swirled the last 1/4 and aggressively poured it to get the a good, two finger head (I assumed there was some yeast at the bottom by the style, although the bottle gave no indication to pour this way). Looks good however not as hazy as some other wits I have had so a little out of style.
S - I didn't get a ton here. Slight citrus, wheat and a tiny bit of banana esters. Not a very strong nose.
T- luckily this is where I most enjoyed the beer. Very flavorful compared to the nose and compared to many white ales I have had so far. Sweet, bready wheat and citrus. Estery, banana from the yeast. Very refreshing!
F- A little thin but I suppose that is expected from the style. For, it's sweetness and subtle spices it finished pretty crisp, making it a very easy drinking summer beer. Also the spices, particularly coriander are not overpowering which I prefer.
O- One of the better whites I have had. Basically a less artificial, more traditional Blue Moon.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

3.56/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Alaskan Brewing's Alaskan White for $1.79 at Boyne Country Provisions. I'ts been a little while since I've had a White Ale and I thought I would give this one a shot, so lets see how it goes. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Witbier glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a fairly clear yellow color that took on more of golden color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end with some patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with some nice orange aromas being the first to show up and they take on more of an orange peel like aroma. Up next comes the spices with coriander being the first to show and it leads into a light malty aroma with some typical wheat aromas coming through and there's a light doughy aroma. This beer has a nice aroma, but I wish the malts and wheat showed up more.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the orange still being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects, but this time there's also a light juicy orange aspect. Up next comes the spices which are a little lighter than they were in the aroma, but the coriander still stick out the most. Up next comes the malts and wheat which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they show up same amount. On the finish there's no bitterness with an orange like aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but I wish the orange and spices were toned down a little.

M Smooth, crisp, a little clean, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of the style, it tasted and smelled nice, but in the end I wish it had a little better balance. This beer had nice drinkability, I could drink a couple of these, especially in the summer. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance and mouthfeel, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, it needs some work. I don't think I would buy this beer again, if I wanted an orange heavy wheat beer I would just drink an Oberon, but I wouldn't turn one down. It's worth trying if you like your wheat beer heavy on the orange and a little heavy on the spice. All in all I didn't mind this beer, but i wanted a little more balance out of it, I think that would make it a pretty good beer. This beer is pretty average for the brewery and it's a little above average for the style. Nice job guys, but I think with a little more work this could be a pretty good beer.

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Smells and looks okay, but I couldn't get over the horrible metallic, bloody after taste.

3.62/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap. Hazy golden color with a two finger head that slowly recedes leaving a little lacing. Good nose of orange and spices. Taste is citrus with a good wheat backbone and enough hops and spice to provide an interesting finish. Medium body and medium carbonation with no alcohol or bitter aftertaste.
It's a solid and refreshing witbier that is good on a summer day. It's not something I'd seek out or buy a 6er of.

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%

3.89/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled yesterday evening on 6/22/15. 12 ounce bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "BLIND TIGER BREWERY" pint glass.

Brew pours a hazy burnt-orange in color with a good 2+-finger foamy white head. A decent amount of lacing is seen when sipped. Lots of sediment is seen in the bottom of the bottle after the pour which is common actually for this brew style. Aroma is of wheat, coriander and citrus zest. The taste is close to the nose with some white grape with some spice also. You can taste the orange and lemon zest near the finish. Also a very slight bitter finish but didn't last more than a second or two. Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Overall, it was a decent brew and better than some of this style I have had.

3.08/5  rDev -10.7%

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.24/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.44/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.39/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.48/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a light gold with some yeast settlement and thin white head. Little retention and lacing.

S: Wheat, citrus, lemon, orange peel, and coriander.

T: White bread, citrus, orange, some subtle tartness, coriander, and white grape. It surprisingly finished kinda sour.

M: Light bodied, low carbonation, not much to it.

O: Admittedly this is not a style I am particularly fond of. That being said this isn't a bad beer, it just lacks anything to make it stand out.

3.54/5  rDev +2.6%

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.31/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.48/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Alaskan White from Alaskan Brewing Co.